Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotel’s recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay – Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC they have a staff position that's called something like an elite experience manager. They seem to be good at Diamond/Glob recognition as SOP.
The person that offered me the 9k points had the title VIP supervisor, the person that gave me a $50 dining credit (unprompted) was just over text!

As I type this I think I need to bump up their rating to 5/5, it wasn't perfect but they did their best to make it as good as possible.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:29 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

IIRC they have a staff position that's called something like an elite experience manager. They seem to be good at Diamond/Glob recognition as SOP.
Thank you for the post
This is the best way for Globalists to achieve the ultimate stay possible typically
No matter how many times folks reach out to the GM the VIP coordinator is still the best way to go here
The coordinator works directly with the rooms executive and can work their magic right up to arrival
The Manchester runs a class act these days and it’s taken decades to get it back to the way Alan Randall the GM in the past ran it
This is the best the hotel has ever achieved imho despite the occasional hiccups
Over the past 5 years and post renovation the Manchester is a true Gold standard Hyatt hotel and one of the very best of our city
I truly look up to their kindness & generosity to Globalists and exceeding my expectations and those of my guests
Happy New Year All
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Will be here for a convention in May and am wondering if I need a car or if easy to walk to various activities. Just want to be able to get out a little and experience some of the area/city.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jan 17, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Will be here for a convention in May and am wondering if I need a car or if easy to walk to various activities. Just want to be able to get a little and experience some of the area/city.
No, everything is walking or a quick Uber. If you want to eat at a good place in the Italian district, make a reservation a few days in advance. No where to park except hotel and the airport is super close.
LIH Prem and Stgermainparis like this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Hikmer01
No, everything is walking or a quick Uber. If you want to eat at a good place in the Italian district, make a reservation a few days in advance. No where to park except hotel and the airport is super close.
IMO I'd want a car for the zoo etc., La Jolla/UCSD/Black's Beach, or generally for the coast and beaches. However, downtown San Diego etc. is walkable, and even. the airport too if you don't have much luggage and have a lot of time.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:14 pm

Programs: Delta
IMO I'd want a car for the zoo etc., La Jolla/UCSD/Black's Beach, or generally for the coast and beaches. However, downtown San Diego etc. is walkable, and even. the airport too if you don't have much luggage and have a lot of time.
If it was a "vacation" i'd agree, but for a conference that you need to attend daily sessions...and in winter...no car needed. Cost you $25+ extra a night to park it.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Uber works very well in SD.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Hikmer01
If it was a "vacation" i'd agree, but for a conference that you need to attend daily sessions...and in winter...no car needed. Cost you $25+ extra a night to park it.
Of course you wouldn't want to pay to park a rental car during an entire conference unless spouse and kids are doing sightseeing every day. There's a car rental desk (IIRC Hertz) right in the lobby so it would be easy to rent a car for just the day it's needed.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Thanks for the advice. Yeah that $25 parking fee is rough. I think no rental. Only there three nights so will just hang out nearby or Uber. Our next leg of the trip is a drive up PCH with first stop in Santa Barbara, so SD can be our walk around spot without a car.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:22 pm

Are you sure parking is only $25 per night? That would be lower than I would expect. [Of course, it should be free for Globs on award stays.]
bbbb likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Are you sure parking is only $25 per night? That would be lower than I would expect. [Of course, it should be free for Globs on award stays.]
It's $40 self park, $55 valet.

$25 would be an off the charts bargain in downtown SD.
MSPeconomist and happychic like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's $40 self park, $55 valet.

$25 would be an off the charts bargain in downtown SD.
Even rougher. Yikes. I reserved a car for road trip on our checkout date from GH. That way no parking fees. And we are going to be doing driving and exploring for the week following, so we will just explore on foot or via uber while at GH.

Does anyone know if the sofas in the standard suites have pull out beds?

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jan 18, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:26 pm

The website says the signature suites with kings have pullouts.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:51 pm

Even rougher. Yikes. I reserved a car for road trip on our checkout date from GH. That way no parking fees. And we are going to be doing driving and exploring for the week following, so we will just explore on foot or via uber while at GH.

Yes the standard suites have a very large pullout couch. Stayed three last month.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Will be here the end of January. Couple questions.

1 - Lounge - WIKI indicates free wine/beer for the first hour. Another post talks about drinks being an honor bar.??

2 - We have already called and applied our Explorist "club access award". I notice one poster had a problem with it. Any concerns?

3 - Since lounge is in the Harbor Tower, I assume I should ask for that tower?

4 - Beds. We on award stay and it only showed two queens available, so we took that. Prefer king of course, but surely do not want a room with doubles (vs Queen) - Comments?

Thanks Everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.