Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Booked a high floor suite, room looked like it hadn't been touched since the 90s. poorly placed/inefficient outlets, no minibar, highest in-room breakfast pricing/delivery fee I've encountered,. Endless ringing of phone very audible from next room (or facility closet?) over. Noisy HVAC. That will be my first and last stay at this dump.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Booked a high floor suite, room looked like it hadn't been touched since the 90s. poorly placed/inefficient outlets, no minibar, highest in-room breakfast pricing/delivery fee I've encountered,. Endless ringing of phone very audible from next room (or facility closet?) over. Noisy HVAC. That will be my first and last stay at this dump.
Was the breakfast from Norma's? And were there restrictions?
Old Dec 21, 2019, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by parrotheadmjb
Was the breakfast from Norma's? And were there restrictions?
Don't know. Not sure what you mean by restrictions. Despite racking up 60k points since starting with hyatt in October, I'm still a lowly explorist.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Don't know. Not sure what you mean by restrictions. Despite racking up 60k points since starting with hyatt in October, I'm still a lowly explorist.
Restrictions on breakfast quantity for Globalists as 1 entree, 1 juice and 1 coffee only. Some properties woll allow to your heart's contentment and others strictly follow the TCs. Use the Chase CC card if you're eligible to make the quest to globalist easier.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Restrictions on breakfast quantity for Globalists as 1 entree, 1 juice and 1 coffee only. Some properties woll allow to your heart's contentment and others strictly follow the TCs. Use the Chase CC card if you're eligible to make the quest to globalist easier.
yeah look my path to globalist notwithstanding, the expense is the worst I've seen in new york for an average at best meal.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yeah look my path to globalist notwithstanding, the expense is the worst I've seen in new york for an average at best meal.
The hotel hardware itself sounds terrible too. Not a good value proposition.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
The hotel hardware itself sounds terrible too. Not a good value proposition.
At the end of the day, this is probably the most important point - the hard product is just bad, and they'd have to materially outperform on a wide array of dimensions to counterbalance that... which they definitely do not.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 10:42 am

Well at 132 a night in March after taxes and fees should I ditch this hotel or stay here. I'm a globalist and probably won't be in the room too much during the stay. I thought about using points at Gild Hall but the Parker is a 4 minute walk from a convention.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:15 pm

Well at 132 a night in March after taxes and fees should I ditch this hotel or stay here. I'm a globalist and probably won't be in the room too much during the stay. I thought about using points at Gild Hall but the Parker is a 4 minute walk from a convention.
That includes the nonsense "destination fee"? Not high season but still a killer rate for location particularly if you're not expecting much other than a bed.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4 mins walk beats the train.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:57 am

That includes the nonsense "destination fee"? Not high season but still a killer rate for location particularly if you're not expecting much other than a bed.
Not including the destination fee, but I won't have to pay it since I'm a globalist. They can try to but I'll eventually win lol.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Wow, this might be the most confusing set of WiFi options I've seen at a domestic hotel. There's complimentary and then a paid option that is lower speed.... And the wifi included for elite guest is not the "premium" option that it's supposed to be.

Parker New York WiFi
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, incredibly complex.

Free Premium at 15 mbps is not terrible though. My last two Hyatts it was more in the 8 mbps range.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:40 pm

I agree -- totally confusing and I think elite guests (or at least Globalists) are supposed to get the fastest wifi available. In the past when I picked the Premium Wifi for $30.99 I got the hotel to waive it at checkout but usually I pick the free option because then there's no risk of getting charged.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Checked in today and used my suite upgrade and have the Central Park suite. As others have described it’s definitely like stepping back to the late 90s/early 2000s with room decor but honestly it’s not that bad. Got a $133 rate so no complaints!
A few data points :
-globalist breakfast is for 2 at Normas. I confirmed with 2 front desk folks you order and just sign your bill no set limit
-the pool is closed and won’t reopen. They are building condos on the top few levels
-they are about to start a complete renovation and after it’s done it will become a Thompson brand. No timeline yet

It’s sure not the Andaz but it’s not as bad as some described. I would come back for any rate under $250 again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.