Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:31 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Not perfect, but honestly, I really enjoyed my stay.

The hotel itself only goes up to the 22nd floor, but I was able to get what I think is a Standard King on the 21st floor. I asked about upgrades as there were Studio Suites for sale online, but the FDA said there weren't any available. I didn't push due to the hotel's obvious soft opening status and the fact that I was checking in on a Sunday. What I will say is that my 21st floor standard king had a very nice view of Central Park and One57 (and a lot of the Le Meridien - lol). I was also a big fan of the large couch that spanned the entire width of the room next to the window. This was probably one of the biggest pieces of furniture I've ever seen in NYC :-)

I loved the bed here - Thompson beds really tickle my fancy, I've found. The bathroom is small, and I'm not a fan of the half-glass without a door on the shower. However, I did appreciate the pressure in the shower, and I found that the water spillage was not that horrible. The overall aesthetics of the room were very nice, in my opinion - although, the lack of a desk was a bit annoying since there was room on the non-window side of the bed.

Room service breakfast was very fast and very tasty. The room service menu was more extensive than the bar breakfast menu.

Hallway noise was definitely noticeable during the day (i.e. housekeepers), but this isn't the first place I've stayed at with this problem. I noticed, while I was in the PHNY fitness center, that many of the top floors of the building still look completely gutted, so I imagine that construction will be ongoing for a while.

Overall, this is definitely a soft opening phase for the property with some missed details, and this is no Park Hyatt. However, I think this could be a very nice option for a modern hotel in a nice NYC location. It's definitely comfortable :-)
Can you share what you like about the bed? I called about the beds when considering a stay at their Dallas property and was told the beds are extremely firm.I canceled my booking
Thanks
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Can you share what you like about the bed? I called about the beds when considering a stay at their Dallas property and was told the beds are extremely firm.I canceled my booking
Thanks
Absolutely - let me start by saying that my most important factor for a good bed is thick covers - Thompsons have those in spades. As for the mattresses, they are firm but still cushioned (you don't feel springs). I've always found that I sleep well at Thompsons. Great, thick covers and large, non-lumpy pillows make for a great sleep. I've stayed at the Dallas property several times, and I definitely would say they're firm, but "extremely firm" seems like an exaggeration on the part of hotel staff. They aren't the Ritz-Carlton beds, but they are consistent and provide good sleep for me.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 12:42 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Absolutely - let me start by saying that my most important factor for a good bed is thick covers - Thompsons have those in spades. As for the mattresses, they are firm but still cushioned (you don't feel springs). I've always found that I sleep well at Thompson. Great, thick covers and large, non-lumpy pillows make for a great sleep. I've stayed at the Dallas property several times, and I definitely would say they're firm, but "extremely firm" seems like an exaggeration on the part of hotel staff. They aren't the Ritz-Carlton beds, but they are consistent and provide good sleep for me.
You are discerning and know your beds so greatly appreciated.
I can't tell you how many times I read a blog or review frustrated and all the reviewer can say about anything is that something was great
with no description of why and the beds were amazing comfy
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
You are discerning and know your beds so greatly appreciated.
I can't tell you how many times I read a blog or review frustrated and all the reviewer can say about anything is that something was great
with no description of why and the beds were amazing comfy
Thanks for the kind words - I have slept in some bad beds, but Thompsons aren't those. Firm is way too harsh - we should call them "supportive" :-)
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The Thompson fka Parker Meridien is a sentimental favorite and has never disappointed. The updates look great and the option for Globalist room service breakfast is a major plus (as was the case at Andaz 5th). Sorry to hear that the higher floors are gone as the street noise was always an annoyance. But this is true for much of Manhattan...
demue likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 8:50 am

I had my second stay here recently - I continue to see this as a great option.

Construction is in full swing - the lobby bar seemed to be shut for construction work, the third floor is still a mess, and there is a huge mass of netting on the exterior of the upper floors. Burger Joint was still open, though :-) Still, besides the rope swinging back and forth on my window, the construction didn't bother me in the room (couldn't hear it).

Unlike last time, I was upgraded in app to a Studio Suite. The Studio Suite is much better than the regular room for one reason - the bathroom. As the shower is much bigger, the water splashing on the floor situation is much better. One issue is that there still isn't a desk even in the much bigger room. There is only 1 TV, but it swivels very smoothly between the living room side and bedroom side. This is still one of the most comfortable Thompson beds I've experienced - wonderful pillows and thick covers.

Interestingly, it seems like many of the rooms on the 16th floor are Studio Suites (they face 56th, rather than Central Park, though).

Noise isolation with the hallway and connecting room is still pretty bad. I would consider a white noise solution if you are sensitive.

Service is great - John at the front desk checked me in, just like last time, and introduced me to the manager on duty. He also called up to check on how I liked the Studio Suite.

