Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by Kacee
Surprising. Which Hyatt brand is this under?

Owners, in addition to being caught in a blatant fraud, also refused to renovate to meet SPG/Marriott brand standards. Personally I would not consider it.
Seems the hotel was sold by Jack Parker to GFI Capital.

Parker Towers and Parker Hotel
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coggie
Seems the hotel was sold by Jack Parker to GFI Capital.

Parker Towers and Parker Hotel
Did they keep the same managers?

I kind of want to try the place but I may just call and ask outright how they handle stuff like this.

What is the globalist breakfast benefit? Which suites are designated as standard suites? These are questions that they should be able to answer.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I would avoid at all costs until they do a proper refurb. The hotel and furniture are dated, you can see scratches and wear and tear. Bathrooms are in poor shape and treatment of SPG platinums was terrible.

Super overpriced so avoid!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:10 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Got a nice indoor pool on the top floor with great views. But the service has always been pretty bad. Find the old SPG thread for some laughs
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:14 am

Sounds like this place WAS owned by some sort of cheapskate individual investor who just cashed out and sold off multiple properties, including this one...

Some recent TripAdvisor review responses indicate a renovation is coming.

Rwgardless, given the change in ownership to a traditional real estate investor company, I’d expect it to be run like any other Hyatt. One question we should ask... is it Hyatt Corporate managed or a franchise (as it obviously was during the SPG days)?

In my experience, corporate managed properties deliver more consistent service to Globslists, in particular....
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Sounds like this place WAS owned by some sort of cheapskate individual investor who just cashed out and sold off multiple properties, including this one...

Some recent TripAdvisor review responses indicate a renovation is coming.

Rwgardless, given the change in ownership to a traditional real estate investor company, I’d expect it to be run like any other Hyatt. One question we should ask... is it Hyatt Corporate managed or a franchise (as it obviously was during the SPG days)?

In my experience, corporate managed properties deliver more consistent service to Globslists, in particular....
Not for my experiences in Asia as a Globalist here. Hyatt obviously didn't buy this property so it should be another management agreement with the new owners.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Not for my experiences in Asia as a Globalist here. Hyatt obviously didn't buy this property so it should be another management agreement with the new owners.
There are three types of relationships Hyatt has with properties:
1. Owned (and managed) - a short/declining list...

2. Managed. Hyatt employees at the hotel operate it on behalf of ownership. Hundreds of properties.

3. Franchised. Someone else runs it to Hyatt standards. NOT Hyatt employees (even though they wear Hyatt nametags). The rest.

We dont know if the new ownership has selected option 2 or 3 above. My understanding is many many Asian properties are Managed.

Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
For dates after April 1, I couldn't find any rates that weren't set exact to 760 (advanced purchase rate). For earlier dates, seems to be trying to price -mostly- around Andaz 5th prices (though the +- is $300).

I am doubtful that any of this is a good indicator thus far of the pricing.

Count me naive perhaps, but I am interested. Previous issues aside, there is new ownership, maybe new management and a possible renovation, all of which can mean previous issues are moot. I have no plans of returning to NYC for the next year (maybe two), so I can wait to see how this plays out.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
The Parker is set to be completely remodeled and will become the flagship hotel for Hyatt’s Thompson brand: https://rew-online.com/parker-new-yo...ades-for-420m/
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by bcosinteno
The Parker is set to be completely remodeled and will become the flagship hotel for Hyatt’s Thompson brand: https://rew-online.com/parker-new-yo...ades-for-420m/
Sounds like it is going to be Hyatt-Managed and NOT a franchise. That's a good thing for Globalist treatment... With construction, I think there could be some very good deals at this hotel over the next year or so.... Older but clean and (relatively) cheap in that neighborhood with a pool on the roof? Good upgrades? Count me in!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:57 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Many (perhaps 20?) years ago, Norma's restaurant in Parker Le Meridien was awesome for breakfast. Among the best in NYC. I wonder if the Globalist breakfast at this property will be remarkable? Well, for $760 a night, it needs to be remarkable!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What are Thompson Hotels? Will Hyatt treat it as a separate brand, perhaps with its own rules and brand standards?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What are Thompson Hotels? Will Hyatt treat it as a separate brand, perhaps with its own rules and brand standards?
Thompson Hotels

Includes the Beekman in NYC, which is a really nice property, if a bit too twenty-something party-central for my tastes.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver
I DM'd Hyatt Concierge since I was thinking about staying here next month. They confirmed that it is for now a Hyatt affiliated hotel at which one can earn and redeem points but no globalist benes to speak of - and that it will be a hyatt brand in the future. Also, even globalists will be charged the destination fee - per what they messaged me - no breakfast benes as of now.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by travelerp
I DM'd Hyatt Concierge since I was thinking about staying here next month. They confirmed that it is for now a Hyatt affiliated hotel at which one can earn and redeem points but no globalist benes to speak of - and that it will be a hyatt brand in the future. Also, even globalists will be charged the destination fee - per what they messaged me - no breakfast benes as of now.
I'm skeptical that this is right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.