Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2021, 10:17 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Sneak preview below of a finished standard-level room and accompanying bathroom at what will be Thompson New York - Central Park. Looks like your usual Thompson fare with lots of browns, and thankfully not a lot of black so it looks light and airy relative to the somberness of, to single a property out, Thompson Austin.

It's nice, clean work, and a colossal step up from the former Parker - that grey and light wood design scheme was WAY past its sell-by date. Glad to see that the new owners aren't as stingy as the previous lot.

khabah

Boraxo, TravisMT81 and WasKnown like this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 11:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Thank you for sharing! I would have liked a lighter color bathroom.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I have so many mixed emotions about this.

I feel like the Parker Meridien was iconic in it’s so obviously dated design. It almost felt cool to be there in a certain way.

However, I understand why we need to move on and I think a renovation that modernized ultimately does make sense.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 6:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
This is good news. There are no Thompsons in Asia so I'd like to try and get on brand expmorer. I like the location and stayed often when Le Meriden and then when it was Leading Hotels. Rooms were also so-so but the location is good.

The reviews of PH concern me combined w high prices, so I'll probably steer away from PH even though 80% of my Hyatt stays are at PHs and take Thompson if the price is more reasonable than PH
Old Jul 10, 2021, 6:46 pm

Looks awesome, can't wait to stay there!
Old Jul 10, 2021, 6:51 pm

What category will the new hotel be? 5? 6?
Old Jul 10, 2021, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfabar1
What category will the new hotel be? 5? 6?
I'm sure it will be either 6 or 7. The only FS Hyatts in Manhattan below 6 are Gild Hall and 50 Bowery.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by khabah
Sneak preview below of a finished standard-level room and accompanying bathroom at what will be Thompson New York - Central Park. Looks like your usual Thompson fare with lots of browns, and thankfully not a lot of black so it looks light and airy relative to the somberness of, to single a property out, Thompson Austin.

It's nice, clean work, and a colossal step up from the former Parker - that grey and light wood design scheme was WAY past its sell-by date. Glad to see that the new owners aren't as stingy as the previous lot.

khabah

Wow that room looks miserably cramped. Usually the hotel photos are taken to make the rooms look bigger, but even these shots can't hide the fact that the tv fixture is right in front of the bed and the shower is arms length from the sink.

Seeing as the Thompson Dallas is a category 6, I would be shocked if this will be anything less than a category 7. If I'm going to choose a cat 7 near central park, i'll be using my points at the Park Hyatt no questions asked.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
It's Manhattan. And there's a couch in the room you can actually sit at. And you're steps from Central Park. And the sink has an actual place to leave a toothbrush and deodorant.

This room looks huge compared to much of what's for sale in Manhattan.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm sure it will be either 6 or 7. The only FS Hyatts in Manhattan below 6 are Gild Hall and 50 Bowery.
I know you don't like them - and with their current rates, it's better to pay cash - but these FS NYC hotels are cat5:
  • Andaz Wall Street
  • Grand Hyatt
  • Hyatt Herald Square
  • Park South (JdV)
  • HGU New York (SLH)
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:14 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PG.backpacker
I know you don't like them - and with their current rates, it's better to pay cash - but these FS NYC hotels are cat5:
  • Andaz Wall Street
  • Grand Hyatt
  • Hyatt Herald Square
  • Park South (JdV)
  • HGU New York (SLH)
Thanks for the correction. I haven't tried Park South or HGU. You're right, I hated Grand Hyatt, Andaz Wall Street has lots of problems, and Herald Square is an HP in disguise
pWei likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 5:05 pm

Short of moving PH NY to a category 8, it seems to me they’re likely o make this a category 6?
Old Jul 20, 2021, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I was looking to book a night on points while it’s still a Cat5. It looks like the opening date has now been pushed to 11/1 (slight change from 10/31) and there’s still no points inventory loaded even though the standard rooms are available.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
there’s still no points inventory loaded even though the standard rooms are available.
Hyatt properties aren't required to release award inventory until they open.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Hyatt properties aren't required to release award inventory until they open.
Although most of the higher profile properties that (re)open do release award availability prior to opening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.