Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Certificates Are Being Extended?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2021, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
I understand the Disappointment that comes from inconsistency, but any attempt to enforce consistency will result in everyone getting the same, but at a lower level (i.e Everyone getting 500 points without exception).

Equity can be overrated.
I can see the rationale behind Globalists getting 500 points and Explorists getting 3000. The Club Access awards are pretty useful/valuable for an Explorist. They are much less useful/valuable for a Globalist. 500 points is kind of pathetic, but I would take that over 0. Hopefully they're still offering a points alternative in February when my next batch comes up towards their expiration dates.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by izdr1
Chatted with Twitter account. Asked extension, was denied (they specifically mentioned not extending *Chase* free night certificates). I then mentioned that I had previously talked with an agent who said I could call back free expiration for points. After some delay, I received this response:

Hello! Happy to assist. We apologize for the delay. Due to a recent update, you may reach out to us after the awards initial expiration so we can replace the awards in the form of points. ^Joseph
update: I asked how many points, and was told via Twitter 10K per night for cat1-4 awards.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by coleslaw
I can see the rationale behind Globalists getting 500 points and Explorists getting 3000. The Club Access awards are pretty useful/valuable for an Explorist. They are much less useful/valuable for a Globalist. 500 points is kind of pathetic, but I would take that over 0. Hopefully they're still offering a points alternative in February when my next batch comes up towards their expiration dates.
They're only less useful for Globalists if the lounges are open, which they're not. Otherwise, there would be no reason to give comp to anyone.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:17 am

i got 500 points per Club cert via chat, then the next day got an extra 2500 per Club cert via chat.
painlessly said heard a friend got 3000 ea and that was sufficient for the true-up.

i got 2 of my 3 available 12/31/21 TSUs "extended" in the form of 2 new 02/28/23 TSU awards via globalist concierge general telephone line.
she offered to "extend" 1 of 3 and 500 points per Club.
mentioned I had already received points for Club award and that honestly was sufficient to bump the TSU "extended" offer to 2 of 3.

suppose I have a final avenue of contact unused - directly email to concierge - to see about getting that final TSU "extended".

"extended" is in quotes because the actual process is new awards while leaving the soon-to-expire awards be.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by js1993
They're only less useful for Globalists if the lounges are open, which they're not. Otherwise, there would be no reason to give comp to anyone.
Many lounges are open. Not all. Not most. But many.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:45 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Many lounges are open. Not all. Not most. But many.
Whatever the percentage is, the simple fact remains: Hyatt lounge closures aren't somehow disproportionately affecting Explorists.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by js1993
Whatever the percentage is, the simple fact remains: Hyatt lounge closures aren't somehow disproportionately affecting Explorists.
Lounge closures aren’t disproportionately affecting Explorists, club access passes are.

Globalists get lounge access as a factor of status. Explorists need to use club access passes. The only use of club access passes for a Globalist is to use it for another room at the same property for the same nights the Globalist is staying there. That’s pretty niche. That’s why I’m saying the value of a club access pass is much higher to an Explorist vs a Globalist.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:07 am

Lounge closures aren’t disproportionately affecting Explorists, club access passes are.

Globalists get lounge access as a factor of status. Explorists need to use club access passes. The only use of club access passes for a Globalist is to use it for another room at the same property for the same nights the Globalist is staying there. That’s pretty niche. That’s why I’m saying the value of a club access pass is much higher to an Explorist vs a Globalist.
In normal times, yes. These days, no. The average Globalist is losing a lot more from lounge closures than the average Explorist and isn't separately being compensated for said closures. It's ludicrous that Globalists would receive 80% lower compensation for the club passes. If Globalists were already being given X points per night for lounge closures, it would be a different story.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hyatt is just going cheap on the value it wants to provide Globalists from converting the expiring club passes.

Given that most multi-year Globalists don't use most or any club access awards, Hyatt probably thinks they don't have a lot of value to most such Globalists and thus why give more value for the conversion for Globalists than for those who may value the awards higher: the Explorists.

They had been very valuable for many Globalists too, before Covid-19 changed the lounge and travel situation. For example, Globalists traveling in such a way as to need multiple rooms for family and/or friends on trips where they want to be able to use the lounges together.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 27, 2021 at 11:17 am
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:30 am

Just adding my point of data. Did the app chat this AM, and after 30-45 mins wait they gave me 3k points for each of the 4 expiring club access awards. They also gave me 20k for my expiring CAT 1-7 certificate. Given that some of the places I want to book are now 35k during peak season I was hoping for an extension lol, but I guess better than nothing.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 2:19 pm

Was able to get 10K for an expiring cert under Explorist. My husband is Discoverist and two reps said no so far. Still working on his. Any update from Discoverist accounts on expiring Chase 1-4 cat certificates?
Old Dec 27, 2021, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Keep trying!

Used chat on Christmas and was offered 500–declined. Called globalist line today and offered 500 again—declined again. Chatted again this evening and asked upfront for 3k and no problem. 21k points already added to my account.

keep trying and just ask for the 3k!!
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 3:08 pm

Just called and was provided 10,000 points each for 2 expiring 1-4 free night certificates (1 was credit card and 1 was milestone award earned in 2019). I was only provided 1,000 points for each expiring club access award as an Explorist. I mentioned that I read online others receiving 3,000 points and the agent explained that the amount provided is evaluated/based on the individual member and they cannot comment on what was provided to other members. Was told the same when I tried to get the difference to 3,000 points via chat for the club access awards.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
For those thinking of trying to double dip, three days after I sent a Twitter DM to HyattConcierge, I got a reply apologizing for the delay due to the overwhelmingly large number of messages they are getting, but that she sees that the account has already been credited with the points.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
When it comes to exchanging the Club Access awards for Hyatt points, many reps default to saying they can only convert them for 500 points each. They do credit the points before they even manage to pull the awards that are supposed to be pulled to do the exchange. Something to keep in mind in case there is a mistake involved.

Given how long the hold times are to even get a rep, 500 points for an expiring award can seem even poorer value than if it was achieved more quickly and reliably.
hotelfanatic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.