Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Shay, Culver City, L.A. Destination Hotel REVIEW MASTER THREAD

The Shay, Culver City, L.A. Destination Hotel REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:48 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Colin
breakfast is now being served on the roof. Some media coverage here.
Thank You for the post
Is the Canopy Club menu allowed for Globalists? if so This would bring me back.Its a huge improvement over what I experienced on my one and only visit
And what is the lobster dish? Fried lobster?
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Colin
breakfast is now being served on the roof. Some media coverage here.
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Thank You for the post
Is the Canopy Club menu allowed for Globalists? if so This would bring me back.Its a huge improvement over what I experienced on my one and only visit
And what is the lobster dish? Fried lobster?
I would like to know too!
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I would like to know too!
Thanks to Colin for the heads up
With burning curiosity I called the hotel to see what the latest word on the street is.
I am excited to report that The Shay is a must go now if a WOH traveler
The Canopy Club on the rooftop has been open for approx month now and it is doing sit down Globalist Breakfast
with 25 dollars per person F&B credits.A tad weak imho but a vast improvement from the past options
In very warm weather because its all open with no AC it might not be that enjoyable for some

Now the odd twist for up to 4 people in a room 25 pp up to 100 dollar credit
Don't expect that to last as its not in WOH terms & Conditions
A bit weird that they don't offer 50 per person or 35 per person for the price point of the hotel.
I mean even Hilton offers 25 dollars per person and they aren't generous by any means.Even Amex credit card holders get this with no loyalty

The Canopy Club restaurant has nothing to do with Etta and they are offering 24 hour room service as well
For Etta lovers not I the grab and go is still there and their Sunday brunch is still on Saturday and Sunday but no credits for Globs
can be used there so that hasn't changed if thats your thing it certainly wasn't mine
This is a game changer for me though depending on their rates which tend to be a bit high when I consider the area
lsquare, Tami, relidtm and 1 others like this.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jul 15, 2022 at 10:07 pm
Old Jul 16, 2022, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to Colin for the heads up
With burning curiosity I called the hotel to see what the latest word on the street is.
I am excited to report that The Shay is a must go now if a WOH traveler
The Canopy Club on the rooftop has been open for approx month now and it is doing sit down Globalist Breakfast
with 25 dollars per person F&B credits.A tad weak imho but a vast improvement from the past options
In very warm weather because its all open with no AC it might not be that enjoyable for some

Now the odd twist for up to 4 people in a room 25 pp up to 100 dollar credit
Don't expect that to last as its not in WOH terms & Conditions
A bit weird that they don't offer 50 per person or 35 per person for the price point of the hotel.
I mean even Hilton offers 25 dollars per person and they aren't generous by any means.Even Amex credit card holders get this with no loyalty

The Canopy Club restaurant has nothing to do with Etta and they are offering 24 hour room service as well
For Etta lovers not I the grab and go is still there and their Sunday brunch is still on Saturday and Sunday but no credits for Globs
can be used there so that hasn't changed if thats your thing it certainly wasn't mine
This is a game changer for me though depending on their rates which tend to be a bit high when I consider the area
Is $25 enough to get something decent? If not, then I guess I won't be as excited. Are there even any dates where the rate is less than $300? Seems like no matter which date I use, I see $300+ so I figure they would be a bit generous with the credit for Globalists.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:28 pm

Is $25 enough to get something decent? If not, then I guess I won't be as excited. Are there even any dates where the rate is less than $300? Seems like no matter which date I use, I see $300+ so I figure they would be a bit generous with the credit for Globalists.
I imagine the end check would likely be near double that per person.
I'm ok with paying additional provided its very good or excellent (not yet conclusive) If it isn't then that brings other challenges based on expectations

I disagree with the direction Hyatt is going generally.Their breakfast benefit varies widely more than ever
My business is down considerably with them since Covid mostly because of their devaluations on redemption and globalist breakfast value declines etc
But for those to find a solid 4 star property within the Hyatt portfolio other than Andaz WH and The Thompson this is it

