Wiki Posts
Search

Certificates Are Being Extended?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2022, 2:08 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by SHLTP
I don't understand the complaining here about wait times and free night certificate or TSU extensions, especially from those folks who were able and did travel throughout 2021 but didn't use them.

I see many folks here who posted reviews this year in Hyatts who complain about TSU or free night certificates. Why didn't you use them befoee if you could?

For those who couldn't use, I understand better the frustration but Hyatt is generally making people whole.

Wait times? When millions of Americans have caught covid in last month, Christmas time... Whst do people expect?

Hyatt in past week had made me far more loyal than less. I don't grt the vitriol. I could've used a TSU but didn't and Hyatt extended for a tear. Thank you
If you have been made whole or better by Hyatt, of course you are satisfied and stay loyal (until you get screwed by them at some point in the future). But, there have been reports by some who were denied extension or point conversion. To them, that leaves a bitter taste knowing others have had better treatment. I realize granting extension/point conversion is well within Hyatt's right, but making members "beg" for favors just doesn't seem right to me.

LAX
ceebee100, Kacee and js1993 like this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by kxc262
Family member is globalist 94 nights. Offered 10k per cat 1-4 cert and 20k for an expired cat 7 cert.
Any Chase free nights in there?
Old Jan 1, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
I am very sincere that this is a nice gift from Hyatt. But it is so odd that everyone's has been different, and here (plus comments on the travel blogs) it seems that asking a second or third time was needed to get the 3K points, which is ridiculous. I got 500 from my twitter message a few days ago, with a terse answer when I asked why 500. So today, I chatted on the Hyatt app. Told them I definitely appreciate getting the points, but would really like to understand why they are different for everyone and why I was at the low end. Response was interesting, as below. (Excessive.. not factual.. hmm)

We have been following the comments and feedback provided online regarding excessive compensation being provided. We are continuously researching and the information being circulated is not factual. We evaluate accounts individually, since everyone’s situations are different. I’m not able to share the details of our process or the circumstances surrounding other member’s accounts.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 4:44 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by LAX
If you have been made whole or better by Hyatt, of course you are satisfied and stay loyal (until you get screwed by them at some point in the future). But, there have been reports by some who were denied extension or point conversion. To them, that leaves a bitter taste knowing others have had better treatment. I realize granting extension/point conversion is well within Hyatt's right, but making members "beg" for favors just doesn't seem right to me.

LAX
bringing up a new thought on who got points or not. The current targeted offers leaves a bitter taste as well to those who were not targeted. Maybe the check they did was to see if the requestor was targeted or not. I was not targeted and received points.

apparently there is no correlation between tier nights, spend, status… so this may be an explanation.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 5:21 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
I was targeted and got the 12,000 points the first time I asked.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
I haven't received a response from Hyatt for over a week now (presumably due to holiday closures?) but given it's now 2022 all my Club Access awards have disappeared. I sincerely hope they will award me the points anyway.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by LAX
To them, that leaves a bitter taste knowing others have had better treatment. I realize granting extension/point conversion is well within Hyatt's right, but making members "beg" for favors just doesn't seem right to me.
Now that I'm up to speed on the domestic Hyatt experience, the etiquette and reciprocal grace I practiced with Hyatts abroad are going out the window here in the States. Before each US stay, I'm going to request from MHC whatever Globs benefits are, then demand I receive them; if not, I'm going full NY'er mode on them, since it's apparent to me relationships with domestic properties aren't worth what they are abroad.

PS - Beg from a hotel where I pay? Yeah, that'll be the day, and they can take that and shove it up where the sun don't shine.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 4:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Visconti
Now that I'm up to speed on the domestic Hyatt experience, the etiquette and reciprocal grace I practiced with Hyatts abroad are going out the window here in the States. Before each US stay, I'm going to request from MHC whatever Globs benefits are, then demand I receive them; if not, I'm going full NY'er mode on them, since it's apparent to me relationships with domestic properties aren't worth what they are abroad.

PS - Beg from a hotel where I pay? Yeah, that'll be the day, and they can take that and shove it up where the sun don't shine.
What properties are you staying at that don’t value your relationship? I’ve stayed at dozens of US properties and all of them seem to value my business.

I would exclude HH and HP properties from that because they don’t really have any benefits to offer Globalists. Other than PHNY and a few Hyatt Affiliated, but not Hyatt branded properties (JDV, Destination, etc.) I’d say any full service property where you’re a frequent guest should notice, and you’ll notice a difference.

Properties have emailed weeks or months ahead with upgrades to Standard or even Premium Suites for us, we frequent about 3 properties staying at least a week or at each every year spread out between 2-3 stays each property (or more depending on promos, prices etc.). They’ll also email along current updates, policies with COVID, what’s open or not and so on.

Ours would be - San Diego, Utah, and the greater Los Angeles Area for reference. At these 3 we typically do paid stays, and only stay towards off season where rates are very low ($100-$150 a night).
Old Jan 2, 2022, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Matt4200
What properties are you staying at that don’t value your relationship? I’ve stayed at dozens of US properties and all of them seem to value my business.
Ah, about 5 or 6 in major US cities? I'm not going to name them here, but they were first time visits for me. I only use HH/HPs for overnight stays and expect nothing except for the bottled water.

