Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Certificates Are Being Extended?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2021, 2:58 pm

Hyatt has become a car dealer. First with the narrowly targeted offer last month, now this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I feel bad for the Hyatt cs agents who have to deal with the headache this policy has created.
Originally Posted by redbirdsj
Happy with the outcome but annoyed with the process.
The process sucks. Via twitter, I was given 30k points for three expiring Cat 1-4s. They wouldn't do anything with my Cat 1-7, since it's expiring Jan. 2.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I just got off the phone with the Globalist support line after 1.5 hours (mostly on hold as they escalated me up the chain a bit). I have a cat 1-4 expiring Jan 4th 2022, and I was surprised since I had used some 1-4 certs earlier this year that has expirations later in 2022. I had done a lot of re-booking like everyone else due to Covid, and I'm sure the Jan 4th cert was held up while I used the others, then I cancelled the reservation that had the Jan 4th cert and thus ended up in a silly situation where my fastest expiring cert was available and all the other ones were used.

In any case, I thought this would be a fairly simple situation, please just extend the expiration date of the remaining cert which is was obviously the intent. Haha, how wrong I was. The amount of energy they spent explaining that I need to babysit the reservations to avoid this sort of technical slip was surprising. We ended in an infinite loop where they explained how their system works and the sequence that allowed it to happen, and I explained that I get it but it seems reasonable for them to act as-if the certs had been used in the order that'd benefit the customer (me) who earned them.

Anywho, I decided to blow this cert on a mini staycation (which I told them I was going to do if they didn't fix it), so Hyatt doesn't save any money anyway.

And finally I searched this site to decide where to post my rant and it seems like I should've just swung at hyatt on twitter who might've given me points? Oy vey. I'll keep that in mind for 2023 when I'll likely have a bunch of other rewards expiring.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by manu08
it seems like I should've just swung at hyatt on twitter who might've given me points?
No they would have told you they're only empowered to give points for certs expiring 12/31/21. And it would have taken at least 24 hours to get a response.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 6:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I don't understand the complaining here about wait times and free night certificate or TSU extensions, especially from those folks who were able and did travel throughout 2021 but didn't use them.

I see many folks here who posted reviews this year in Hyatts who complain about TSU or free night certificates. Why didn't you use them befoee if you could?

For those who couldn't use, I understand better the frustration but Hyatt is generally making people whole.

Wait times? When millions of Americans have caught covid in last month, Christmas time... Whst do people expect?

Hyatt in past week had made me far more loyal than less. I don't grt the vitriol. I could've used a TSU but didn't and Hyatt extended for a tear. Thank you
orca1114 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 6:33 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
I just got off the phone with the Globalist support line after 1.5 hours (mostly on hold as they escalated me up the chain a bit). I have a cat 1-4 expiring Jan 4th 2022, and I was surprised since I had used some 1-4 certs earlier this year that has expirations later in 2022. I had done a lot of re-booking like everyone else due to Covid, and I'm sure the Jan 4th cert was held up while I used the others, then I cancelled the reservation that had the Jan 4th cert and thus ended up in a silly situation where my fastest expiring cert was available and all the other ones were used.

In any case, I thought this would be a fairly simple situation, please just extend the expiration date of the remaining cert which is was obviously the intent. Haha, how wrong I was. The amount of energy they spent explaining that I need to babysit the reservations to avoid this sort of technical slip was surprising. We ended in an infinite loop where they explained how their system works and the sequence that allowed it to happen, and I explained that I get it but it seems reasonable for them to act as-if the certs had been used in the order that'd benefit the customer (me) who earned them.

Anywho, I decided to blow this cert on a mini staycation (which I told them I was going to do if they didn't fix it), so Hyatt doesn't save any money anyway.

And finally I searched this site to decide where to post my rant and it seems like I should've just swung at hyatt on twitter who might've given me points? Oy vey. I'll keep that in mind for 2023 when I'll likely have a bunch of other rewards expiring.
This has been a problem for years. Similarly, the system will also pull a Cat 1-7 award instead of a Cat 1-4 at times.

That said, why did you burn the cert instead of let it expire and take the 10,000 points?

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I don't understand the complaining here about wait times and free night certificate or TSU extensions, especially from those folks who were able and did travel throughout 2021 but didn't use them.