You may have to pay for beverages sides etc but likely it will cover at least an entree/main dish.
My suggestion is complain to Hyatt Consumer Affairs if you aren't pleased.
It worked at Hilton where after HH member complained and the Hilton folks upped the benefit due to inflation and negative feedback
Hyatt generally now at least matches Hilton's stingy policy so its no worse.
But at least at Hilton you can use the dollar credit it for any meal or grab and go so its more versatile
Thankfully there are still some Hyatt's who are still generous with the Glob breakfast
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Standard two egg breakfast plus coffee is $26 before tax and tip.

Something tells me this has to be a soft limit that isn't actually enforced.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast

Looking forward to hearing some first hand experiences. 12 omelettes please? But I'm a Diamond!!! (enter emotional support giraffe )
josephstern and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I imagine the end check would likely be near double that per person.
I'm ok with paying additional provided its very good or excellent (not yet conclusive) If it isn't then that brings other challenges based on expectations

I disagree with the direction Hyatt is going generally.Their breakfast benefit varies widely more than ever
My business is down considerably with them since Covid mostly because of their devaluations on redemption and globalist breakfast value declines etc
But for those to find a solid 4 star property within the Hyatt portfolio other than Andaz WH and The Thompson this is it

You may have to pay for beverages sides etc but likely it will cover at least an entree/main dish.
My suggestion is complain to Hyatt Consumer Affairs if you aren't pleased.
It worked at Hilton where after HH member complained and the Hilton folks upped the benefit due to inflation and negative feedback
Hyatt generally now at least matches Hilton's stingy policy so its no worse.
But at least at Hilton you can use the dollar credit it for any meal or grab and go so its more versatile
Thankfully there are still some Hyatt's who are still generous with the Glob breakfast
I usually travel in Asia so I got great value out of status. The difference between Hyatt and Hilton is that they have a CC that gives top-tier status while I have to spend 60 nights at Hyatt properties! I think we might have to complain to the GM at the Shay. I mean, no matter what the amount is, it should be fair that we get a proper breakfast for free. I just looked at the menu and $25 won't go far. It actually seems like a joke and a disrespect to Globalists. I don't understand LA in general, but how are they not making any money with their room rate being as high as it is? They gotta be a bit less stingy with the credit!

I hope you're right. It seems ridiculous. The credit should at least cover any entrees and drinks from the menu. It would be great if a side is included as well.

Looking forward to hearing some first hand experiences. 12 omelettes please? But I'm a Diamond!!! (enter emotional support giraffe )
I won't be in LA until at least winter so it'll be a while before I can comment on my finding. For sure, if nothing changes until then, I'll bring it up with the GM the second I check-in. I think this is pretty much going to be the first Hyatt property for me to try in LA.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:54 pm

My take is they never really wanted to do breakfast unless getting paid for it fully
The investors feel like they put enough into the hotel itself
They compromised with their grab and go bar in the lobby
The GM did take complaints on and offline and tried to sugar coat things
They have made a material improvement with sit down and room service to their credit
Despite the less than generous credit amount I see
the problem more with World of Hyatt for allowing hotels to offer so little
It really needs to be directed at Hyatt IMO My suggestion is to open a case with Hyatt Consumer Affairs if anyone seeks change

It’s funny how hostile folks are about Bonvoy yet I stayed at a Le Meridien and an Autograph
Collection property recently and ate like a king as an elite member anything I wanted off the menu
and I’ve shifted a chunk of business to the standout properties within Marriott
Both rooms were under 200 dollars BTW and my breakfast was easily 30 to 35 menu prices or more
No nickel and diming.On the other hand at an AC hotel rather than starve I ordered Door Dash
The AC hotel did offer me a daily 10 dollar credit At the end of the day I go where they take care
of me and if the food is good/outstanding willing to pay some extra.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My take is they never really wanted to do breakfast unless getting paid for it fully
The investors feel like they put enough into the hotel itself
They compromised with their grab and go bar in the lobby
The GM did take complaints on and offline and tried to sugar coat things
They have made a material improvement with sit down and room service to their credit
Despite the less than generous credit amount I see
the problem more with World of Hyatt for allowing hotels to offer so little
It really needs to be directed at Hyatt IMO My suggestion is to open a case with Hyatt Consumer Affairs if anyone seeks change

