FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Certificates Are Being Extended?
View Single Post
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:43 am
Stgermainparis

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by manu08
I just got off the phone with the Globalist support line after 1.5 hours (mostly on hold as they escalated me up the chain a bit). I have a cat 1-4 expiring Jan 4th 2022, and I was surprised since I had used some 1-4 certs earlier this year that has expirations later in 2022. I had done a lot of re-booking like everyone else due to Covid, and I'm sure the Jan 4th cert was held up while I used the others, then I cancelled the reservation that had the Jan 4th cert and thus ended up in a silly situation where my fastest expiring cert was available and all the other ones were used.

In any case, I thought this would be a fairly simple situation, please just extend the expiration date of the remaining cert which is was obviously the intent. Haha, how wrong I was. The amount of energy they spent explaining that I need to babysit the reservations to avoid this sort of technical slip was surprising. We ended in an infinite loop where they explained how their system works and the sequence that allowed it to happen, and I explained that I get it but it seems reasonable for them to act as-if the certs had been used in the order that'd benefit the customer (me) who earned them.

Anywho, I decided to blow this cert on a mini staycation (which I told them I was going to do if they didn't fix it), so Hyatt doesn't save any money anyway.

And finally I searched this site to decide where to post my rant and it seems like I should've just swung at hyatt on twitter who might've given me points? Oy vey. I'll keep that in mind for 2023 when I'll likely have a bunch of other rewards expiring.
Something similar happened to me. Slightly more complicated and Hyatt’s fault though. I got a case number and they said to contact when it expired if I still hadn’t been able to use it. Just sent a DM via Twitter. We shall see if they honor the promise they made to give me 15k points.

UPDATE: via DM twitter. First reply gave 10k. Second reply gave 15k. I had to point out again what I was promised, given the Hyatt mixup that led to the expiring cert. but they came through on this one. Prior success with CAA was 500 per but ultimately raised to 1000 per. I was too tired to continue begging and pointing out the inequity. Glob lite, explorist the last few years.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jan 4, 2022 at 11:10 am