Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Shay, Culver City, L.A. Destination Hotel REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Shay, Culver City, L.A. Destination Hotel REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2023, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by tailorgiven
Sounds better than the previous $100/room soft limit. Do pastries count as entrees?
I didn’t see any pastries in the menu
Old May 15, 2023, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by randomj1995
I didn’t see any pastries in the menu
That’s a pity, they used to offer some really good almond croissants at Canopy Club. Anyway I’d say it’s a positive arrangement — two entrees and a drink plus gratuity could easily surpass $50.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 12:12 pm

What is the standard suite at this property to use suite upgrade award on? There's a 1 king suite available on my dates, but Globalist line saying that's not the standard suite and there's nothing at all available to use the upgrade on.

EDITED: NVM - got it sorted. HUCA!

Last edited by slariz; Jul 4, 2023 at 2:02 pm
Old Jul 6, 2023, 1:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Colin
same overall assessment. a few additional points:

1) Bianca across the street is excellent (the $60 Chilean sea bass is the best of my life)
2) The neighborhood streets are beautiful for a long walk about - head west into downtown and then south, or head east & then south meandering down to the Ballona creek path entrance.
3) Turndown service is not possible, housekeeping goes home at 5PM
4) Bring small bills for tips, front desk is cashless
5) Canopy Club breakfast was fully comped and our bill was ~$100 each morning (comped but not painless, sign the bill after 11AM and it gets coded as lunch on folio which front desk removed promptly upon request)
6) Pool is well heated - 85 or more
7) Prive welcome amenity was an excellent bottle of CA Chardonnay (i.e. not Canvas) and delicious fancy-box cookies
8) Great bar at the top of Culver City Public Market a 10 minute walk west in downtown Culver City)
9) Best menu item at etta was hanger steak, orecchiette v good, pep pizza solid
10) free popcorn all day by the pool table in lobby
11) homeless a non-issue in Culver City

when y’all are saying $100 and taken off, can you specify person in your party since there’s also stated $25/pp
Old Aug 21, 2023, 4:35 pm

Stay in August

Definitely an upgrade to the Hyatt presence in LA, though it’s been some time since last visited the city. Stayed 6 nights for a mix of business and pleasure. Basic room was upgraded to Standard suite at checkin - overlooking metro tracks. Not too noisy, soundproofing was decent, but as a Manhattanite YMMV when it comes to sound tolerance. Small living room (lower ceiling than rest of room and not as much natural light - large windows are in bedroom and bathroom), but spacious bathroom and bedroom. Nice to have real doors on the bathroom!

Globalist breakfast remains as described above. 1 entree, coffee and juice pp for up to 4 people. Dine in or order takeout while at Canopy Club, but no room service. Echoing experience above, ~$100 a day for 2 of us and all waived. Pretty enjoyable meals, tried a number of items given length of stay. Avocado toast (ask to add poached eggs) was very good. Crispy French toast was delicious. French omelette a little heavy on the garlic but good. Benedict was well constructed with the mushrooms and (I think) pancetta, but hollandaise could be better. Many dishes served with a fantastic sourdough.

Service was generally a bit spotty but definitely had highpoints. Lobby bar staffed by a friendly young guy (missed his name) and a couple of the breakfast crew had a similar, fun energy. Others were a bit more hit or miss - all competent but service could be slow/spotty at times especially by the pool or when asking things to be brought to the room. Valet was efficient and felt reasonable at $50/night (goodness what are we making ourselves get accustomed to).

All in all a pleasant stay - nice oasis in Culver. Have future visits coming up and the Shay makes it easier to give business to Hyatt in LA.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 4:36 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Etta Article

https://la.eater.com/2023/8/22/23842...bf85803aa9c150
Old Nov 12, 2023, 5:10 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
SUAs

When I stayed in 2022 they had both the Suite and Premium Suite as ‘standard Suites’. When I booked this year they said only the regular King Suite was in the standard pool. The descriptions online don’t indicate either way.

Certainly would be a logical change but can anyone else confirm they’ve been told the same?
Old Nov 13, 2023, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Stay in October

Had a nice stay in October for my son's wedding - he made arrangements for his wedding party to stay at The Shay, so I used his wedding package rate and my WoH Concierge used a SUA to secure a suite so that my wife and I could get ready for the wedding.

Check-in is officially listed at 4PM (which is quite late), and we showed up at 2PM and of course was told that our suite was not ready! So we grabbed a bite at Etta (more on this later) and went to run an errand. I asked if anything could be done to speed up getting into the suite for this Globalist, and we were promised by the rather "amateurish" front desk girl that we would be texted when our suite was ready, and we got nothing up until 3PM. At 3:15PM, i returned to the front desk and started to ask questions, and luckily, the Guest Experience Manager sitting across the way noticed and intervened (she came up to me and asked if I was the Globalist that they were expecting) and I was finally able to get into my suite just before 3:30PM.

The rest of the stay was actually quite nice! They sent up the prosecco and an additional bottle of wine as apologies for the snafu at check in. The Globalist breakfast at Canopy Club on the top floor with the pool was VERY good, as I ordered anything that I wanted and all charges were waived! Housekeeping was efficient and unobtrusive. But on the last day, there was confusion as to whether or not the Globalist breakfast could be taken in our suite (I already knew that it could not be but wanted to press my luck anyway, LOL).

