Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Shay, Culver City, L.A. Destination Hotel REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 25, 2021, 8:13 am
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG

Haven‘t found a master thread so starting this one. Hotel is scheduled to open on November 1st.
website: https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ca...the-shay/laxdi

Hotel and rooms look very nice. I have made reservations over NYE. We are not party lovers, will probably just want to have a nice dinner and will even most probably be in bed before midnight

I do not know this area really. What are your thoughts of the area and possibilities for a nice dinner?

is it a stupid idea to be here over NYE? Rates are reasonable at 255.-
But it will give me the new hotel bonus and the Destination brand badge.

TIA
Old Sep 25, 2021, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Haven‘t found a master thread so starting this one. Hotel is scheduled to open on November 1st.

Hotel and rooms look very nice. I have made reservations over NYE. We are not party lovers, will probably just want to have a nice dinner and will even most probably be in bed before midnight

I do not know this area really. What are your thoughts of the area and possibilities for a nice dinner?

TIA
Los Angeles isn't a huge NYE town. Culver City isn't either. Given the location of the property and its size, I think you'll be fine getting dinner and then going to bed. Area is fine as are the dinner opportunities.

My biggest concern is if it will really be open in time.

David
59Impala likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

TIA
I would stay in and eat at etta. Local produce, creative dishes and cocktails. Probably best to make a reservation ahead of time.

Supposed to be located on the rooftop of the Shay.
59Impala likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 9:16 am

Note that there is a $30 Destination Fee per night.

A destination fee of $30.00 plus tax (subject to change) is applied to each night of your stay in order to provide the following services and amenities, which enhance the guest experience. Please contact the hotel directly for more information.
  • Two Single Ride Metro Passes for Exposition Line Per Stay: Santa Monica Beach to DTLA
  • Daily Drop Off Service Via Lyft within 2 mile radius between 7am and 7pm (ex: From the Kenneth Hahn State Park to Sony Studios)
  • VIP Treatment Upgrade at Ivy Station's Destination day spa: Milk & Honey Spa
  • $12 off class per stay at Ivy Station's three Wellness Partners: Yoga Six, Stretch Lab, & Barre
  • The Shay guest Exlusive Pricing on Functional Fitness Training in Culver City with Celebrity Training Center: Esser Fitness
  • Exlusive Craft Beer & California Wine Tasting at Culver City's Arts District Beer & Wine Emporium (Hi Lo)
  • CoolHaus Women Owned Ice Cream Sandwhich Shop (Arts District) named best ice cream sandwhich in LA
  • Complimentary Electric Vehicle Charging (Ivy Station)
  • Complimentary National/Domestic Calls
  • Printing and Copying Service Through Guest Services (25 pages)
  • 24 Hour Fitness Center Access on 2nd Floor Including Peloton Bikes
  • PressReader Digital Newspaper Service During Stay (domestic and international news and magazines)
  • In Room Nespresso Coffee (Kettle & Tea Setup upon request)
Old Sep 25, 2021, 9:21 am
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Note that there is a $30 Destination Fee per night.
This will be waived for me.
Actually don‘t have experience… but would I be entitled to these services and amenities when waived.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Actually don‘t have experience… but would I be entitled to these services and amenities when waived.
A suburban-ish hotel charging a destination fee. I wish this trend would stop.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 9:51 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
You are entitled to them, and most properties will provide them without too much drama.
lsquare and 59Impala like this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's super convenient to LAX and pretty easy access to most of the westside and the beach towns.

I would also be concerned about whether they open on time (and would probably make a back-up reservation)
59Impala likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 4:43 pm

This is part of the Ivy Station mixed-use development.

https://www.ivystationculvercity.com/hotel

If you click on the Neighborhood page and scroll down, there's a pdf map of the area that includes retail and dining destinations. Looks like the closest restaurant outside the complex is Del Taco!

In all seriousness, however, HBO moved their Los Angeles headquarters to the office space in that complex. I'm speculating, but I imagine that type of company would likely attract more upscale dining options.

https://la.curbed.com/2019/4/3/18294...ty-ivy-station

The biggest question mark (aside from Kacee's concern of whether the hotel opens on time) is whether the nearby dining options will be open on New Year's Eve.
59Impala likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
The hotel is at a busy intersection full of unattractive strip malls, but downtown Culver City is charming, historic, and walkable, with some decent and not too expensive restaurants. (Rush Street and Kay N’ Dave’s on Culver Boulevard are personal favorites of mine. Kay N’ Dave’s is supposed to be re-opening in the Fall.) The Westbound lanes of Culver Boulevard (walkable from the hotel) are currently blocked off for outdoor dining. I think they’ll continue to be blocked off through the end of the year.

