Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotel’s recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay – Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
I had a rental car booked for our 4 night stay here but after checking the $35 + tax parking rate and the fact that we may not even use it for a couple of days while we explore the downtown and nearby areas, I cancelled it and will use Uber/Lyft. However I do see that there is a Hertz counter in the hotel itself and may likely take a car for a day if needed to explore areas further away.

My question (to anyone who has used the Hertz car rental) is whether this location allows after hours returns. In other words I could pick up the car at 8.30 am and bring it back in the evening after the rental desk closes and simply park it in the designated Hertz spots thereby avoiding the parking charge. Any experiences? I am also a Hertz 5 star, if that matters in any way.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: Several...
Is it typical with Hyatt that when you book a suite (presidential, penthouse, etc.) you still have to pay for access to the lounge?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
My question (to anyone who has used the Hertz car rental) is whether this location allows after hours returns. In other words I could pick up the car at 8.30 am and bring it back in the evening after the rental desk closes and simply park it in the designated Hertz spots thereby avoiding the parking charge. Any experiences? I am also a Hertz 5 star, if that matters in any way.
The official Hertz policy is no (i.e., official return time is when the office next opens), but I'd call the specific Hertz location directly to inquire. Usually IME, they'll count an after hours dropoff as being that day.

Originally Posted by soliloquy
Is it typical with Hyatt that when you book a suite (presidential, penthouse, etc.) you still have to pay for access to the lounge?
It's property-dependent. You need to check the room description. I find many US-based properties do not include club lounge access with suites, but it's more common for international properties to do so.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:23 pm

Does anyone have the contact information of the GM of this Hyatt?

I have a GoH stay coming up and would like to see if it's possible to get upgraded to a suite and confirm I'll get free parking and waived destination fees.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:38 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by fr33b13
Does anyone have the contact information of the GM of this Hyatt?

I have a GoH stay coming up and would like to see if it's possible to get upgraded to a suite and confirm I'll get free parking and waived destination fees.
Blown away
I'm staying here now and can say after coming to this property since the 80s it has never been better and now remains one of the better Hyatt's
in the world based on recognition/upgrade as available & club lounge standards^
The hotel reached out to me before my stay by email and said they wanted to do better than the base level confirmed suite at check in if they could.That's incredible and they did!!!!
Love the property one of my favorite Hyatt's in the world.Didn't use to be
If you are a Globalist there is no need to reach out to the GM that's silly.There is a VIP coordinator that coordinates any of your needs
If your on award redemption as a Globalist self parking is free however not valet.All destination fees revenue or award is waived for all Globalists
The property is a role model for all Hyatt's WOH loyalty is respected and understood grandly here!
Typically Hilton and Marriott will never get the lions share of my business despite my Lifetime Titanium status or Diamond status with them if this can be what I can expect from Hyatt
If other Hyatt properties start measuring up with the excellence of Manchester Grand Hyatt has demonstrated I wont be looking at other chains unless no other choice
Hyatt at the top of their game IMHO

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 5, 2019 at 8:18 pm
Old May 5, 2019, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's awesome. I've stayed at this hotel before and really liked it. I'm kind of leaning more towards the Andaz because I like it too and the location is slightly better. But this makes me want to split my business between the two.

Both Cat 4 now too! So I have a place to use those certs.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:06 pm

Friday night the club food was so nice we never went out to dinner though the original plan was to go to Eddie Vs which we are doing tonight
They had roasted chicken in a sauce Friday night in the club while not marvelous it was fair enough
The salad was excellent with high quality dressing cous cous, baked stuffed potatoes and other side dishes like corn,vegetable crudites and my favorite glass bottles of Perrier
Sick of Budoir that weak bubbly stuff that became trendy and cheaper for hotels to buy.
Hildon and Voss were the trendy waters before that but I'll take Perrier and Pelligrino over most the others any day
This is the way Hyatt use to do Clubs reasonably First Class.Whats happening in some other Hyatt lounges can be disappointing .
This should be close to or the standard at all Domestic Hyatts as they whip Marriott, Hilton & IHG to shreds
This is what brought me to the table @ Hyatt wanting to be a Lifetime top tier member not whats going on in some other clubs
I'm actually confused why this hotel wishes to exceed expectations
Its def not a trend I am seeing at other Hyatt's generally.But truly refreshing to see
Dessert was very modest but fairly good a chocolate mousse cake thing

