Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Shay, Culver City, L.A. Destination Hotel REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Shay, Culver City, L.A. Destination Hotel REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2023, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
We had a pleasant four night stay last week but not without a few issues.

My TSU upgrade put me into a Premium Balcony Suite; from the looks of it, it is the same one that 59Impala stayed in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33885944-post69.html

Room 342 is at the end of the wing that's connected to the Ivy Station complex, facing National Blvd, when you look at the fire evacuation map posted here, it's the one on the upper right corner. The notable thing about the third floor is that the wing is connected to the main hotel by an open skybridge; the higher floors are fully connected by interior corridors with rooms. The room is basically above the fitness center and, unfortunately, the trash bay, so every morning about 4-6 dumpsters of garbage were emptied into a truck (with the related noise). Also echoing the comments from the review above, the water in the bathroom took far too long to heat (although I enjoyed the fire hose pressure in the shower and for quickly filling the tub). Minor peeve of mine is that a room with a large soaking tub didn't have bath salts as part of the toiletries (I brought my own just in case).

Since I now live in Manhattan, I found the road noise to be tolerable and didn't bother me or disrupt sleep. What was intolerable was the previously reported soundproofing issues; I have never experienced noise as extreme as I encountered from the room above; booming, thumping sounds of guests and housekeeping moving about, amplified by the drum-like conditions of the room (especially the living room). Guests sensitive to flashing lights should be aware that the red light cameras at the intersection of National and Washington are quite active (mostly triggered by Hollywood stops when turning right on a red light) and the flashes at night are notable from the living room.

As Globalists on a paid stay, the destination fee was waived but valet was charged. Reading this thread reminded me that EV charging was complimentary, so I had the valets charge my plug-in hybrid rental car a few nights which saved me on gas and allowed me to go straight to the car return from the hotel (with a stop at Lodge Bread on Washington). We also took advantage of the free roundtrip on the Metro; we used it to ride to Santa Monica to visit the excellent farmers' market and spend some time walking around before heading back. The breakfast amenity was described to me as "complimentary breakfast consisting of 1 entre, 1 coffee, and 1 juice for up 2 adults & 2 children every morning of your stay to use when dining at The Canopy Club, for breakfast only" in a pre-arrival email from the concierge. The food was good but the service (while friendly) was somewhat uneven and slow. One morning, they ran out of oatmeal for periods and seemed swamped; I saw the management team doing a post-mortem with the staff the next morning to discuss the issues. We skipped breakfast on the last morning so we wouldn't feel rushed getting to the airport if the service was slow. We also had dinner at etta, which was good but not outstanding.

The fitness center was very nice and well equipped with Pelotons, treadmills, free weights, machines, and other items. Valet was generally very quick. Overall, I liked being on the Westside and close to the 405 and 10 freeways. I also liked not having to get up too early to make my departing flight at LAX. I'd likely stay here again.
I'm thinking of staying here for one night. Is it relatively quick to get to LAX?

How long did it take for the water to heat up?

Free transit on the metro? Details? How far can I go?

Is the breakfast adequate until I get to LAX? I can food from the lounge.
​​​​​​
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:41 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Distance to LAX is highly variable based on mode of transportation and time of day. In general, I think it is reasonably close to LAX as far at Hyatt properties go. It’s certainly one of the nicer ones where elite status has some tangible benefits.

Water took several wasteful minutes to heat; more details are posted in upthread.

Suggest you use online tools such as Google maps or LA’s Metro website to determine transit options and viability. The destination fee will include a free reloadable TAP card that has $3.50 loaded on it which is two fares.

Further suggest you review the breakfast menu to determine if the entree options are filling enough for your needs. There were certainly enough for mine.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm thinking of staying here for one night. Is it relatively quick to get to LAX?

How long did it take for the water to heat up?

Free transit on the metro? Details? How far can I go?

Is the breakfast adequate until I get to LAX? I can food from the lounge.
​​​​​​
It's faster to LAX than coming from downtown, but you should not confuse it as an airport hotel. It is in a nicer neighborhood with new residential developments and some of the nicest walkable areas of LA. I would personally consider living in the area. It is not a flashy or touristy area, so you'd be disappointed if you expect that.
Breakfast is nicer than what I remember from QF F or AA FL, though it has been a few years since I've been to the former.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
It's faster to LAX than coming from downtown, but you should not confuse it as an airport hotel. It is in a nicer neighborhood with new residential developments and some of the nicest walkable areas of LA. I would personally consider living in the area. It is not a flashy or touristy area, so you'd be disappointed if you expect that.
Breakfast is nicer than what I remember from QF F or AA FL, though it has been a few years since I've been to the former.
i’d have never left LA if our home was in this area. they have figured out how to keep the 3rd world dystopia out, unlike every other dense part of LA from DTLA west to the coast. I blame Garshitty, and Bass is doubling-down on new $750K per unit homeless housing (with no string attached, of course, to not dehumanize the druggies, crazies, and lazy).
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Distance to LAX is highly variable based on mode of transportation and time of day. In general, I think it is reasonably close to LAX as far at Hyatt properties go. It’s certainly one of the nicer ones where elite status has some tangible benefits.

