FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Certificates Are Being Extended? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/2044700-certificates-being-extended.html)

Eke2k6 Jun 22, 2021 6:58 pm

Certificates Are Being Extended?

Just got off the Globalist line, after trying to find a good use for my 7 certificates before they expire shortly. I was told that all certificates earned this year are being extended to Dec 31st!

Apparently it was a brand new memo, just sent out. Hopefully they’ll follow through with it.

coleslaw Jun 22, 2021 7:12 pm

Great if they do, but they’ve left it quite late to announce an extension (since the earliest of the 6m validity awards are coming up to expiry in the next 2-3 weeks).

myperks Jun 22, 2021 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw (Post 33349572)
Great if they do, but they’ve left it quite late to announce an extension (since the earliest of the 6m validity awards are coming up to expiry in the next 2-3 weeks).

it’s a game of who blinks first. I would think the bloggers would reported it with their Hyatt contacts.

RedSun Jun 22, 2021 10:32 pm

This is what we assumed. It was discussed so many times and some folks were against extending those FNAs that have original 6-month expiry....

Glad that Hyatt extended those.

Guy Betsy Jun 23, 2021 2:33 am

WOH should really look beyond America where a lot of their members like me are still banned from travelling outside of the country. In my case, its Malaysia. And there are no Hyatt properties in my State, meanwhile even Inter-state travels are banned which means its gonna be hard taking advantage of any promotion much less using any certificates. I have two expiring in September and October this year and I'm probably getting another certificate in a couple of weeks so it is a blessing that they are getting extended.

Guy Betsy Jun 23, 2021 2:36 am

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 33349599)
it’s a game of who blinks first. I would think the bloggers would reported it with their Hyatt contacts.

No blogger is faster than a FlyerTalker !

GrayAnderson Jun 23, 2021 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 33350138)
WOH should really look beyond America where a lot of their members like me are still banned from travelling outside of the country. In my case, its Malaysia. And there are no Hyatt properties in my State, meanwhile even Inter-state travels are banned which means its gonna be hard taking advantage of any promotion much less using any certificates. I have two expiring in September and October this year and I'm probably getting another certificate in a couple of weeks so it is a blessing that they are getting extended.

I'm glad Hyatt did this. At a minimum, it is nice not to have the two "status" FNAs expiring early in the year (I already used one, but being able to put the Cat 7 off to the fall/winter is nice).

I suspect that Hyatt may need to eyeball the policy for some countries that have been lurching in and out of lockdowns this year/contending with aggressive border closures for possible extensions of the CC awards (or offering points-in-lieu). I do not expect that to be a universal offering, but I can see them doing it on a case-by-case basis. Travel-wise the pandemic may be over in some places, but in others the restrictions are still a bit ugly.

Eke2k6 How did you have seven certificates expiring so soon? Or was it a Cat 7 cert you were trying to use?

mk712 Jun 23, 2021 5:04 am

I'm confused by this thread - I thought all the certs had already been extended?

My 30-night milestone reward cert from earlier this year has had a December 31st, 2021 expiration date ever since it appeared in my account, even though it's supposed to be a 6-month cert. As far as I know the only other certs with a 6-month expiration are the credit card welcome bonus certs (but I don't recall seeing that offer around this year), so I guess that only leaves the Q2 Bonus Journeys certs?

EDIT: doing some more reading it seems not everyone's milestone reward certs from this year have had a December 31st, 2021 expiration date, looks kinda random with some people receiving 6-month certs (example) and others extended certs (example). Weird. Sounds very unfair so I'm glad they're officially rectifying that, even though it doesn't affect me personally as I was one of the lucky ones.

ZBigFam Jun 23, 2021 8:19 am

I can confirm this, when I was making my booking for Ventana my concierge mentioned this. This only applies to awards earned in 2021 though.

mhdena Jun 23, 2021 8:26 am

Would be nice if they update everyone's account to show Dec 31 for the milestone awards earned in 2021.

myperks Jun 23, 2021 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 33350138)

unless you weren’t in Malaysia the whole time this year, how did you earn the two awards without staying at a property if there weren’t any Hyatts in your state?

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 33350704)
I can confirm this, when I was making my booking for Ventana my concierge mentioned this. This only applies to awards earned in 2021 though.

all 2020 earned awards got extended to Dec 31st already so only 2021 earned in question to begin with.

ZBigFam Jun 23, 2021 8:49 am

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 33350756)

... all 2020 earned awards got extended to Dec 31st already so only 2021 earned in question to begin with.

Not true. My cat 1-7 that I earned in 2020 wasn't extended to 12/31. In fact it expires 12/13 which confused my concierge at first.

myperks Jun 23, 2021 9:13 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 33350768)
Not true. My cat 1-7 that I earned in 2020 wasn't extended to 12/31. In fact it expires 12/13 which confused my concierge at first.

by policy it was. Yours slipped through the system which I’m assuming your concierge took care of.

iluvdoco Jun 23, 2021 9:55 am

Hopefully my cert that expires in December 2021 will be extended another 6 months :)

DubSlick Jun 23, 2021 11:08 am

Have a Cat 7 cert that expires 8/15/2021, so I used it when booking a room in July. After seeing this post, I cancelled the reservation, but the cert still has the original expiration date. Any idea about when the expiration will change to 12/31/21?