Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2021, 2:32 pm

I found this as I was looking around online today.

https://www.traveldailynews.com/post...eadership-team

I booked a four night stay with points in late December. I'm not expecting luxury but the price is right considering even mediocre hotels are averaging at least $300/night during my dates.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:29 am

Has anyone stayed here yet? Curious to see first impressions as there isn’t a single review anywhere on Google, TripAdvisor etc.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Staying in 1.5 weeks. Looking forward to it - I already got a Globalist welcome letter, but the name it was addressed to was completely incorrect :-)
Old Nov 5, 2021, 7:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC
Staying this weekend hoping for great stay
Old Nov 6, 2021, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just completed a two night stay. I would say the place is alright. Certainly not exceptional, but a fine value given the price point especially on points. Refreshed rooms have given the place a more modern feel but still hard to shake the feeling you are in an older building that is a bit past its prime (the lower ceilings don’t help). As a globalist I didn’t receive any upgrade so was in base or something close to base category. Original room was very tiny and had no desk so asked to swap to someone that did have a work area. The property was able to find me a two bed base category room that did have a desk which was appreciated at the very least. While property was not busy so this wasn’t an issue I did notice that the noise insulation between rooms was pretty poor (I could hear someone raising their shades as I was packing up yesterday). Could imagine that being a big problem as it seems like even pedestrian noise levels travel quite far here. Globalist breakfast option includes ordering off room service menu. Food definitely not something I would be excited about having had it not been free but do they give them points for having an in room option as not all properties allow this and I find in room dining to be way more efficient. Service throughout the property was very good, friendly, and welcoming.

Overall totally fine property. I would come here again but not the kind of place you are going to get excited about / anticipate returning to just because of the hotel or the amenities. Certainly a big improvement from the Parker in its prior form.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 8:09 am

Thanks for the review! This is somewhat what I expected based on the pictures of the rooms and lack of amenities… I agree with you one of the issues is the low ceilings - no easy fix for that.

I am thinking I’ll cancel our stay here and suck it up and pay extra (points) for the PHNY as it’s a special occasion trip for us and we’re looking for a great hard product.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cmag211
Thanks for the review! This is somewhat what I expected based on the pictures of the rooms and lack of amenities… I agree with you one of the issues is the low ceilings - no easy fix for that.

I am thinking I’ll cancel our stay here and suck it up and pay extra (points) for the PHNY as it’s a special occasion trip for us and we’re looking for a great hard product.
PHNY certainly has that. Enjoy the excellent showers and Japanese washlet toilets.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
if it’s a special occasion trip IMO it’s a total non regrets move to book the PH. It’s not what it was precovid (particularly breakfast) but it’s a whole diff league than the Thompson. Enjoy your trip.

Originally Posted by Cmag211

Old Nov 7, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 2ndTOTY
Just completed a two night stay. I would say the place is alright. Certainly not exceptional, but a fine value given the price point especially on points. Refreshed rooms have given the place a more modern feel but still hard to shake the feeling you are in an older building that is a bit past its prime (the lower ceilings don’t help). As a globalist I didn’t receive any upgrade so was in base or something close to base category. Original room was very tiny and had no desk so asked to swap to someone that did have a work area. The property was able to find me a two bed base category room that did have a desk which was appreciated at the very least. While property was not busy so this wasn’t an issue I did notice that the noise insulation between rooms was pretty poor (I could hear someone raising their shades as I was packing up yesterday). Could imagine that being a big problem as it seems like even pedestrian noise levels travel quite far here. Globalist breakfast option includes ordering off room service menu. Food definitely not something I would be excited about having had it not been free but do they give them points for having an in room option as not all properties allow this and I find in room dining to be way more efficient. Service throughout the property was very good, friendly, and welcoming.

Overall totally fine property. I would come here again but not the kind of place you are going to get excited about / anticipate returning to just because of the hotel or the amenities. Certainly a big improvement from the Parker in its prior form.
Just completed a one-night stay. Totally agree that that the lack of work desk is a problem (though I didn't ask for a swap because it wasn't a work trip), and the sound isolation was poor just like what you experienced. From the 19th floor there was a small glimpse of a corner of Central Park.

The service was very good though. It would still be a nice property for a location close to Central Park, at a much lower price than PHNY that's one block away.
bennytma likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:23 am

Did they mention anything about globalist suite upgrades? Trying to use up a TSU that expires 12/31 but my concierge says it can't be used for the Studio Suite (the only listed suite on the hotel's web site).
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by redbirdsj
Did they mention anything about globalist suite upgrades? Trying to use up a TSU that expires 12/31 but my concierge says it can't be used for the Studio Suite (the only listed suite on the hotel's web site).
Same here - I have 1 suite upgrade expiring 12/31. I called and tried applying the upgrade but was told it wasn't available. Didn't ask again when checking in...
Old Nov 10, 2021, 2:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
They used to have such nice suites. I wonder if they got carved up to make more rooms.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 6:24 am

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stvr
They used to have such nice suites. I wonder if they got carved up to make more rooms.
I just got off a call with the property yesterday. All of the top floors and suites have been turned into condos. When the renovation is finished in April, the property will only have 4 true suite. The rest will be the studio suites.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 7:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC
Had a enjoyable stay last weekend. During check in asked for upgrade and manager came out and found the largest room available for us. It was remodeled very nicely. The construction cleanup could've been better by the windows otherwise room was great. Awesome hoody robes were available to lounge around in room. Breakfast was served in room. What a treat after getting butler breakfast at many of the Hyatt's in Nyc. The French toast and Zucker bagels with lox were delicious. Dogs are allowed but they charge 50.00 per stay were most Thompson's don't charge dog fee.

Old Nov 13, 2021, 8:11 pm

What is it with designers not putting doors on the showers? More and more I see that in hotels and with no door you can’t build up the steam in the shower and the heat will escape.
josephstern likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.