Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Athens REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 12:36 am
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA

Finally, a new city announced in Europe: Athens.

"Hyatt announced today that a Hyatt affiliate has entered into a franchise agreement with both Henderson Park and Hines for the first Grand Hyatt hotel in Greece, Grand Hyatt Athens. The opening is expected in Q3 2018. The hotel will be managed by Kokari Limited and will deliver bold and vibrant luxury for guests in this iconic destination.

The 310-room hotel will be centrally located on Syngrou Avenue in Athens’ Koukaki district, close to golf courses, restaurants and within walking distance of Filopappos Hill. Grand Hyatt Athens will be uniquely designed to reflect its Greek culture with dramatic architecture and innovative design. First-class accommodations will welcome guests along with a spectacular rooftop bar and restaurant, an outdoor swimming pool and a stunning view of the Acropolis. Additional amenities will include best-in-class food and beverage venues, more than 11,600 square feet of meeting space as well as a spa and fitness center.

Full press release:
Hyatt Newsroom - News Releases

https://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article99927.html

Last edited by 59Impala; May 22, 2018 at 8:14 am
Old May 22, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum (LTG), Hilton Gold, United 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP 75K
Q3 is coming up quick. Any word on when rooms will be bookable?
Old May 22, 2018, 11:00 am

Wow. Hyatt actually starting to get a little European presence ... Budapest Athens Madrid... Still a long way to go though but it's something.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
I don't love the location, but it'll be nice to have additional international chain hotel options in Athens.
Old May 22, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Isn't there also supposed to be a Hyatt Regency coming for Athens? Or have they changed their minds and gone with the Grand Hyatt branding?
Old May 22, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: Mosaic JetBlue, explorist, chase reserve
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Isn't there also supposed to be a Hyatt Regency coming for Athens? Or have they changed their minds and gone with the Grand Hyatt branding?
Originally was announced as a regency but they seemed to have shifted to a Grand.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flythemiles21

Originally was announced as a regency but they seemed to have shifted to a Grand.
^ It did seem odd that we would suddenly go from zero Hyatts to two, but I was too lazy to compare the promoter between this announcement and the previous one.
Old May 24, 2018, 3:33 am
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Even seem to be pushing for a Q2 / July opening:

https://m.naftemporiki.gr/story/1353...uly-18-opening
Old May 24, 2018, 6:25 am

Keeping my fingers crossed...I will be in Athens during third week of October. Hope this hotel opens by then. Will surely give it a try.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by justforfun
I don't love the location, but it'll be nice to have additional international chain hotel options in Athens.
The location is quite inconvenient for the major sites.....even worse then the Hilton. It might be the reason the original hotel in that location ( Athens Ledra) couldn't make a go of it with all the recent good competition in the heart of the ancient zone.
justforfun likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Interesting since Marriott also just announced a new Marriott Athens opening this year as well
Old May 27, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by david55
The location is quite inconvenient for the major sites.....even worse then the Hilton. It might be the reason the original hotel in that location ( Athens Ledra) couldn't make a go of it with all the recent good competition in the heart of the ancient zone.
The Ledra originally opened as the Ledra Marriott in mid-80’s. Our family would go there for the Sunday buffet. Location is equidistant from tourist areas as the Hilton, but this location is seedy. It’ll be a tough choice for us going forward.

Very excited to get a Hyatt in my hometown nonetheless.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:39 am

Having never been to Athens but always wanting to go, how is the mass transit situation here in general and with regards to this hotel location? What would be the realistic expectations for time and ease to get to major sites from here? How seedy we talking also?
Old May 28, 2018, 4:15 pm

Going in Aug, hoping will be open then
Old May 29, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by antonius66
How seedy we talking also?
Prostitutes and strip clubs. The area hasn't improved at all in 35+ years. I can't understand why the Hyatt is going into that location. My husband is a Globalist with Hyatt and a nobody with Hilton, yet we will choose the Hilton each and every time over that location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.