Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotel’s recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay – Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:00 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I've been to Donovan's in Phoenix (I think). Can't comment on San Diego, but they seem to do a good job. I'm also admittedly not a huge fan of the concept of a steakhouse, though, just because I'm usually looking for something more interesting.

These days I probably won't take a trip to San Diego without having lunch at Taco Express and dinner at Bencotto, if that says anything about the food I'm interested in finding. I've had really good food at JSix as well, but I hesitate to recommend something I haven't been to in over a year. Hearing good things about Craft and Commerce, so that's on my list to check out when we go in May.

Food is certainly a matter of preference, but to tie it back to GH vs Andaz, both are totally in walking distance of good food. The only thing I'd add is that both are located near some more touristy areas, either on the harbor or in the gaslamp, so it helps to do some research.
Donovan's does a fantastic if not incomparable Prime Rib in La Jolla on Friday nights. Its a huge bone in cut and very expensive
Very Close to the Hyatt in La Jolla
Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:17 pm

platinum ever upgraded to club room?

Traveling with family, wife and I both Platinum, will either book one or two rooms.
Anyone have experience getting upgrades as platinum to club room if standard room is booked, either award or points+cash?

thanks
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by adlibitum
Traveling with family, wife and I both Platinum, will either book one or two rooms.
Anyone have experience getting upgrades as platinum to club room if standard room is booked, either award or points+cash?

thanks
I've been staying at the property for over 20 years and I can"t remember when a Platinum got a club floor room with Regency Club access
except when they had the Platinum upgrade vouchers
Its not a benefit so I'd be surprised
High floor view absolutely
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:07 am

good to know, thanks
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Donovan's does a fantastic if not incomparable Prime Rib in La Jolla on Friday nights. Its a huge bone in cut and very expensive
Very Close to the Hyatt in La Jolla
Not any more, the original La Jolla location is closed. They reopened down in the village at the Steakhouse at Azul location.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by skunker
Not any more, the original La Jolla location is closed. They reopened down in the village at the Steakhouse at Azul location.
Haven't been to the new location and hasn't been too long since I was at the old location however the great Prime Rib should live on in grand tradition on Fridays
Thank You for the reminder and update^
Cheers
Old Aug 6, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
Has any Diamond ever booked the "Parlor Studio Sofa Bed Only" rate and gotten upgraded to a Grand Club or standard room with a bed?

This rate states the following: "Should you choose to move to a standard room at check-in: based on availability the Hyatt Daily Rate will apply." Not sure if an elite upgrade applies as well...in the past, I've seen similar rates mention no upgrades or similar phrasing.

The rate is ~$90 less than the AAA rate.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Grand Hyatt San Diego

They have dropped the Manchester bit finally ^
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:58 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
They have dropped the Manchester bit finally ^
Still shows up on the property website.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by portishead
Has any Diamond ever booked the "Parlor Studio Sofa Bed Only" rate and gotten upgraded to a Grand Club or standard room with a bed?

This rate states the following: "Should you choose to move to a standard room at check-in: based on availability the Hyatt Daily Rate will apply." Not sure if an elite upgrade applies as well...in the past, I've seen similar rates mention no upgrades or similar phrasing.

The rate is ~$90 less than the AAA rate.
I've never even seen that room category offered on the website. Is it what I think it is - a room with just a sofa bed? Do they bring me a coffee can to pee in, or should I bring my own?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I've never even seen that room category offered on the website. Is it what I think it is - a room with just a sofa bed? Do they bring me a coffee can to pee in, or should I bring my own?
It could be a room designed to be a hospitality suite or it could be the living room part of a lock off one bedroom suite. I've seen some with Murphy beds rather than sofa beds.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by boracat
Can anyone PM me the VIP manager info? I've been trying to email the hotel and haven't heard back. Thank you!
Can anyone help me out here? ☺
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: Hyatt, UA
Just completed a 2 night stay this weekend just hubby and myself both in our 50's for end of summer break, used points and cash $125/ 10000 points, and DSU, got conference suite on 6th floor 631/633, bay and city view.
Great stay , had the amenity and asked for delivery when we checked in, it hadnt arrived after 2 hrs so I called down. Very pleasant person said they would resend it and add on something to make up for delay, they actually added a bottle of wine which was really nice.
Conference suite had 1 bedroom, 2 bathrooms, one with tub one with shower, big sitting area, with pull out sofa bed kitchen area and large 8 seat table for conferences.
Grand club had nice offerings, just seem to run out of desserts early in evening 8-9pm.
They even seemed to comp parking as it wasnt on bill unless they are going to add it.
Nice stay nice resort, suprised no resort fee especially has somewhere like Newport Beach CA does!
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium + LT Gold
Planning to stay here next weekend. Can't decide if I want city or harbor view. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by festriaqua
Planning to stay here next weekend. Can't decide if I want city or harbor view. Any suggestions?
Harbor view, high floor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.