Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Shay, Culver City, L.A. Destination Hotel REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Shay, Culver City, L.A. Destination Hotel REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2022, 8:23 am
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by coffee18
I noticed that parking at The Shay is valet only-- however, has anyone parked overnight within the Ivy Station shopping complex instead? Entrance to that segment of the parking structure is on National.
I actually wanted to do so myself. However, overnight parking is not allowed.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
It’s true. The Shay is valet only. I inquired about self park because I just rather not use valet. They told me that the metro Parking is not too far away. It was late and I didn’t want to ride around in an unfamiliar area looking for parking. So valet it was.

thanks to this thread, we had a wonderful 6 night stay last week. We used STU to upgrade to a premium suite. It was next to the metro line and it was noisy. Some of the rooms have more foot step noise from above than the others. This is has it. We requested for a quieter room and were moved to a smaller suite. It was really quiet. No metro noise and no footsteps from above. Peace but smaller.

the food at Etta was great. Breakfast was limited but delicious. The globalist gets $25 per person. It was enough for a breakfast sandwich and a small coffee. Loved the biscuits and the breakfast sandwich. Dinner at Etta was delicious but expensive.

we like the hotel because the location is amazing. We seldom encountered the infamous LA traffic. Maybe it’s good planning on our part. Maybe it’s the location. The staffs are friendly and responsive. In the end we even like the valet.
LoungeLizardHugo likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 4:24 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I was all set to book this property but breakfast sandwiches are not my thing if paying or receiving elite breakfast benefits as a Glob
Perhaps that was just a temp breakfast menu until they get something more premium upscale?The dinner menu looks superb though
Omelettes scrambled smoked salmon in the morning?Or has the world gone Egg Mc Muffin
I cant justify 350 dollars here and up with the likes of that breakfast menu.Perhaps I am missing something
Hotel looks nice but no shortage of other options elsewhere
59Impala likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I was all set to book this property but breakfast sandwiches are not my thing if paying or receiving elite breakfast benefits as a Glob
Perhaps that was just a temp breakfast menu until they get something more premium upscale?The dinner menu looks superb though
Omelettes scrambled smoked salmon in the morning?Or has the world gone Egg Mc Muffin
I cant justify 350 dollars here and up with the likes of that breakfast menu.Perhaps I am missing something
Hotel looks nice but no shortage of other options elsewhere
What other hotel nearby would you spend $350/night on with those inclusions? I think a lot of the value of the hotel is the location in a nice area of Culver City that we've driven to in the past as a place to spend a day. West LA is expensive without a lot of great options.

I also happen to prefer (really nice) breakfast sandwiches over omelettes but can of course respect a different opinion.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
What other hotel nearby would you spend $350/night on with those inclusions? I think a lot of the value of the hotel is the location in a nice area of Culver City that we've driven to in the past as a place to spend a day. West LA is expensive without a lot of great options.

I also happen to prefer (really nice) breakfast sandwiches over omelettes but can of course respect a different opinion.
Respected and understood
Location has me intrigued for a number of reasons so point well taken.
Your probably a lot younger I'll bet?
To me without fruit plates, a variety of egg dishes,scrambled omelettes etc smoked salmon waffles pancakes its just not a 4 star hotel or proper breakfatst
Hilton Resorts World does this now except @ Crockfords or in a Conrad suite and I hate it.I leave the property and go elsewhere.
People stand in line for 30 minutes or longer on weekends to get breakfast sandwiches to go (ugh) Its fast food no matter how you slice and dice it
Oh well old age it happens to all of us.That said I want my younger family members to see all of life and its great traditions including a great brunch when we travel
Old Feb 5, 2022, 5:13 pm

A hotel rep reached out to me after a very nice conversation with the front desk and urged me give the property a try.Which I will now.
I canceled my booking at the Waldorf Astoria Bev Hills so may probably kick myself for canceling the booking.
What got to me is their management and team.
Passionate, determined to make happy guests and especially keen desire to please the Globalists.
(work to do with breakfast unless a breakfast sandwich lover

The hotel and the entire team based on my experience so far and others I've heard from
appear to be open receptive and listening.So If anyone has suggestions please share them here
or Private message me and I will be happy to pass them on

