Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Shay, Culver City, L.A. Destination Hotel REVIEW MASTER THREAD

The Shay, Culver City, L.A. Destination Hotel REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 25, 21, 5:54 pm

Was here last night. Booked a standard King at 20k points. Upgraded, day of, to premium patio suite (“view” of Hollywood sign…from Culver City. Right.) as a Globalist. Have to agree service still rather tentative (restaurant slow to open at 8am).

Staff pretty good while figuring things out. This is a “cashless” property making it difficult to get change to leave tips. Mentioned they ought to allow an optional tip on check-out or whatever…as long as they state it will go to employees. Might be tough to sort out, but…
Old Nov 1, 21, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Stayed here this weekend. They told me I was upgraded to a Suite but I think it was just the King Studio room (could see it change mid-day on the app). I didn't push as I was going to be out most of the time.

Regardless, it was a great stay. The property itself is gorgeous. Great finishes and really everything I like in a modern hotel. Perhaps my only gripe was there was no sheer curtain in the room and the room looked basically into a small courtyard, so it would have been nice to have more light without totally giving up privacy (but with that said the room had decent recessed lighting, so it wasn't too dark by hotel standards). Would say it is on par with a great Andaz (and much better than WeHo) and somewhere in modern GH range. Of course prices match but felt like it was a pretty fair deal. In terms of location, it was hard to beat in my case. Fifteen minutes from the airport, fifteen minutes on the train to USC for football, and just down the road from some friends. Needless to say, looking forward to returning.

Breakfast is pretty limited, not sure if that is how it will always be or just as the place gets up and going. Its essentially just a coffee bar. Was bummed to not be able to try the full restaurant which is only open for dinner but was consistently busy at night.
59Impala likes this.
Old Nov 11, 21, 2:57 am

If I got booked through Guest of Honor from my globalist friend, do I get free parking?
stvr likes this.
Old Nov 11, 21, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by ahhlun View Post
If I got booked through Guest of Honor from my globalist friend, do I get free parking?
Yes.
Old Nov 12, 21, 1:02 am

Just got here, got a King room with a "view" using Guest of honors.

The room is quite noisy with the road noise.
I noticed people love flooring their car in LA.
Old Nov 12, 21, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Just got here, got a King room with a "view" using Guest of honors.

The room is quite noisy with the road noise.
I noticed people love flooring their car in LA.
Naw. There are a whole bunch of idiots who are driving like they're trying out for the Fast and the Furious at multiple locations around Southern California. Venice Boulevard, Washington Boulevard and National all provide unfortunate venues for these idiots.

David
SS255 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 21, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Naw. There are a whole bunch of idiots who are driving like they're trying out for the Fast and the Furious at multiple locations around Southern California. Venice Boulevard, Washington Boulevard and National all provide unfortunate venues for these idiots.

David
Add in the craze for LOUD exhaust systems. LA is fun like that.

So many are going electric and those are almost silent. Yet a noticeable contingent are just tweaking their cars to get louder and louder.
Old Nov 12, 21, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by DELee View Post

David
I'm from Seattle. What in particular about these street make it good venues? No cops at all?
Old Nov 12, 21, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm from Seattle. What in particular about these street make it good venues? No cops at all?
Easy freeway access.

David
Old Nov 12, 21, 1:00 pm

Another update/review.
This is a low rise type building and the sound proof is bad.

You can clearly hear foot steps noise on top of your room as well as when others slams their door. (Theres no soft close door for the hotel and they are heavy door)

I just got in on a late flight last night and unfortunately at 6 am, there are a lot of loud trucks outside passing by. I didn't look, not sure are they buses or garbage trucks type vehicles.

Maybe I got spoiled by my stay last time at JW Marriott at LA live.
different tier of hotel I guess?
Old Nov 12, 21, 1:03 pm

Attaching the breakfast menu.
It's 25 per person, but they only cover the breakfast. They don't cover the drinks/coffee
Old Nov 12, 21, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got in on a late flight last night and unfortunately at 6 am, there are a lot of loud trucks outside passing by. I didn't look, not sure are they buses or garbage trucks type vehicles.

Maybe I got spoiled by my stay last time at JW Marriott at LA live.
different tier of hotel I guess?
A bit higher up in the air - maybe 200 feet or more and many more buildings for sound to bounce and dissipate over before reaching the floors of the JW.

Tier/class of hotel - that's your call.

David
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 21, 8:34 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

It's 25 per person, but they only cover the breakfast. They don't cover the drinks/coffee
Globalists will receive daily complimentary full breakfast (which includes one entre or standard breakfast buffet, juice, and coffee, as well as tax, gratuity and service charges) for each registered guest in the room, up to a maximum of two (2) adults and two (2) children.
For Globalists, per the T&Cs, supposed to be able to get 1 entree, juice and coffee. Thats a violation right there and should be changed.
Old Nov 20, 21, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Another update/review.
This is a low rise type building and the sound proof is bad.
That's really unacceptable in a new build. A bummer because this looked like a great west LA option, where Hyatt currently has none.
Old Nov 20, 21, 2:09 pm

id take the stated policy with a grain of salt. I spent three nights there last month and the breakfast experience/amenity was very pleasant.

I ordered all sorts of stuff - including multiple pastries & beverages and the fancy 11 dollar juices in addition to the entree. Well over a hundred bucks each day - and never got billed for a single penny.

They get a list of globalists sent over in the AM - and they treat them very well.

They were still figuring out the computer systems when I was there. On the first day they basically had me sign a post-it-note, but by the last day I signed what was a receipt that just said Globalist Breakfast itemized on it.

I think the restaurant gets reimbursed at at fixed negotiated rate from Hyatt. Its an admittedly limited menu but the AM staff at the cafe bends over backwards for you.
fotoflyer88 and madmanshoney like this.

Search this Thread