Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Shay, Culver City, L.A. Destination Hotel REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Shay, Culver City, L.A. Destination Hotel REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2024, 8:00 pm

Etta has been replaced with Prima Donna. Breakfast has also been moved from the Canopy Club to Prima Donna and there’s a new menu (no mention of this at check in, only found out in the AM). They also moved breakfast starting at 6:30 am to 7:00 am so I didn’t get to try it.

I was upgraded to a premium suite, 301. Never again. The train is literally 50 yards from the room and kept me awake pretty late and early in the morning.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Media reports that Etta will be closing this month for a new Italian concept.
Fans will be sad to hear. My experience was poor despite liking their 14 dollar focaccia bread
which was an inventive twist on the classic
The dishes were poorly executed despite showing culinary talent
I assume this is a limited a data point or to many cooks in the kitchen but not the executive chef
who spread themselves to thin
Lovely hotel nice staff with proper leadership/ mangement but as stated previously low rise new build construction lacking proper outside sound proofing
Looks this Etta location wasn't the only one struggling -- their parent company filed for bankruptcy this week (Chapter 11, hoping to restructure or sell).
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 5:31 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Etta has been replaced with Prima Donna. Breakfast has also been moved from the Canopy Club to Prima Donna and there’s a new menu (no mention of this at check in, only found out in the AM). They also moved breakfast starting at 6:30 am to 7:00 am so I didn’t get to try it.

I was upgraded to a premium suite, 301. Never again. The train is literally 50 yards from the room and kept me awake pretty late and early in the morning.
Like many of the inspiring team and the nice upgrade but the rates were sky high
for an ok off the beaten path up and coming location that will never be Santa Monica Beverly Hills etc
Was astounded of the hype around overpriced Etta like it was amazing of high end standards.
I never desired to return after a hard bed,no hot water a fire alarm after 1 AM organized chaos
and noise keeping me up equally as bad for 400 500 dollars a night and
a wrap for breakfast (ugh) Later improved with actual breakfast
Liked the decor though very much & awesome vibe but @ 25000 points? its a no for me Dawg
You cant sleep or dine on vibe alone.I've seen much worse in my time for sure!
Old Apr 7, 2024, 7:41 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Just did another 1 night staycation with the wife here.

Prima Donna is like Etta #2... some of the same staff, similar menu (Branzino is still delicious). But not a fan of their pizza or most of their appetizers. Its like they are trying just a tad too hard to throw ingredients together and forcing them to work, so its hit and miss. Service was good overall for a busy evening. Its one of those places... go once, and unless you're staying at the hotel, wouldn't go again as a local.

Got upgraded, similar to past stays, to a Suite on the 5th floor, #502.

Train is def. loud as it always has been before, which is the big negative; they really should have done better soundproofing for all rooms on that side. Other then that, no complaints and The Shay remains our favorite Hyatt in LA proper (though thats not exactly saying much with the lack of options nearby) for a quick 1 night getaway from the kiddos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.