Water took several wasteful minutes to heat; more details are posted in upthread.

Suggest you use online tools such as Google maps or LA’s Metro website to determine transit options and viability. The destination fee will include a free reloadable TAP card that has $3.50 loaded on it which is two fares.

Further suggest you review the breakfast menu to determine if the entree options are filling enough for your needs. There were certainly enough for mine.
I think you addressed the water temperature in one sentence.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:37 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA

yeah, I posted on my review. It took 6 minutes of running water until warm. Crazy.
so that is still an issue… wow
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 59Impala
yeah, I posted on my review. It took 6 minutes of running water until warm. Crazy.
so that is still an issue… wow
That's effing crazy!!! What's causing this problem? That means I'm going to be wasting a lot of water as I ain't taking a cold shower!
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:42 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
That's effing crazy!!! What's causing this problem? That means I'm going to be wasting a lot of water as I ain't taking a cold shower!
exactly, ridiculous.
especially in CA… IIRC, there are some counties, that have a maximum amount of water „throughput“ to conserve water, so this is just crazy.
And another IIRC, I think the Shay is a „certified green hotel“ or something.
doesn‘t match…
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:43 pm

lovely tub in prem suite, on display to all the neighbors
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 59Impala
exactly, ridiculous.
especially in CA… IIRC, there are some counties, that have a maximum amount of water „throughput“ to conserve water, so this is just crazy.
And another IIRC, I think the Shay is a „certified green hotel“ or something.
doesn‘t match…
Guess I'm going to be wasting water for six minutes!
Old Mar 20, 2023, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Will be staying here in October for my son's wedding after-party (they already booked several suites), even though my LA house is less than 10 minutes away in Rancho Park on the Westside. Will be applying a TSU so hope to not get that noisy suite, but whatever.

Also noted that the water takes time to warm up, which kinda reminds me of the same situation at the ADU in my LA backyard, LOL

Glad to hear that breakfast is good, and since it's the morning after a big fiesta, I suppose that I don't mind waiting. I imagine that I can have my Globalist breakfast as room service, right? But could someone confirm?
Old Mar 20, 2023, 10:49 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by sapguy
Will be staying here in October for my son's wedding after-party (they already booked several suites), even though my LA house is less than 10 minutes away in Rancho Park on the Westside. Will be applying a TSU so hope to not get that noisy suite, but whatever.

Also noted that the water takes time to warm up, which kinda reminds me of the same situation at the ADU in my LA backyard, LOL

Glad to hear that breakfast is good, and since it's the morning after a big fiesta, I suppose that I don't mind waiting. I imagine that I can have my Globalist breakfast as room service, right? But could someone confirm?
Congrats! I've never heard of room service here.Anyone else?When I was there the breakfast was poor and not up to standard
I ended up with chicken salad wrap with pieces of bone.
I hear its massively improved upstairs from the former grab and go menu early on
and no more standing in line
Old Apr 10, 2023, 4:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Another one-night stay/stand at The Shay. Booked base room using Cat1-7 that was otherwise going to expire on me. Was upgraded to a Premium Suite /w Balcony (Room 418), and it was another very solid stay here. Staff is always friendly-ish, etta remains a good restaurant which is worth checking out as long as expectations on price are known in advance, rooftop service continues to improve.

The Shay remains my top LA-area Hyatt hotel. Which maybe isnt saying that much. Hyatt's presence in LA sucks compared to other major metro's. I cetainly wouldnt stay at Hotel Fig, or the Thompson/Tommie in Hollywood, nor the Andaz in WeHo. Which really only leaves The Shay as the default option unless willing to go farther out (but even then, what, stay at the Hyatt Place in Glendale?)

Not easy, but Hyatt needs to find a way into either Santa Monica or Beverly Hills (or somewhere in between) for a premium hotel
ProjectSunburst likes this.
Old May 14, 2023, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by sapguy

Just finishing a 3 day weekend stay. Glob breakfast is only available for dine in or you can pick it up and take it back to your room. There is room service but it isn’t included.
They seem to have changed the breakfast policy, it is now a maximum of 4 entrees, 4 juices and 4 coffees (so technically for 4 people). I ordered over $150 everyday for 2 people and everything was waived. I really enjoyed their brunch options, the pancakes and the steak were very good.
Got upgraded to a premium suite with balcony, 501. Very nice but it is right below the rooftop bar, you can hear the tables and chairs moving.
Overall service was great, except for the check in, the agent was a bit distressed from some rude customers so I can sympathize. They checked me into the wrong room and they only realized because I asked about breakfast and luckily the other person had no status.

Edit: Forgot to mention that at least for my room, hot water was instantaneous.

Last edited by randomj1995; May 14, 2023 at 11:30 pm
Old May 15, 2023, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by randomj1995
They seem to have changed the breakfast policy, it is now a maximum of 4 entrees, 4 juices and 4 coffees (so technically for 4 people). I ordered over $150 everyday for 2 people and everything was waived. I really enjoyed their brunch options, the pancakes and the steak were very good.
Sounds better than the previous $100/room soft limit. Do pastries count as entrees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.