Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2021, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by britinva79
What is it with designers not putting doors on the showers? More and more I see that in hotels and with no door you can’t build up the steam in the shower and the heat will escape.
Modern hotel bathrooms… it’s like they’re going out of their way to make it annoying / inconvenient / awkward.

- sliding doors that don’t fully close
- frosted glass windows / doors that let light into the room when the bathroom light is turned on
- partial shutters on windows from
the bathroom / shower room into the bedroom, impossible to have any privacy
- showers that don’t have doors

Absolutely no excuse.
adambadam likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:52 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Not perfect, but honestly, I really enjoyed my stay.

The hotel itself only goes up to the 22nd floor, but I was able to get what I think is a Standard King on the 21st floor. I asked about upgrades as there were Studio Suites for sale online, but the FDA said there weren't any available. I didn't push due to the hotel's obvious soft opening status and the fact that I was checking in on a Sunday. What I will say is that my 21st floor standard king had a very nice view of Central Park and One57 (and a lot of the Le Meridien - lol). I was also a big fan of the large couch that spanned the entire width of the room next to the window. This was probably one of the biggest pieces of furniture I've ever seen in NYC :-)

I loved the bed here - Thompson beds really tickle my fancy, I've found. The bathroom is small, and I'm not a fan of the half-glass without a door on the shower. However, I did appreciate the pressure in the shower, and I found that the water spillage was not that horrible. The overall aesthetics of the room were very nice, in my opinion - although, the lack of a desk was a bit annoying since there was room on the non-window side of the bed.

Room service breakfast was very fast and very tasty. The room service menu was more extensive than the bar breakfast menu.

Hallway noise was definitely noticeable during the day (i.e. housekeepers), but this isn't the first place I've stayed at with this problem. I noticed, while I was in the PHNY fitness center, that many of the top floors of the building still look completely gutted, so I imagine that construction will be ongoing for a while.

Overall, this is definitely a soft opening phase for the property with some missed details, and this is no Park Hyatt. However, I think this could be a very nice option for a modern hotel in a nice NYC location. It's definitely comfortable :-)
Boraxo likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Modern hotel bathrooms… it’s like they’re going out of their way to make it annoying / inconvenient / awkward.

- sliding doors that don’t fully close
- frosted glass windows / doors that let light into the room when the bathroom light is turned on
- partial shutters on windows from
the bathroom / shower room into the bedroom, impossible to have any privacy
- showers that don’t have doors

Absolutely no excuse.
I hate to go to far OT here, but this is definitely something I dislike also. And I see this increasingly in residential architecture too, actually, especially spec houses.

I think it also has to do with price and maintenance costs. Not having a moving door means less that can break, and not having an enclosed steamy space cuts down on the likelihood of mold problems.

We used to joke about the half-showers that we always saw in Italian hotels, but now it's here too, and, as I mentioned, in houses also.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 7:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by josephstern
I hate to go to far OT here, but this is definitely something I dislike also. And I see this increasingly in residential architecture too, actually, especially spec houses.

I think it also has to do with price and maintenance costs. Not having a moving door means less that can break, and not having an enclosed steamy space cuts down on the likelihood of mold problems.

We used to joke about the half-showers that we always saw in Italian hotels, but now it's here too, and, as I mentioned, in houses also.
Sounds like something that looks good on paper, but not in practice.
Water spilling everywhere - more chance of water ponding, possibly leaking down. More chance of slips, and oh, hotel was negligent in not providing door.
Not building up steam - we all know some will leave hot water on for half an hour to fix this problem by filling steam in the entire bathroom.
No desk - early check out.

And here I thought Thompsons had standards.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 1:42 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Checked into a studio suite last night on the 19th floor. Very nice room, and shows no signs of prior guest use.

Front desk claims the Tier Suite Upgrade and Globalist day of upgrade on availability book only into the deluxe rooms with more space, rather than the studio suite.

Used the valet parking -- we were disappointed it did not include in/out privileges and is for a strict <24 hour period (I understand now that this is typical for NYC hotels that need to use paid garages).

Front desk commented that they are anxious for the full lobby to open, currently they are using about 1/4 of the final space with the rest blocked off for final construction.
​​​​​​

Last edited by expert7700; Dec 5, 2021 at 1:50 am
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by expert7700
Checked into a studio suite last night on the 19th floor. Very nice room, and shows no signs of prior guest use.

Front desk claims the Tier Suite Upgrade and Globalist day of upgrade on availability book only into the deluxe rooms with more space, rather than the studio suite.

Used the valet parking -- we were disappointed it did not include in/out privileges and is for a strict <24 hour period (I understand now that this is typical for NYC hotels that need to use paid garages).