If you’re into Thai food, Natalee Thai on Venice (also walkable) is a great restaurant and should be open on NYE.
platbrownguy, Kacee and 59Impala like this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many, many good restaurants have come and gone in this neighborhood (Ford's Filling Station, Fraiche, Baco Mercat, etc.) but there's still a good amount of food there including the places mentioned (although I never seem to love Rush Street) and Akasha is still right there, I think. There's a new mini-food court with Pizzette and a few other things, there's Margot and Roberta's and Loqui a few blocks away (maybe a bit to far to walk). A tiny bit further afield is Father's Office and Lukshon (both great).
Old Sep 25, 2021, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Etta had a decent write-up recently. On my list to try for lunch soon. Wise Sons Deli also recently opened in the old Baco location which would make a good breakfast/brunch option.

Culver City is a very central location - that is why HBO along with Amazon and Apple's entertainment production arms have recently setup shop there. And the Sony Pictures lot is on the west end of downtown. But of course in LA "central" generally means getting to places with a car. The Culver City Expo line station was built about a 10 minute walk to the east from downtown Culver City where many of the existing restaurants are/were. Development has been filling in between downtown and the station -- but that is why you can still find a strip mall like the one with the Del Taco right next to a nice new development like Ivy Station. Venice Blvd is also the border between Culver City and Los Angeles so you have very different things happening on each side of the road.

In addition to the restaurants mentioned, you are pretty close (7 min uber) to N/Naka (which has reopened) and Vespertine (10 min walk - currently take-out only) if you really want to blow it out for NYE.

LA is definitely an early NYE town -- we watch the ball drop at 9 PM afterall! But formal fireworks may make a return this year and often there are a lot of informal ones going off -- which you would probably have a decent view of from the rooftop.

I have always wondered when the hotels would start opening in Culver City. I think it is as good a place as any to stay as anywhere else. And between the Expo Line to downtown or Santa Monica and short uber rides you probably do not need a car.
lsquare and 59Impala like this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Many, many good restaurants have come and gone in this neighborhood (Ford's Filling Station, Fraiche, Baco Mercat, etc.) but there's still a good amount of food there including the places mentioned (although I never seem to love Rush Street) and Akasha is still right there, I think. There's a new mini-food court with Pizzette and a few other things, there's Margot and Roberta's and Loqui a few blocks away (maybe a bit to far to walk). A tiny bit further afield is Father's Office and Lukshon (both great).
the Margot/Roberta's complex, Platform LA, is a nice visit. walkable, outdoors, pretty decent parking complex. the Boba Guys there is pretty good, and it's nice that there's a Blue Bottle for coffee as well as Aesop.
Lukshon is still closed, I believe, but Father's Office is a great spot for burgers/beer.

Overall, this is an interesting location for a new Hyatt hotel. close to a lot of things but in an area that's still relatively up and coming. a lot of film/streaming employers nearby.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 12:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by dbuckho
Etta had a decent write-up recently. On my list to try for lunch soon.

In addition to the restaurants mentioned, you are pretty close... to...Vespertine (10 min walk - currently take-out only) if you really want to blow it out for NYE.

I have always wondered when the hotels would start opening in Culver City. I think it is as good a place as any to stay as anywhere else.
Been waiting for this property to open for a long time. Was scheduled to open in summer, delayed like everything else in LA. Last week I booked a room in November specifically for two reasons: #1: Vespertine (in-restaurant if possible, "at-home" if not) and #2 to try the hotel's Etta restaurant.
59Impala likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
Been waiting for this property to open for a long time. Was scheduled to open in summer, delayed like everything else in LA. Last week I booked a room in November specifically for two reasons: #1: Vespertine (in-restaurant if possible, "at-home" if not) and #2 to try the hotel's Etta restaurant.
Vespertine's take-out options have been very hands-on/heavy assembly and re-heating and cooking required. don't think you'd be able to do this without access to a full home kitchen.
josephstern likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.