Giving credit where credit is due the hotel has a Michelin star chef (hope hes actually doing the cooking) dinner looks exceptional
and a management that has much demonstrated past Hyatt experience coming from respected properties I trust

Possible Cons (heard from others)
Hard or Firm beds
Bad sound proofing
Extremely limited breakfast offerings

All in all the majority of guests love it and handful of Globalists have let the hotel know privately/publicly they dislike the current breakfast options.
The manager has responded saying they are seeking to expand offerings

Globalists are not invited to the weekend breakfast the restaurant serves which looks excellent.(Saturday and Sunday Mornings only)
Of course you are welcome to give up your Globalist breakfast benefit and pay and then very welcome
You may still use the benefit for an egg sandwich at the cafe 7 days a week
Its an independent restaurant which reminds me of say Hyatt Unit Square when they had a great independent restaurant for the opening(sadly it closed)
My suggestion has already been to the hotel come up with a dollar credit and let all Globs pay the up-charge if any for the weekend brunch
Hoping that they do

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 5, 2022 at 5:18 pm
Old Feb 5, 2022, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

A hotel rep reached out to me after a very nice conversation with the front desk and urged me give the property a try.Which I will now.
I canceled my booking at the Waldorf Astoria Bev Hills so may probably kick myself for canceling the booking.
What got to me is their management and team.
Passionate, determined to make happy guests and especially keen desire to please the Globalists.
(work to do with breakfast unless a breakfast sandwich lover

The hotel and the entire team based on my experience so far and others I've heard from
appear to be open receptive and listening.So If anyone has suggestions please share them here
or Private message me and I will be happy to pass them on

Giving credit where credit is due the hotel has a Michelin star chef (hope hes actually doing the cooking) dinner looks exceptional
and a management that has much demonstrated past Hyatt experience coming from respected properties I trust

Possible Cons (heard from others)
Hard or Firm beds
Bad sound proofing
Extremely limited breakfast offerings

All in all the majority of guests love it and handful of Globalists have let the hotel know privately/publicly they dislike the current breakfast options.
The manager has responded saying they are seeking to expand offerings

Globalists are not invited to the weekend breakfast the restaurant serves which looks excellent.(Saturday and Sunday Mornings only)
Of course you are welcome to give up your Globalist breakfast benefit and pay and then very welcome
You may still use the benefit for an egg sandwich at the cafe 7 days a week
Its an independent restaurant which reminds me of say Hyatt Unit Square when they had a great independent restaurant for the opening(sadly it closed)
My suggestion has already been to the hotel come up with a dollar credit and let all Globs pay the up-charge if any for the weekend brunch
Hoping that they do
I get the feeling etta was pressured to do something for breakfast since they're the only outlet. Their effort comes across as half-hearted and the weekend breakfast exclusion shows that.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
I get the feeling etta was pressured to do something for breakfast since they're the only outlet. Their effort comes across as half-hearted and the weekend breakfast exclusion shows that.
Appreciate the information thats what I perceived early on
Don't doubt it for a number of reasons.
From my decades of seeing these kinds of partnerships of independents a number of these fine dining establishments
aren't really thrilled to do breakfast in the first place
Some are pressured into it and worse asked to do room service which was the case of Hyatt Union Square
The restaurant made the front desk deliver the in room dining orders to the guest rooms
Which may make sense on a number of levels especially with any liability concerns.
At the time I loved the high quality dining in the room or the restaurant at the time without having to leave the property in dead of winter
I still have the photos of the food from Union SQ
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Shockingly nice property (even the choice-less breakfast)!

Wowzers, if only this property was in WeHo....

Prior to check-in, I was upgraded in app to a King Suite, then to a Hollywood Hills King, then back to a King Suite. My King Suite was one of the smaller non-balcony suites and faced the train tracks (noise could be heard, but it didn't keep me awake). The room has a large mirrored entryway with a small sink and a large bathroom with dual vanity, makeup desk, and large walk-in shower. The walk-in shower was fantastic with 5-star water pressure. There is a small living room with a comfy pull-out couch and a working desk. The bedroom is separated by a real door. The bed was comfy - pillows were basically the same as a Thompson, the mattress was less firm than a Thompson (very comfy), but the covers were a tad thin (not bad - more HR or GH level). TVs were Chromecast but lacked a large selection of channels.

