Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotel’s recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay – Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

Just finished up a multi-night stay here and here’s my impressions.

Overall Hotel -

It was a very nice hotel, well maintained, very large it felt very similar to a Larger Las Vegas hotel such as Bellagio, MGM Grand or Wynn (which are all great properties IMO).

Some areas were lacking such as the family pool area felt a bit tired, and one jacuzzi was not working.

I’d say a hard 9/10.

Room -

The day of the stay a VIP Host reached out to let us know he had upgraded us to a Standard Suite which was very nice of him. The Signature Suite was a great Suite to stay in. It could easily sleep 6, even 8 if you needed to fit that many. The VIP Host noted it was a special occasion and sent up a bottle of champagne which was much appreciated.

Solid 10/10

Housekeeping -

Were good at stocking the room and refreshing everything. However I guess they are in charge of pool toys and things we called the FD twice asking who said Housekeeping would bring them and never did so I kind of dampened our pool experience.

8/10

Globalist Lounge/Grand Club

Overall Great Grand Club in terms of set up, appearance and offerings.

Breakfast -

Served typically scrambled eggs (which were very good), chicken sausage (just okay), bacon (a bit overcooked or was sitting awhile even when it was refilled), an assortment of pastries, fruit and cereal as well. Wish they had Pancakes or French Toast and Pork Sausage, but still great overall.

Mid Day Service -

Was okay, mostly snacks.

Evening Service (Edited) -

Nothing very special, Chicken putanesca was good, free beer/wine between 5-6pm. Desserts were good as well. Wish they had a better/different rotation in the appetizers served.

It was very busy during Breakfast and Dinner service which is when the attendant came up to everyone to ask their name and room number.

Snacks and drinks offered throughout the day, FD said 24 hours but wife tried at 3am and it was closed.

Solid 9/10

The one thing that we had an issue with was the Front Desk. No one was available at the WOH desk for check in so a regular FDA called us over. She advised us that Globalists, because they have waived destination fees, do not receive any of the benefits at the hotel. We asked if she was sure and she seemed quite certain. Which would make no sense a waived fee means that the fee is covered, meaning you should still get whatever benefit the fee was in place for that’s the point. Then she attempted to switch us out of the pre-upgraded Suite asking if we’d rather have a bay view room.

I just don’t think she deals with Globalists much, but that was a bad start/check in experience.

Check in - 5/10.

As I’ve said it’s an overall great property I’d say overall it’s a 9/10, especially for Globs, despite a bumpy start.

Last edited by Matt4200; Mar 1, 2020 at 2:05 pm
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Mid Day Service -

Was okay, mostly snacks.

Dinner -

Nothing very special, Chicken putanesca was good, free beer/wine between 5-6pm. Desserts were good as well.

It was very busy during Breakfast and Dinner service which is when the attendant came up to everyone to ask their name .
No Hyatt club lounge serves “Dinner.” They serve appetizers. While some choose to make a dinner out of it, it’s misleading and inaccurate to evaluate it as a dinner.

Expectation creep (like a focus on trying to get comped premium suites and other recognition/things you aren’t entitled to, beyond the T&Cs) is a dangerous thing...
skj, Kacee and 59Impala like this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
No Hyatt club lounge serves “Dinner.” They serve appetizers. While some choose to make a dinner out of it, it’s misleading and inaccurate to evaluate it as a dinner.

Expectation creep (like a focus on trying to get comped premium suites and other recognition/things you aren’t entitled to, beyond the T&Cs) is a dangerous thing...

I don’t expect a full dinner, when coming in after 5pm the Grand Host welcomed us saying, “Thank you for joining us for our dinner service”.

I did rate it as a 9/10, which had nothing to do with it not being a full meal, just that the options were nothing special. I would have preferred something like Coconut Shrimp or a different appetizer type. Nevertheless I’ve edited it to Evening Service as to not mislead anyone.

I don’t see anywhere where I was actively trying to get anything beyond T&C. In an earlier post I mentioned that I may if it were noted only premium suites were available ask for one, but that I would be perfectly content if they gave a flat, “No”. Which I think is fair. It never hurts to ask and I’ve spoken to many people who did ask and were upgraded. I told the VIP Host, and the GM how thankful I was for the Suite Upgrade. They had premium suites available during our stay and I didn’t ask for them at all. The Signature Suite was great. I’m not disappointed that I was not upgraded to a “Premium Suite”.

A 9/10 overall review I think is stellar considering the issues with housekeeping and the FDA (which the Manager did state Globs do receive the Destination Benefits on Revenue and Award stays even though fees are waived).

Last edited by Matt4200; Mar 1, 2020 at 1:42 pm
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:59 pm

To add to the above review (I forgot one thing)

Valet -

Excellent Job, well staffed, always would get our vehicle promptly during our stay. We always have a tip when taking our vehicle out, and on the last night we decided to treat them all. We bought an assortment of tacos and burritos from the “best taco spot” in San Diego as one of the valet attendants told us. They were very appreciative, it was well deserved they work hard and it looked like they didn’t get out much, especially on a Saturday night.

10/10
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:15 pm

I don’t see anywhere where I was actively trying to get anything beyond T&C. In an earlier post I mentioned that I may if it were noted only premium suites were available ask for one
And that’s where we disagree. I think that regularly “asking” for something you know you aren’t entitled to is inappropriate. Your setting a expectation when you do that, pushing the limits, and worst of all you are putting people “on the spot.”