After they received my survey with the good and the bad, the same Guest Experience Manager who is also the Assistant Rooms Manager emailed me to apologize on behalf of the hotel - she acknowledged that the front desk girl could use additional training and that the Globalist breakfast should have been allowed to be taken in the suite. She requested that some points be deposited into my account as "compensation" for these issues. I was so pleasantly surprised with all these goodwill gestures which showed that they take things very seriously, especially for Globalists (she acknowledged my status more than once). I concluded that while the stay was not perfect, it was fine, especially since my son's wedding went well and everyone was in a good mood (BTW, he got the Presidential "party" suite and it was GIGANTIC, with a huge balcony for an outdoor party).

PARKING: the hotel only offers valet parking for $60 a night! Ugh!!! Since this was not an award stay, I would have to pay so I parked next door at the Ivy Station public transit parking lot for $18 per 24 hours - NO in & out so it you need your car, it will be another $18 to get out and get back in, but still better than the $60 valet parking with in & out privileges.

ETTA: went there for a late lunch, and the food was very good as was the service. But Etta is no longer affiliated with The Shay so you cannot charge your meal to the room.

Last edited by sapguy; Nov 13, 2023 at 10:04 pm
Old Nov 14, 2023, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Cool stay, but $60/night in valet is surely worth the expense for your kid's wedding? I agree that the front desk staff can be lacking in customer service (a bit curt/short in the same way a lot of our younger employees can be at my workplace) but it seems like you got everything you were entitled to and were asking for more. I'm glad you got more since this bodes well for Globalist treatment in general. Which suite type did your SUA upgrade into?
Old Nov 15, 2023, 2:31 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
I didn’t pay the $60 since I parked next door at Ivy Station public parking for $18.

I got the King Suite, small living room and large bedroom, but it was fine.

The Shay is a decent hotel and I will be back.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 2:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I was told clearly that glob breakfast can’t be room service, but I boiled pick it up “to go “

I would also say they were great on my one night Thursday stay on a Cat 1 -7 cert ( got a balcony suite ). Given that when I inquired about checkout time, they proactively offered 4 PM., I would think expectations of getting a suite on Sunday before 4 PM all depends on how many globalists are taking advantage of 4 PM checkouts from this weeks from Saturday night.

3:30 sounds pretty good, unless you made early checkin arrangements.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sapguy
Check-in is officially listed at 4PM (which is quite late), and we showed up at 2PM and of course was told that our suite was not ready! So we grabbed a bite at Etta (more on this later) and went to run an errand. I asked if anything could be done to speed up getting into the suite for this Globalist, and we were promised by the rather "amateurish" front desk girl that we would be texted when our suite was ready, and we got nothing up until 3PM. At 3:15PM, i returned to the front desk and started to ask questions, and luckily, the Guest Experience Manager sitting across the way noticed and intervened (she came up to me and asked if I was the Globalist that they were expecting) and I was finally able to get into my suite just before 3:30PM.

The rest of the stay was actually quite nice! They sent up the prosecco and an additional bottle of wine as apologies for the snafu at check in.
Not following what the service fail was. 4 pm is standard big city check-in time. I would never expect a property to bend that rule just because I have status. Particularly when I've upgraded to a suite since there are often issues with Globalists being granted 4 pm check-out meaning they've no time to turn the room. What did you expect them to do - hold the room empty for you the night before?
Old Nov 19, 2023, 2:15 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by sapguy

PARKING: the hotel only offers valet parking for $60 a night! Ugh!!! Since this was not an award stay, I would have to pay so I parked next door at the Ivy Station public transit parking lot for $18 per 24 hours - NO in & out so it you need your car, it will be another $18 to get out and get back in, but still better than the $60 valet parking with in & out privileges.
Just curious how you managed to pay $18 a day when the station parking is $3 a day and you can do 3 days at a time? You just need a Metro card number in your Metro app and the right zone number. I paid $21 for 7 days last year. Just checked the app and pricing hasn’t changed.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Hyatt
Stayed in July 2023 for 2n using points. I am a globalist.

Upgraded only to the King Bed Studio; all suites were unavailable during my stay.

Was very happy with the room tbh, large enough size with large shower for 2.

Breakfast policy is noted as previously mentioned in this thread however I feel like its hard-coded to be for actually 4 people. Was just the two of us and we ate well. Grabbed multiple drinks! Very happy with breakfast!

Breakfast one: $122 after tip+tax
Breakfast Two: $113 after tip+tax

Valet was quite amazing - extremely proactive. We always called them before we headed out and the car was already ready by the time we got outside!

kaiotes likes this.

Last edited by loyaltyflyer; Dec 6, 2023 at 6:24 pm Reason: Added valet
Old Dec 15, 2023, 8:14 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Media reports that Etta will be closing this month for a new Italian concept.
Fans will be sad to hear. My experience was poor despite liking their 14 dollar focaccia bread
which was an inventive twist on the classic
The dishes were poorly executed despite showing culinary talent
I assume this is a limited a data point or to many cooks in the kitchen but not the executive chef
who spread themselves to thin
Lovely hotel nice staff with proper leadership/ mangement but as stated previously low rise new build construction lacking proper outside sound proofing
fotoflyer88, gadberry and gobaers like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.