Front desk commented that they are anxious for the full lobby to open, currently they are using about 1/4 of the final space with the rest blocked off for final construction.
​​​​​​
That's a shame if the front desk's claim about TSUs is true - they're basically copying what Park Hyatt New York does, but I don't see how they can even get away with this based on terminology (how does a deluxe room equate to a "suite"). I was mildly tempted to try out the Thompson over PHNY because of the similar location and new renovation, but not anymore if this holds true...
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by expert7700
​​​​​​
Sounds like a game to me. Surely the hotel could strike whatever deal it needed with a parking garage to satisfy Hyatt's rules. Sounds like, if you checked in at 3pm, took your car out for the evening at 6pm for a couple hours, took it out again at 10am for a couple hours, and then checked out at 4pm, they'd charge you for three "days" of valet parking. So be it, but that should still all be comped for a Glob on an award stay.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 9:59 am

Thanks for the review! Do you remember what room this is? Is this considered a Junior Suite? Have a stay planned in the next few months.

Originally Posted by shaker58
Had a enjoyable stay last weekend. During check in asked for upgrade and manager came out and found the largest room available for us. It was remodeled very nicely. The construction cleanup could've been better by the windows otherwise room was great. Awesome hoody robes were available to lounge around in room. Breakfast was served in room. What a treat after getting butler breakfast at many of the Hyatt's in Nyc. The French toast and Zucker bagels with lox were delicious. Dogs are allowed but they charge 50.00 per stay were most Thompson's don't charge dog fee.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 8:10 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
The Upper Stories hotel-within-a-hotel are now featured on the hotel's website, with room descriptions that appear to be the same rooms as in the rest of the hotel albeit with access to a special lounge called the Resident's Lounge.

A long shot, but would Globalists get automatic access to the Resident's Lounge as per WoH T&Cs where they get lounge access if a lounge is offered on-property? The Upper Stories isn't marketed as a separate hotel, so it makes me wonder.

khabah
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Am I paranoid or did they do this just to get out from under the thumb of Hyatt's elite program?
Old Jan 21, 2022, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Twitter concierge said that this hotel does not accept TSUs period, but nowhere in the WoH T&Cs does it state that the hotel is ineligible for TSUs or suite award redemptions. If this is indeed true, major .
Old Jan 22, 2022, 6:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton
I just tried to use a suite upgrade and was told that suite upgrades are only available for participating hotels, and the Thompson New York is not participating. I don't understand how Hyatt allows this. The Globalist benefits are useless if individual hotels can just decide not to participate.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jrlitt
I just tried to use a suite upgrade and was told that suite upgrades are only available for participating hotels, and the Thompson New York is not participating. I don't understand how Hyatt allows this. The Globalist benefits are useless if individual hotels can just decide not to participate.
There has always been a small list of hotels that don't participate in TSUs or suite award nights. The list consists of hotels with no or very few accommodations that could be reasonably classified as a standard suite (e.g., Andaz Tokyo, Hyatt Paris Madeleine) and/or hotels where Hyatt corporate and/or the hotel think they can get away with it.

My main issue is that Thompson Central Park is not on the list of non-participating hotels. Your main concern is that any hotel, including the ones above, can "opt out." Both are valid, but the latter should fall under a broader discussion about the TSU benefit and overall WoH program. As I said, individual hotels have always been able to opt out, but I can certainly see why some people would be frustrated at a growing number of high-end properties doing so, including three Thompson hotels (Seattle and Hollywood are the other two).
Old Jan 23, 2022, 1:12 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by jrlitt
these are theT&C. I however do not see this Thompson on the list. So I would HUCA.

Suite Free Night Awards are valid for accommodations in the room category immediately above standard room unless another class of room is expressly specified in connection with the applicable award. No Suite Free Night Award is valid at Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa, Park Hyatt Sydney, Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills, Hyatt Regency Kyoto, Hyatt Regency Wichita, Hyatt Paris Madeleine, Hyatt Herald Square New York, Hyatt Key West Resort and Spa, Hyatt City of Dreams Manila, Hyatt Centric South Beach Miami, Spirit Ridge at NK’MIP Resort, Hyatt Rosemont, Hyatt Regency Suites Atlanta Northwest, Hyatt Regency Lisle near Naperville, Hyatt Regency John Wayne Airport Newport Beach, Thompson Seattle, Thompson Hollywood, Chicago Athletic Association, The Talbott, Hotel Revival Baltimore, Hotel Avatar, Waterfront Hotel, Park South, The Laurel Inn, Hotel Kabuki, Alila Manggis, Studios at Alila Sminyak, Alila Villas Uluwatu, Ventana Campground, Caption by Hyatt, or Hyatt Place hotels or resorts or any Destination Residences property, except as otherwise expressly set forth in the Destination Residence Award Terms. (These properties are referred to collectively in these Terms as the “Suite Award Ineligible Properties.”) In addition, Suite Free Night Awards for Premium Suites are not valid at Hyatt Residence Club, Hyatt Ziva or Hyatt Zilara hotels and resorts or at any hotel and resort that does not have Premium Suites (even if such hotel or resort has Specialty, Premier, Presidential or Diplomatic Suite or similar suite categories). Suite Free Night Awards for Premium Suites may be booked only by contacting a Hyatt Global Contact Center.
Spoiler

Last edited by 59Impala; Jan 23, 2022 at 1:45 pm
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is the same property that got caught defrauding SPG on room rate reimbursements under prior ownership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.