In ten years I’ve never, not once, asked for a comped premium suite (although I too have had many “surprise and delight” moments where they’ve just given me one). I have also (crazy thought I know) paid for them.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:27 pm

And that’s where we disagree. I think that regularly “asking” for something you know you aren’t entitled to is inappropriate. Your setting a expectation when you do that, pushing the limits, and worst of all you are putting people “on the spot.”

In ten years I’ve never, not once, asked for a comped premium suite (although I too have had many “surprise and delight” moments where they’ve just given me one). I have also (crazy thought I know) paid for them.
You may disagree, but again it’s still just hypothetical as it’s not what actually happened. I’m not regularly “asking”, but I don’t feel an objection to “asking” should specific circumstances arise. Again it’s not a regular occurrence because typically I am pre-upgraded. I was told I was upgraded to a Signature Suite and I was perfectly happy with that. In the case the one was not available I may have prodded “the term used in the Glob upgrade thread” asking if it was possible. Had they said no I would’ve been fine.

I see one big issue though, the policy of pre-upgrading Globs. Which according to T&C is violating terms.

Say you have a Glob arriving on 3/2 who has never been there before arriving for a weeklong stay. Then another Glob arriving on 3/3 for a 5 night stay only this Glob has been to the property 10x in the last year, and there’s only one Suite left. The VIP Host would almost assuredly upgrade the more loyal Glob, despite the rules stating they must get what available “at check in” which is a day after the other Glob. That goes against the T&C, yet it would seem it’s a common occurrence.

I have no actual need for a premium Suite, which is why there’s no sense in paying additional but I’ve spoken to VIP Hosts who've literally said it never hurts to ask which is why I would ask under certain circumstances and if told it’s not possible then that’s perfectly fine. Still all hypothetical though.

Last edited by Matt4200; Mar 1, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree that you should not expect dinner (as it's not a requirement) but, nonetheless, some lounges do serve dinner. This is one of them. They are serving a full buffet meal. The main dishes could not reasonably be considered appetizers (when I was there, there were full chicken breasts. That's not an appetizer)
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:12 pm

Yeah when I was there they served beef tenderloin in demi glace and also halibut in lemon butter, definitely not appetizers.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Yeah when I was there they served beef tenderloin in demi glace and also halibut in lemon butter, definitely not appetizers.
That’s about what I was hoping for from reading reviews. It’s not expected, but it would enhance the experience. I think it’s an amazing lounge overall (likely the best in the US). The only downside for me is no starch in breakfast if they had hash browns, pancakes or french toast it’d be perfect maybe someday.

As far as evening service, one night there was:

Chicken Putanesca, Green Beans with Other veggies and Chicken Mixed along with a Salad option with many mix ins.

I noticed a few people had an issue with the honor bar though in trying to get mixed drinks since the staff have the liquor in another room and you’d have to flag someone down to have them make one.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I see one big issue though, the policy of pre-upgrading Globs. Which according to T&C is violating terms.
There is absolutely nothing in the WoH T&Cs prohibiting properties from pre-assigning any given room to anybody. What the T&Cs state is that Globs will be assigned the "best room available at the time of check-in". This language doesn't preclude properties from pre-assigning room types, to anyone, above the category actually booked.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
There is absolutely nothing in the WoH T&Cs prohibiting properties from pre-assigning any given room to anybody. What the T&Cs state is that Globs will be assigned the "best room available at the time of check-in". This language doesn't preclude properties from pre-assigning room types, to anyone, above the category actually booked.
There’s nothing precluding asking for a Premium Suite, the property is completely free to say no, but apparently it’s an issue.

If the upgrade is based on the T&C, meaning you’re receiving the upgrade based on your Globalist status then it would seem to go against the spirit of the T&C as equally as asking for a Premium Suite.

The spirit of the T&C is to give all Globs equal opportunity at check in so a Glob checking in on 3/2 should get an upgrade instead of one checking in on 3/3.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
If the upgrade is based on the T&C, meaning you’re receiving the upgrade based on your Globalist status...
You're already contradicting yourself - if the upgrade wasn't given at check-in, then it's not based on the WoH T&Cs.

I haven't commented at all on anything regarding any premium suite upgrades - not sure at all why you're being so defensive about it.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
You're already contradicting yourself - if the upgrade wasn't given at check-in, then it's not based on the WoH T&Cs.

I haven't commented at all on anything regarding any premium suite upgrades - not sure at all why you're being so defensive about it.
It’s based on Glob status though which confers the upgrade, nothing else.

As far as the premium suites I’m sorry, but it seems to be a touchy subject. Many on here jump on me because of it. As soon as someone comments anything against me in terms of simply asking for a Suite upgrade (which I didn’t even do) Several people like that specific comment in support. So that’s why I feel I need to be defensive.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it’s an amazing lounge overall (likely the best in the US).
The HR SF is similar, with a better view.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The HR SF is similar, with a better view.
Definitely noted. There should be a master thread of US Club Lounges and their overall rankings depending on what is served, atmosphere, etc.

I’m now currently at another HR in CA, but no Club Lounge. However, I’ll be at a different HR in Texas in a couple weeks that does have a lounge, definitely won’t expect MGH quality but still hopeful.

Maybe an idea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.