FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Certificates Are Being Extended?
View Single Post
Old Dec 31, 2021, 6:33 pm
js1993

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by manu08
I just got off the phone with the Globalist support line after 1.5 hours (mostly on hold as they escalated me up the chain a bit). I have a cat 1-4 expiring Jan 4th 2022, and I was surprised since I had used some 1-4 certs earlier this year that has expirations later in 2022. I had done a lot of re-booking like everyone else due to Covid, and I'm sure the Jan 4th cert was held up while I used the others, then I cancelled the reservation that had the Jan 4th cert and thus ended up in a silly situation where my fastest expiring cert was available and all the other ones were used.

In any case, I thought this would be a fairly simple situation, please just extend the expiration date of the remaining cert which is was obviously the intent. Haha, how wrong I was. The amount of energy they spent explaining that I need to babysit the reservations to avoid this sort of technical slip was surprising. We ended in an infinite loop where they explained how their system works and the sequence that allowed it to happen, and I explained that I get it but it seems reasonable for them to act as-if the certs had been used in the order that'd benefit the customer (me) who earned them.

Anywho, I decided to blow this cert on a mini staycation (which I told them I was going to do if they didn't fix it), so Hyatt doesn't save any money anyway.

And finally I searched this site to decide where to post my rant and it seems like I should've just swung at hyatt on twitter who might've given me points? Oy vey. I'll keep that in mind for 2023 when I'll likely have a bunch of other rewards expiring.
This has been a problem for years. Similarly, the system will also pull a Cat 1-7 award instead of a Cat 1-4 at times.

That said, why did you burn the cert instead of let it expire and take the 10,000 points?

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I don't understand the complaining here about wait times and free night certificate or TSU extensions, especially from those folks who were able and did travel throughout 2021 but didn't use them.

I see many folks here who posted reviews this year in Hyatts who complain about TSU or free night certificates. Why didn't you use them befoee if you could?

For those who couldn't use, I understand better the frustration but Hyatt is generally making people whole.

Wait times? When millions of Americans have caught covid in last month, Christmas time... Whst do people expect?

Hyatt in past week had made me far more loyal than less. I don't grt the vitriol. I could've used a TSU but didn't and Hyatt extended for a tear. Thank you
I haven't seen any "vitriol" in this thread. Just a lot of people accurately pointing out how ridiculous and needlessly time-consuming Hyatt's handling of this has been.