FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1952605-thompson-central-park-new-york-review-master-thread.html)

Dsnow0819 Jan 23, 2019 12:36 pm

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

I was checking out hotels for February in NYC and found this one. Is this new? Never stayed there before, but the Burger Joint is great and the location is pretty good.

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ne...new-york/lgatp

I ended up booking the Grand Hyatt - hard to beat $144 a night - but I'm always down for a new NYC option.

59Impala Jan 23, 2019 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dsnow0819 (Post 30691544)
I was checking out hotels for February in NYC and found this one. Is this new? Never stayed there before, but the Burger Joint is great and the location is pretty good.

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ne...new-york/lgatp

I ended up booking the Grand Hyatt - hard to beat $144 a night - but I'm always down for a new NYC option.

interesting... never heard of it. Never saw an announcement... must be very new. Web page extremely basic. No real description of the rooms....And another option for the 5 brands free night award. There are not many pure “Hyatt” branded hotels.

thanks for sharing.

SeeTheLights Jan 23, 2019 1:38 pm

This was the old Parker Le Meridien SPG/Marriott hotel. It is a good option and nice to be part of the Hyatt family now.

VegasGambler Jan 23, 2019 1:38 pm

Looks interesting. I'll give it a try the next time I'm in NY. I was not too impressed with the GH last time. I'm still looking for a go-to hotel in NY.

They don't even seem to have a category yet (at least, it doesn't show up on the app). Must be a new addition to Hyatt?

dw Jan 23, 2019 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by SeeTheLights (Post 30691807)
This was the old Parker Le Meridien SPG/Marriott hotel. It is a good option and nice to be part of the Hyatt family now.

I seem to recall this being one of the first SPG properties in NYC to implement a resort charge/destination fee... and one of the properties that SPG sued over alleged fraud with its award reimbursements.

skj Jan 23, 2019 2:15 pm

I just looked at this property for a stay in July. The Parker was more than 4 times as much as the GH - $680 vs $160 ! The PH was less than the Parker, at "only" $635 ...

SNA_Flyer Jan 23, 2019 2:28 pm

This is the hotel that got caught by SPG claiming higher occupancy levels than they really had to get higher reimbursement from award reservations.

They also famously had the worst comp breakfast for Platinums, offering only a coffee and croissant from their coffee bar. Didin't allow anything from their restaurant.

So it will be interesting to see what they try to do for the Globalist Breakfast benefit.

josephstern Jan 23, 2019 3:27 pm

This was related to the Parker Palm Springs, right?

I wish that one would go Hyatt . . .

craigthemif Jan 23, 2019 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer (Post 30691998)
This is the hotel that got caught by SPG claiming higher occupancy levels than they really had to get higher reimbursement from award reservations.

They also famously had the worst comp breakfast for Platinums, offering only a coffee and croissant from their coffee bar. Didin't allow anything from their restaurant.

So it will be interesting to see what they try to do for the Globalist Breakfast benefit.

Yep. I have no interest at all in seeing how poorly they intend to treat elites...

jameswes Jan 23, 2019 3:39 pm

Definitely interesting. But yeah, those rates are really high. Would definitely be interesting to see the category, and which suites are standard.

VegasGambler Jan 23, 2019 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by jameswes (Post 30692225)
Definitely interesting. But yeah, those rates are really high. Would definitely be interesting to see the category, and which suites are standard.

I searched for dates next month (Feb 19-26, chosen randomly) and I saw $228, which is not bad at all by NYC standards. The GH was $152 though so I guess it's a slow time. Then again the Andaz 5th Av was $350, so without knowing how this place stacks up relative to the other hotels, it's hard to say if this is "expensive" or not.

Kacee Jan 23, 2019 4:37 pm

Surprising. Which Hyatt brand is this under?

Owners, in addition to being caught in a blatant fraud, also refused to renovate to meet SPG/Marriott brand standards. Personally I would not consider it.

MSPeconomist Jan 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30692438)

Owners, in addition to being caught in a blatant fraud, also refused to renovate to meet SPG/Marriott brand standards. Personally I would not consider it.

Or there were other considerations. This is being discussed today in the Starriott forum threads about SPG properties leaving Marriott.

TerryK Jan 23, 2019 5:29 pm

Interesting re-flag. This is practically across the street from Park Hyatt.

VegasGambler Jan 23, 2019 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30692438)

I believe it's just "Hyatt" (which is a brand that I don't have in brand explorer yet -- it would get me to 10. I'm missing Miraval, Hyatt, Zilara, and HRC).

At least, that's what it says in the app.