Its funny how hostile folks are about Bonvoy yet I stayed at a Le Meridien and an Autograph
Collection property recently and ate like a king as an elite member anything I wanted off the menu
and Ive shifted a chunk of business to the standout properties within Marriott
Both rooms were under 200 dollars BTW and my breakfast was easily 30 to 35 menu prices or more
No nickel and diming.On the other hand at an AC hotel rather than starve I ordered Door Dash
The AC hotel did offer me a daily 10 dollar credit At the end of the day I go where they take care
of me and if the food is good/outstanding willing to pay some extra.
I have already requalified for Titanium status so I'll need to stay at Hyatt to requalify for Globalist. I guess I can live with the credit and pay for additional food. This isn't a Park Hyatt. Globalists need to be taken care of!
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:19 am

I have already requalified for Titanium status so I'll need to stay at Hyatt to requalify for Globalist. I guess I can live with the credit and pay for additional food. This isn't a Park Hyatt. Globalists need to be taken care of!
Couldn’t agree more and well said! Congrats on achieving your status 👍
I believe over the past number of years Hyatt has been heading business culture wise to a fair degree
in the wrong direction not that others aren’t either.It’s just that historically Hyatt had a complete commitment
to guest satisfaction through the in house experience more consistently
Rising above written expectations for the program benefits which were more generous than its competitors
There was always good reasoning in that

It takes far more work to meet Globalist requirements with Hyatts small footprint of good hotels
Their limited service self service properties leave much to be desired typically
Hyatts focus these days seems to be in acquiring just about any brand and folding it into the portfolio.
Can they just get back to taking care of guests above and beyond and offer the great promotions to keep us WOH loyal
After spending hundreds of thousands of dollars I’m insulted when Hyatt is starting to offers the same value proposition
@ breakfast for their best customers that Hilton offers its customers by taking a credit card with no stays.

We as guests must be vocal not here alone in social media but calling Hyatt and hotel management and letting the select
properties that are not living up to reasonable expectations
It’s a personal choice if you are satisfied as is or not but behind the scenes at Hyatt I speak up for the membership base
to anyone @ Hyatt that is interested and willing to listen
I can say that’s not as easy as it was years ago.
The Shay is a welcome addition with an impressive friendly team it might be wise to be vocal if others feel the same way
To their credit I do think they care and believe they are still finding their way.I’m interested in being their customer again and
returning with this new development of in house breakfast dining.Hopefully it’s good!
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:44 am

I checked out yesterday after four nights. We had a great stay and this continues to be my LA hotel of choice. I'm a Discoverist and stayed on a Prive rate. My understanding is that both breakfast for Glob and Prive = $25/pp at the Canopy Club.

As the menu indicates: $25 is actually pretty comprehensive. Basically all items are covered, with a beverage. And I agree that in my experience the $25 was pretty soft -- I had went over by a few bucks and it was covered. The food was solid, not out of this world good, but a huge improvement over what was in Etta. We had the chia pudding, the fritters, and the smoothie bowl over several nights.

A few other notes about my stay. I am a Discoverist and had booked my rate via Live Luxe Travel Co -- as usual, the folks over there were wonderful to work with. I had booked a 1 King w/ Balcony; via Prive rate was confirmed into the next category the 1 King Studio, and then the week of check-in I was bumped two categories further into the 1 King Premium Suite w/ Balcony. Suffice to say, I was surprised -- and pleased.