Breakfast is still through room service and is very tasty. Service was also quite quick - they quoted me 30 minutes, but it actually took about 15 minutes. Real plates and silverware, like last time.

I would definitely continue coming back here.

Boraxo, lsquare and EmeraldLady like this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I had my second stay here recently - I continue to see this as a great option.

Construction is in full swing - the lobby bar seemed to be shut for construction work, the third floor is still a mess, and there is a huge mass of netting on the exterior of the upper floors. Burger Joint was still open, though :-) Still, besides the rope swinging back and forth on my window, the construction didn't bother me in the room (couldn't hear it).

Unlike last time, I was upgraded in app to a Studio Suite. The Studio Suite is much better than the regular room for one reason - the bathroom. As the shower is much bigger, the water splashing on the floor situation is much better. One issue is that there still isn't a desk even in the much bigger room. There is only 1 TV, but it swivels very smoothly between the living room side and bedroom side. This is still one of the most comfortable Thompson beds I've experienced - wonderful pillows and thick covers.

Interestingly, it seems like many of the rooms on the 16th floor are Studio Suites (they face 56th, rather than Central Park, though).

Noise isolation with the hallway and connecting room is still pretty bad. I would consider a white noise solution if you are sensitive.

Service is great - John at the front desk checked me in, just like last time, and introduced me to the manager on duty. He also called up to check on how I liked the Studio Suite.

Breakfast is still through room service and is very tasty. Service was also quite quick - they quoted me 30 minutes, but it actually took about 15 minutes. Real plates and silverware, like last time.

I would definitely continue coming back here.
With Gild Hall moving to Cat 5 then this does become a more attractive option for points stays. I still find the cash rates to be unappealing vs 50 Bowery and the Centrics.

Last edited by coleslaw; Mar 8, 2022 at 11:23 am
Old Mar 8, 2022, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
With Gild Hall moving to Cat 5 then this does before a more attractive option for points stays. I still find the cash rates to be unappealing vs 50 Bowery and the Centrics.
Frankly, with Centric 39th and Centric Wall Street offering restaurant breakfast now, I would agree on those being more attractive for cash (although I haven't tried either breakfast yet). Unfortunately, as Gild Hall moves to Cat 5, this Thompson is moving to Cat 6.

One other negative - the internet here is very shoddy with constant need to re-connect via the Captive portal. Aggravating for video calls, and cell service seems poor for hotspotting - not the best place for working.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Frankly, with Centric 39th and Centric Wall Street offering restaurant breakfast now, I would agree on those being more attractive for cash (although I haven't tried either breakfast yet). Unfortunately, as Gild Hall moves to Cat 5, this Thompson is moving to Cat 6.

One other negative - the internet here is very shoddy with constant need to re-connect via the Captive portal. Aggravating for video calls, and cell service seems poor for hotspotting - not the best place for working.
Lack of a desk, unreliable WiFi and poor cell service would be a major dealbreaker for me.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Lack of a desk, unreliable WiFi and poor cell service would be a major dealbreaker for me.
After what I've read in this thread, I would not even consider this property.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
After what I've read in this thread, I would not even consider this property.
Frankly, while I definitely enjoy the beds (still my favorite Thompson bed), breakfast, and friendly service, I think many would not enjoy the property currently due to some of these issues. They are less bothersome to me, and the property has been a great deal on points as a Cat 5. For the cash prices, I would prefer the Andaz 5th Avenue (where the beds are even better).
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:27 am

Programs: MR, CUR, Globalist, Platinum
any recent stays here? i have a booking coming up first week of may maybe i jumped the gun wanting to see this property too soon.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by relidtm
any recent stays here? i have a booking coming up first week of may maybe i jumped the gun wanting to see this property too soon.
Scroll up a few posts to see a stay report and photos from a couple of weeks ago.
DELee and relidtm like this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:56 pm

Stayed here over the weekend on points, was an excellent stay and better than I expected. I had a GoH stay and we drove so I left the car with the valet who told us we could ask for our car whenever we wanted (didn't make use of this). Originally they kept the double bed res I made since no suites have a double but when I asked for a studio suite and said I'm fine with a pull out they changed the room right away.

The lobby looked fine. I liked the elevator pads where you select a floor on a touch screen. The studio suite was great, the pull out was one of the better hotel pull outs tbh. (We had 3 ppl). Ordered breakfast each morning which was no problem, they even included a 3rd mug and tea without prompting. It always came in <30 min. The bagel and lox was our favorite.

The construction noise across the street starts at about 8am but it wasnt a big deal for us as we're already up. The subway access is good, and they can call a cab very quickly.

Check out was a breeze, all the staff were very friendly, would definitely return.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 11:14 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Does anyone know if the owners are the same as the Parker meridian people?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.