I see many folks here who posted reviews this year in Hyatts who complain about TSU or free night certificates. Why didn't you use them befoee if you could?

For those who couldn't use, I understand better the frustration but Hyatt is generally making people whole.

Wait times? When millions of Americans have caught covid in last month, Christmas time... Whst do people expect?

Hyatt in past week had made me far more loyal than less. I don't grt the vitriol. I could've used a TSU but didn't and Hyatt extended for a tear. Thank you
I haven't seen any "vitriol" in this thread. Just a lot of people accurately pointing out how ridiculous and needlessly time-consuming Hyatt's handling of this has been.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat
I am a credit card hold, so I have low status with Hyatt. I just tried via the chat interface to get points for my certificates that expire today. The agent said there was nothing they could do. I'll try again sometime in the next few days.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:07 am

Programs: IHG One Rewards & World of Hyatt
I think they've done a fine job overall, even if it's taken a few days to complete the request.

As a data point, they offered 500 points per club access award (had 2), but I said I'd heard 1000 was available. A day later, 2,000 points was credited, no hassle.

Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:10 am

Today I did the chat feature for a different question, it was connected within 5 seconds. Looks like the long wait before was mainly due to asking for points/extensions?
lotrbfme likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by js1993

That said, why did you burn the cert instead of let it expire and take the 10,000 points?
Is that an automatic thing? I didn't know about it, and the 3 support agents I spoke to never mentioned it, nor did my concierge who hasn't responded in 4 days.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United Silver
Originally Posted by gbdbld
Today I did the chat feature for a different question, it was connected within 5 seconds. Looks like the long wait before was mainly due to asking for points/extensions?
My chat session for the Mrs's certificate encounter considerable shorter time to (15min or so compared to hours when I did mine the day before Christmas).

3K/club access awards and 20K for expiring category 1-7 awards via the chat. Both of our respective concierges only extends half of the available TSU though (1/2 for myself and 2/4 for the Mrs).

if there's anything to nitpick is the inability to use TSU with free night certificates. We used about 8 certificates between us for a few trips this year and can't use TSU on any of them.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm pleased to report that is not universally true IMO. I've been treated exceptionally well at a number of US properties this year, including particularly GH SFO.
Perhaps, I've been unlucky but going something like 0 for 5. Having said that, I'll give it another year, and if international leisure travel doesn't open up, it's hard to envision choosing Hyatts over another purely for "elite" benefits. The only pleasant surprise I've had this year on a domestic Hyatt stay was the GH San Diego, which had a world class gym (by hotel standards) unlike even the PHNY which mostly caters to the cardio vixen crowd.

Originally Posted by Kacee
The process sucks. Via twitter, I was given 30k points for three expiring Cat 1-4s. They wouldn't do anything with my Cat 1-7, since it's expiring Jan. 2.
While only speaking for myself, I'm very put off with this constant effort where they place the onus on me to ask. I stay 7 nights in HNL and pay more than I ordinarily would, only later to have been suggested to me that I should have asked for points on the breakfast restaurant being closed. Or, in this case with unused certs/nights, I have to call or message MHC, who like most are probably enjoying new year's, to have these things extended and scavenge for crumbs...er...points.

Not sure what it is, but something has changed with Hyatt. It's not the same.
js1993 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat

Something similar happened to me. Slightly more complicated and Hyatt’s fault though. I got a case number and they said to contact when it expired if I still hadn’t been able to use it. Just sent a DM via Twitter. We shall see if they honor the promise they made to give me 15k points.

UPDATE: via DM twitter. First reply gave 10k. Second reply gave 15k. I had to point out again what I was promised, given the Hyatt mixup that led to the expiring cert. but they came through on this one. Prior success with CAA was 500 per but ultimately raised to 1000 per. I was too tired to continue begging and pointing out the inequity. Glob lite, explorist the last few years.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jan 4, 2022 at 11:10 am
Old Jan 1, 2022, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by maverickFT
From thread data points on the expiring cat 1-4 certs, Discoverists have been getting nothing while Explorists have gotten 10k. As a Discoverist, not sure if I should book an in-town staycation or roll the dice for more points after expiration
Checked back in today post expiry, no points offered.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Family member is globalist 94 nights. Offered 10k per cat 1-4 cert and 20k for an expired cat 7 cert.
js1993 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.