Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotel’s recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay – Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:20 am

Awesome! Kid will love it. I had my three small ones with my wife this summer and that suite is definitely plenty of room to run!

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
Thanks for the replies.

I have a small kid who likes to run around hotel rooms so the bigger the better.

The wife doesn't like heights so lower floors are fine.

Booked.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by MeLike2Travel
Been meaning to post this incredible experience I had at the Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego last month just before the Memorial Day Weekend. I was there to attend a conference. The company I'm with booked me a room and I booked a second room for my in-laws, who came along to take care of our baby. Prior to booking the second room I was able to get Hyatt to match my Hilton Diamond status. I haven't stayed at a Hyatt in a few years, and don't plan on staying at another anytime soon. But with a 5 night stay thought it would be worth it to get the status matched to take advantage of the perks. I called beforehand to utilize one of the suite upgrades and to link the reservations so I could request adjoining rooms. It gets good at check-in....

After the usual pleasantries, giving of my name, etc:
Staff: I'm sorry, but I don't have any rooms that are close together.
Me: (in a pleasant tone) that's too bad. I have my 9 month old daughter and my in-laws here to take care of her. Is there anything you can do to put us close to each other?
Staff: (after tapping keys on the computer for a few minutes) I have a possible resolution that I think you'll like, but I need to check with my manager.
Staff: (after going to the back room for a few minutes) I was actually able to upgrade you to the Penthouse suite. It's a very nice room and you'll all be together.
Me: (lot's of thank yous)

We get to the room, I put the key in the door, and the first thing I see in front of me is a Baby Grand Piano. I was shocked.

The suite was absolutely amazing. We figured it was just over 2,000 square feet, with 2 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms (the master bath had a jet tub and shower), a dining room, living room, and full kitchen. The staff came each day to stock the kitchen with complimentary drinks, beer, wine, and various snacks.

The view was to die for as well. The only other thing that's at the top floor of the hotel is a bar. We had the pleasure of turning left out of the elevator while others were turning right to go to the bar. We received a lot of incredulous looks

We got a cute video of my 9 month old daughter "playing" the piano while sitting on her grandpa's lap. We were told that Jamie Foxx had stayed there last year and they had to come to his room a couple times because people staying in the floor below were complaining about noise. He was having a party in his room and playing the piano. So we have the pleasure of saying our daughter played on the same piano.

Am amazing experience, and it only cost us a total of $750 for the room I booked for my in-laws.
Does anyone know if the description in this old post of the Penthouse Suite is still accurate? Are there really two bedrooms and plenty of space for a family? The online description doesn't explain the bedding, but the from the pictures it looks like there is just one master bedroom with a king bed, and then a couch (can't tell if it's a pull-out or not) in the living room.

Thanks for any input!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:39 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
Thanks for the replies.

I have a small kid who likes to run around hotel rooms so the bigger the better.

The wife doesn't like heights so lower floors are fine.

Booked.
Just wanted to update this since we've completed our stay. Our signature suite was on the 8th floor and had a view of the Midway. It was huge. Definitely enough room for a little one to run around, play with toys, etc. 5/5 for the room.

The only negative for me was that the food for in room dining was fairly average. There's not much variety at all, no real dishes apart from sandwiches like burgers, turkey club, etc. They serve a $20 pizza that isn't fresh -- like a frozen pizza reheated. It comes from the sports bar and not a restaurant. Kind of strange. (Also the serving sizes are enormous. Each item is easily shareable between two adults. Maybe I'm just used to overpriced San Francisco food portions, but there you go.

We also went to Sally's one night and that was also... average. The sushi is terrible and entrees are so so at best.

With all that said, it's easy to walk to any restaurant downtown from the hotel, so if you're spending every night eating out, it's a non-issue. Unfortunately our kid was sick, then dad was sick, etc which meant eating in more than we'd like.

I feel that the experience would be improved if there was a "destination" restaurant onsite which also provided the meals for in room dining.

Last edited by patrick.barnes; Jan 18, 2017 at 1:48 am
Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Is club access included with the larger suites?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:43 am

Hoping they honor your $171 penthouse?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by antonius66
Fingers crossed as I was also able to score the penthouse suite for $170 a night over NYE for 3 nights.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antonius66
No, no Christmas stays for me. Much more expensive.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bcosinteno
Fingers crossed as I was also able to score the penthouse suite for $170 a night over NYE for 3 nights.
They better have 2 of these, otherwise we're roommates.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
They better have 2 of these, otherwise we're roommates.
From what I read, it looks like they have at least 2 if not 3 of the Penthouse suites now.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Hey, the Penthouse has it's own magazine!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:32 am

Broken coffee machine in the club lounge last week which turned into a theme at both hyatts I stayed at on my last trip.

-David
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:35 am

We have a grand club double room reserved for 5 nights in July - is it worth an extra $330 over a queen 2 bed room? We will have two children (6&9) with us. This will be our first Hyatt stay. Thank you!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by dm0506
We have a grand club double room reserved for 5 nights in July - is it worth an extra $330 over a queen 2 bed room? We will have two children (6&9) with us. This will be our first Hyatt stay. Thank you!
Don't know about the room itself (unlikely it's much nicer), but having club access for a family of four is worth it for $66/day if you use it. You'll spend that for breakfast alone in the restaurant when there's a decent breakfast served in the club every morning. Not to mention snacks in the day, water bottles for taking around town, and heavy enough hor d'oeuvres/salads in the evening (that can either be a meal themselves on a night or two in or supplement with a pizza up from the place in the open air market across the street - they'll let you bring it in the club). My wife and I had my 2, 5, and 7 year olds there last summer and made heavy use of the club.

Not to mention that the club itself is one of the nicer in the US, on a high floor with nice views. Also, a club room should be in the same tower as the club and be on a high floor. So you're more likely to get a high level floor if you want that. You might be able to save a few $$$ to see if they'll give you club access without a club level floor, but probably not worth the hassle.

Last edited by ClarkGriswold; Mar 21, 2017 at 12:19 pm
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hyatt Diamond SPG Plat Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dm0506
The club offers Perrier mineral water for grab as well which is perfect in warmer weather days.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:02 am

Grand Club Rooms

Thank you for the feedback!

I checked rates through our employer website and found I could book a double queen room for $600 cheaper! Agh!

I don't think we would use $600 worth of food but it sure sounds convenient to pop in for breakfast, snack and drinks!!! Decisions!

Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
Don't know about the room itself (unlikely it's much nicer), but having club access for a family of four is worth it for $66/day if you use it. You'll spend that for breakfast alone in the restaurant when there's a decent breakfast served in the club every morning. Not to mention snacks in the day, water bottles for taking around town, and heavy enough hor d'oeuvres/salads in the evening (that can either be a meal themselves on a night or two in or supplement with a pizza up from the place in the open air market across the street - they'll let you bring it in the club). My wife and I had my 2, 5, and 7 year olds there last summer and made heavy use of the club.

Not to mention that the club itself is one of the nicer in the US, on a high floor with nice views. Also, a club room should be in the same tower as the club and be on a high floor. So you're more likely to get a high level floor if you want that. You might be able to save a few $$$ to see if they'll give you club access without a club level floor, but probably not worth the hassle.
Originally Posted by Giroud
The club offers Perrier mineral water for grab as well which is perfect in warmer weather days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.