Speaking of Andaz San Diego while a lovely hotel and well respected the noise on weekends from the Gaslamp leaves me out sadly
Much like Andaz West Hollywood who for years keeps saying we are going to soundproof our windows after numerous guest complaints though it has never happened
Be awesome if both hotels get on board with sound proofing>for me only in a pinch.Recommend ear plugs if you go.May be ok early on the weeknights

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 5, 2019 at 8:12 pm
Old May 5, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've heard that complaint about the Andaz. I've stayed on weekends and it doesn't bother me. I'm usually out late anyway, and if not, noise doesn't keep me awake. I have slept many nights in Vegas hotels with people partying in a room in the floor and I never cared about that either. Light in the room bothers me (especially sunlight) so good blackout curtains are a necessity but I don't care about noise.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:41 pm

Your a better man than I!
Regretfully I'm a light sleeper
Look forward to a trip report on Andaz SD after your stay
Enjoy!
Old May 5, 2019, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Your a better man than I!
Regretfully I'm a light sleeper
Look forward to a trip report on Andaz SD after your stay
Enjoy!
Nothing planned yet but I will definitely be back!
Old May 5, 2019, 9:19 pm

Blown away
I'm staying here now and can say after coming to this property since the 80s it has never been better and now remains one of the better Hyatt's
in the world based on recognition/upgrade as available & club lounge standards^
The hotel reached out to me before my stay by email and said they wanted to do better than the base level confirmed suite at check in if they could.That's incredible and they did!!!!
Love the property one of my favorite Hyatt's in the world.Didn't use to be
If you are a Globalist there is no need to reach out to the GM that's silly.There is a VIP coordinator that coordinates any of your needs
If your on award redemption as a Globalist self parking is free however not valet.All destination fees revenue or award is waived for all Globalists
The property is a role model for all Hyatt's WOH loyalty is respected and understood grandly here!
Typically Hilton and Marriott will never get the lions share of my business despite my Lifetime Titanium status or Diamond status with them if this can be what I can expect from Hyatt
If other Hyatt properties start measuring up with the excellence of Manchester Grand Hyatt has demonstrated I wont be looking at other chains unless no other choice
Hyatt at the top of their game IMHO
Nice! Happy you had a good stay.

I'm not a Globalist, but my Globalist friend helped me do a Guest of Honor booking. I'm not sure if I'll get the same treatment. I hope I do!
Old May 25, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: Several...
How many penthouse suites are in this hotel and where are they located (what floor(s))?
Old May 25, 2019, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I had one that was the size of four rooms on the top floor of the building that's closest to the Marriott and convention center. It was the same floor as a bar and had a handful of additional rooms, including one connected to the kitchen and dining area size of the huge living room, so that if could be sold as a two bedroom suite, the size of five regular rooms and with 2.5 bathrooms.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by fr33b13
Nice! Happy you had a good stay.

I'm not a Globalist, but my Globalist friend helped me do a Guest of Honor booking. I'm not sure if I'll get the same treatment. I hope I do!
Yes, GOH experience is supposed to be identical to globalist. I’ve booked GOH for friends at half a dozen properties in the past year when I was not there, from Hyatt Regency to Park Hyatt, and each hotel delivered in spades. I would certainly mention GOH to FD if they don’t verbally acknowledge.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Blown away
.There is a VIP coordinator that coordinates any of your needs

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't valet parking be free for Globalists? I'm told you can charge it to the room so shouldn't it be free?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.