Properties have emailed weeks or months ahead with upgrades to Standard or even Premium Suites for us, we frequent about 3 properties staying at least a week or at each every year spread out between 2-3 stays each property (or more depending on promos, prices etc.). They’ll also email along current updates, policies with COVID, what’s open or not and so on.
I've not experienced any of this. Matter of fact, several times I just assumed there weren't suites available for the Glob upgrade only to realize, assuming the app was accurate, that standard suites were available. I just didn't want to bother to head back down to complain, but next time I'll just check first and demand it if it's available; if they refuse, I'll hold the line and call Hyatt Corp to resolve it.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 4:50 am

Ah, about 5 or 6 in major US cities? I'm not going to name them here, but they were first time visits for me. I only use HH/HPs for overnight stays and expect nothing except for the bottled water.

I've not experienced any of this. Matter of fact, several times I just assumed there weren't suites available for the Glob upgrade only to realize, assuming the app was accurate, that standard suites were available. I just didn't want to bother to head back down to complain, but next time I'll just check first and demand it if it's available; if they refuse, I'll hold the line and call Hyatt Corp to resolve it.
Maybe check the threads here to see which properties have the best reps, there’s even a Globalist Upgrade thread to tell you best properties.

I’d say Manchester Grand (if you stay often, which is at least 5-7 nights a year) in San Diego would be the top property for Globalists and an excellent Cat 1-4 redemption.

If you expect them to roll out the red carpet on your first stay of 2-3 nights at any property you’ll likely be disappointed.

If you want to be sure to get your benefits do this -

Send an email a week ahead mentioning you have a stay coming up and wanted to know exactly what Globalist benefits are offered at their property.

This let’s them know you are a Globalist with an upcoming stay and they’ll likely make a note you’re coming to pre-upgrade you without you being pushy or demanding. It also gives you what to expect as far as benefits, especially the Globalist Breakfast which can vary by property.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 4:57 am

If you expect them to roll out the red carpet on your first stay of 2-3 nights at any property you’ll likely be disappointed.
Ah, I certainly don't expect this, either here or abroad; however, what I do expect is that should there be a standard suite available upon check in, I receive it without any fanfare. That's it. They don't have to be polite, nice or anything else.

Send an email a week ahead mentioning you have a stay coming up and wanted to know exactly what Globalist benefits are offered at their property.

This let’s them know you are a Globalist with an upcoming stay and they’ll likely make a note you’re coming to pre-upgrade you without you being pushy or demanding. It also gives you what to expect as far as benefits, especially the Globalist Breakfast which can vary by property.
I've read this advice, but it's not something I should have to resort to. I'm sure this works for you and many others, but this just isn't something I'm going to be able to do. I'm expecting whatever Glob benefits are and just demand it--if it leads to conflict, I have no qualms with this, and will just insist it during the check in process.
ceebee100 and js1993 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 5:26 am

Ah, I certainly don't expect this, either here or abroad; however, what I do expect is that should there be a standard suite available upon check in, I receive it without any fanfare. That's it. They don't have to be polite, nice or anything else.

I've read this advice, but it's not something I should have to resort to. I'm sure this works for you and many others, but this just isn't something I'm going to be able to do. I'm expecting whatever Glob benefits are and just demand it--if it leads to conflict, I have no qualms with this, and will just insist it during the check in process.
I’m not saying you’re wrong, if there is a Standard Suite available when you check in then yes you should receive it.

However, the method I presented offers a possibility of a pre-upgrade meaning any other Globalists who show up the same day as you you’re already upgraded while they have to hope it’s available.

The method presented occasionally gets an upgrade a week ahead while 90% of the time getting one the day prior, and 5-10% receiving it the day of check in.

Use whatever works.

With Hilton I always have to ask for the upgrade it’s never done ahead and I’m a Diamond with them. I typically stay at DoubleTree when I need to stay with Hilton, but it always requires a request, rather than being proactively offered which is irking. Not sure what brand I’d compare it to with Hyatt, it’s like if HR and HP mixed, whereas Hilton Garden Inn is exactly like a HP.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 5:53 am

However, the method I presented offers a possibility of a pre-upgrade meaning any other Globalists who show up the same day as you you’re already upgraded while they have to hope it’s available.

The method presented occasionally gets an upgrade a week ahead while 90% of the time getting one the day prior, and 5-10% receiving it the day of check in.

Use whatever works.
I get it, but this just isn't something I'm gonna be able to do. Not knocking it, but this feels like the scavenger thing that just isn't my cup of tea. Having said that, I'm fine and have no problem should standard suite upgrades be unavailable because I'm too lazy to email ahead of time. I'm starting to realize that domestic Hyatts--with a few exceptions (maybe two)--just isn't for me, and that's ok.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
My wife and I both had a Chase Free Night certificate that was set to expire on December 31, 2021. We are both Discoverists and therefore did not expect any chance to convert them into points. I decided not to use them and just let them expire.

To my surprise, we still have one Free Night certificate each in our accounts this morning, with different new expiration dates. Mine will expire in November 2022, hers will expire earlier in May. We are happy.

So for anyone who had FN set to expire on December 31, 2021, you may want to take a look in your account to see if they are still there with a new expiration date.
js1993 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Originally Posted by 59Impala
bringing up a new thought on who got points or not. The current targeted offers leaves a bitter taste as well to those who were not targeted. Maybe the check they did was to see if the requestor was targeted or not. I was not targeted and received points.
I was not targeted. And got 500 points. (Again, globalist for many years.)

One possibility is that the last 2 years, without business travel, my average nightly rate has been much lower.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.