A couple of glitches - I don't think the AC was coming out in the bedroom vents (not sure if that was intentional or an issue, so I left the bedroom door open). One of the lights in the bedroom had a missing bulb (the light towards the wall art). There were ceiling tracks to have a closet door, but no door existed.

The design of the room (and, frankly, the whole property) was very nice and very classy.

Service was very friendly. No issue with 4 PM late checkout (asked proactively before I mentioned it).

Breakfast at etta Cafe is absolutely cheap on the restaurant's part, but it was also absolutely delicious. I loved the breakfast sandwich (delicious sausage and crispy English muffin), and the "jack me up" (iced latte with cinnamon, vanilla, and cocoa) was one of the best coffee drinks I've had in a long time. This breakfast worked for me, but I can see why the lack of choices is an issue for many. I wasn't told anything about a limit, but I was under $20 (even with the included 20% service charge - the employee told me to not put anything on the tip line).

I didn't get the chance to explore Culver City, but I sure wish this property was in WeHo or Beverly Hills.

I definitely enjoyed my time at The Shay.

Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:20 am

Absolutely great review elevator enthusiast
Thank You also for sharing clearly the bed feel as opposed to the generic version that most reviewers and bloggers say only that the bed is comfy
Would not be happy ever across from train tracks unless perhaps triple pane windows are present and have left hotels on day of arrival like the
Witt in Chicago over the concern (you hear the trains day and night
I have a stay upcoming and expect breakfast to be quite poor as a number of guests have shared previously
I'm not an egg mc muffin guy and like the breakfast at places like Hyatt Regency LAX even with their slippage more
recently in quality and variety

The team members and management seem to get high praise here from others I've heard from but I wouldn't be interested in spending
a week here with a lack of buy up options @ breakfast
Expect more at these price points ADRs
Keeping my fingers crossed that it won't be a one time thing and that the location and other factors can make me overlook an elite benefit
and experience thats important to me and a big driver with my business when I choose to stay at a Full Service Hyatt
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Absolutely great review elevator enthusiast
Thank You also for sharing clearly the bed feel as opposed to the generic version that most reviewers and bloggers say only that the bed is comfy
Would not be happy ever across from train tracks unless perhaps triple pane windows are present and have left hotels on day of arrival like the
Witt in Chicago over the concern (you hear the trains day and night
I have a stay upcoming and expect breakfast to be quite poor as a number of guests have shared previously
I'm not an egg mc muffin guy and like the breakfast at places like Hyatt Regency LAX even with their slippage more
recently in quality and variety

The team members and management seem to get high praise here from others I've heard from but I wouldn't be interested in spending
a week here with a lack of buy up options @ breakfast
Expect more at these price points ADRs
Keeping my fingers crossed that it won't be a one time thing and that the location and other factors can make me overlook an elite benefit
and experience thats important to me and a big driver with my business when I choose to stay at a Full Service Hyatt
See the fire map - if you get a room on the National side, you'll be away from the train tracks. Frankly, I don't think the train is much louder than the cars on the street below and seemed to not come by much at night. Ironically, I think the x01 rooms that some previous posters got as Balcony Premium Suites are the closest to the train tracks (furthest left room on the map).
Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:01 pm

Can you be my personal Hyatt concierge Thanks!
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:45 pm

Can you be my personal Hyatt concierge Thanks!
LOL - I've definitely learned a thing or two about our most prolific posters. If someone tries to give you a firm bed, they'll rue the day :-)
Old Apr 10, 2022, 5:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
First off, just got back from a stay here and loved the hotel. Overall, it has a lot of things going for it. We met with the GM and Executive Management team to discuss the breakfast situation and they are working on at least adding several more items to the cafe until the restaurant can fully open for daily breakfast. Should see other breakfast sandwiches, a burrito, etc. coming soon.

Also, The Shay has launched a 3rd night free offer for Hyatt Privé stays through December 31st (must book by May 20th).
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
I would stay in and eat at etta. Local produce, creative dishes and cocktails. Probably best to make a reservation ahead of time.

Supposed to be located on the rooftop of the Shay.
No, the Shay has a restaurant by that name DOWNSTAIRS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.