FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Shay, Culver City, L.A. Destination Hotel REVIEW MASTER THREAD
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:15 am
ElevatorEnthusiast

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Shockingly nice property (even the choice-less breakfast)!

Wowzers, if only this property was in WeHo....

Prior to check-in, I was upgraded in app to a King Suite, then to a Hollywood Hills King, then back to a King Suite. My King Suite was one of the smaller non-balcony suites and faced the train tracks (noise could be heard, but it didn't keep me awake). The room has a large mirrored entryway with a small sink and a large bathroom with dual vanity, makeup desk, and large walk-in shower. The walk-in shower was fantastic with 5-star water pressure. There is a small living room with a comfy pull-out couch and a working desk. The bedroom is separated by a real door. The bed was comfy - pillows were basically the same as a Thompson, the mattress was less firm than a Thompson (very comfy), but the covers were a tad thin (not bad - more HR or GH level). TVs were Chromecast but lacked a large selection of channels.

A couple of glitches - I don't think the AC was coming out in the bedroom vents (not sure if that was intentional or an issue, so I left the bedroom door open). One of the lights in the bedroom had a missing bulb (the light towards the wall art). There were ceiling tracks to have a closet door, but no door existed.

The design of the room (and, frankly, the whole property) was very nice and very classy.

Service was very friendly. No issue with 4 PM late checkout (asked proactively before I mentioned it).

Breakfast at etta Cafe is absolutely cheap on the restaurant's part, but it was also absolutely delicious. I loved the breakfast sandwich (delicious sausage and crispy English muffin), and the "jack me up" (iced latte with cinnamon, vanilla, and cocoa) was one of the best coffee drinks I've had in a long time. This breakfast worked for me, but I can see why the lack of choices is an issue for many. I wasn't told anything about a limit, but I was under $20 (even with the included 20% service charge - the employee told me to not put anything on the tip line).

I didn't get the chance to explore Culver City, but I sure wish this property was in WeHo or Beverly Hills.

I definitely enjoyed my time at The Shay.