And the room was pretty swell. My previous visit was when it first opened. You can definitely find some dings and scratches, but overall the room was in good condition. I thought the living room was not super comfortable -- they could benefit with more comfortable seating, decor, and the carpet in the living room was in terrible shape. My only other criticism was that the water pressure and temperature was weaker than that of our first stay-- I imagine that had to do with the fact that the prem suite was at the end of the hallway. My wife missed the make up area from the base room as well. None of these were deal breakers.

Finally, included in the Prive rate was a $50 hotel credit. Well-- the bad news was: you could only use the credit in Etta and the mini bar (which was sparse). Neither Canopy Club nor the bar downstairs are plugged into the system to charge the room. They are aware of this and told me they are going to get that up. The good news was that, intentionally or not, they took off $50 anyway from my total bill. I would not expect this going forward as that is not the intended use of the hotel credit, but it would not seem fair for me to criticize the credit without mentioning how it was ultimately applied anyway.
dpb132, lsquare, ralphs and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by coffee18
I checked out yesterday after four nights. We had a great stay and this continues to be my LA hotel of choice. I'm a Discoverist and stayed on a Prive rate. My understanding is that both breakfast for Glob and Prive = $25/pp at the Canopy Club.

As the menu indicates: $25 is actually pretty comprehensive. Basically all items are covered, with a beverage. And I agree that in my experience the $25 was pretty soft -- I had went over by a few bucks and it was covered. The food was solid, not out of this world good, but a huge improvement over what was in Etta. We had the chia pudding, the fritters, and the smoothie bowl over several nights.

A few other notes about my stay. I am a Discoverist and had booked my rate via Live Luxe Travel Co -- as usual, the folks over there were wonderful to work with. I had booked a 1 King w/ Balcony; via Prive rate was confirmed into the next category the 1 King Studio, and then the week of check-in I was bumped two categories further into the 1 King Premium Suite w/ Balcony. Suffice to say, I was surprised -- and pleased.

And the room was pretty swell. My previous visit was when it first opened. You can definitely find some dings and scratches, but overall the room was in good condition. I thought the living room was not super comfortable -- they could benefit with more comfortable seating, decor, and the carpet in the living room was in terrible shape. My only other criticism was that the water pressure and temperature was weaker than that of our first stay-- I imagine that had to do with the fact that the prem suite was at the end of the hallway. My wife missed the make up area from the base room as well. None of these were deal breakers.

Finally, included in the Prive rate was a $50 hotel credit. Well-- the bad news was: you could only use the credit in Etta and the mini bar (which was sparse). Neither Canopy Club nor the bar downstairs are plugged into the system to charge the room. They are aware of this and told me they are going to get that up. The good news was that, intentionally or not, they took off $50 anyway from my total bill. I would not expect this going forward as that is not the intended use of the hotel credit, but it would not seem fair for me to criticize the credit without mentioning how it was ultimately applied anyway.
$25 is not comprehensive if the standard American breakfast and coffee is $26 before tax and tip. Perhaps, oatmeal and chia pudding fits within the price, but nothing about that menu looked comprehensive for $25, especially when sides of bacon are $8.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$25 is not comprehensive if the standard American breakfast and coffee is $26 before tax and tip. Perhaps, oatmeal and chia pudding fits within the price, but nothing about that menu looked comprehensive for $25, especially when sides of bacon are $8.
It's a ripoff. 🤣🤣🤣
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
To be fair. I ordered the $8 bacon on the roof and got 4 slices. I don’t think the prices here are much worse than what you’ll find in similarly rated upscale restaurants in West LA.

I ordered the breakfast sandwich from Etta. I didn’t realize how literally it would follow the egg McMuffin with sausage template. It was really cheffy and tasty, but wow. And I paid cash for it as this was lunch with friends and Etta serves the brunch menu until 2p. Had breakfast on the roof and found it fine. Would have rather had the credit at Etta if I’m being honest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.