Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by themice
OK, now this is good to know.

As for the $60, I saw the breakfast menu lists " Grilled Fruit and Yogurt coconut granola $18 " so add in coffee, tax and tip, and it would be about $28 or so per person. I know that waffles, eggs or similar are only a few dollars more, so perhaps a better "value," but not if you don't eat those for breakfast.
My memory is fuzzy, but I don't think that a tip was required at the 24 hour store.

There might also be free morning coffee in the lounge as well...
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailstorm

Just budget an extra couple hundred dollars for the trip. How many times are you going to be in Wailea?

It's not about being "cheap", but seriously, $60 for a yogurt, cereal, piece of fruit and some coffee is even a bit much for me and I live in one of the most expensive places in the USA - Westchester County, NY.

I know I can do breakfast in room - but would prefer a café. Since we'll be going out and about, perhaps there are other off-hotel options?

We will be spending plenty of money while in Hawaii (helicopter, etc). BTW, been to Hawaii once before.

Agree. I usually book a rate with breakfast, but after about three days it gets boring and monotonous to eat at the restaurant . It is okay to leave the resort in search of grub. There are other hotels and places outside of Wailea to partake of breakfast nibbles.

I would look at edible Hawaii and some of the Maui food blogs to get a more diversified view of offerings.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Just budget an extra couple hundred dollars for the trip. How many times are you going to be in Wailea?
So don't agree with this... who cares if it's a once in a lifetime trip or a type of trip you take five times a year - why spend like that if that's not one's style.

There are just other variables to consider to make a blanket statement like "it's vacation, spend extra"... like do you drive by that Safeway daily (or multiple times a day, as I do, hitting beaches all over the area/island)... or is it a 10-15 day stay and one wants a more "live-there" feeling (that was my last trip there)... or maybe one has specific brand/item tastes? Now, on the contrary, for a short trip where one has no car and wants a "property experience" only...
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canyonleo
So don't agree with this... who cares if it's a once in a lifetime trip or a type of trip you take five times a year - why spend like that if that's not one's style.
To experience things that one wouldn't otherwise experience.

Why would a person go all the way to a luxury resort in Wailea and not even try to sample the food it has to offer?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:04 pm

Didn't mean to start a "food fight"

Why would a person go all the way to a luxury resort in Wailea and not even try to sample the food it has to offer?
Not saying I wouldn't try to sample the food. But a big breakfast is not my thing, nor my husband's. A lot of what this forum has been praising about breakfast just doesn't appeal to us. As I said in my first comment, we are really not big breakfast eaters. And the price of yogurt and granola ($18) at the Kitchen seemed rather steep.

Now, dinner is another matter. So I am sure there is ample opportunity for us to sample the food.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:06 pm

I so agree with "sample the food it has to offer" statement you make, but for me, I'm just not so into "resort food", especially (in part for the discussion) hotel "convenience market" food (noting that the food at the "convenience market" at Maui Andaz is quite good, very good.

I would go out of my way to try the best of the plate lunch spots, or the US's only Yelp 5-star rated food truck (off the main road near Honokawai, by the fruit stand and the railroad track, and it is awesome), or hit a nice restaurant (I do like Monkeypod and locally sourced foods)... or some great coffee... or anything that makes me feel like a local not a tourist.

Hitting a Safeway is not an inconvenience for some like me (having control over brand or ingredients or quantity may even be a convenience), it's part of travel life as it is part of home life, especially if travel life is so like regular life with multiple vacations per year, and a place like Andaz Maui is treated in part like a condo (with an amazing location, beach access, Diamond amenities or what's left of them, haha, etc.).
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canyonleo
I so agree with "sample the food it has to offer" statement you make, but for me, I'm just not so into "resort food", especially (in part for the discussion) hotel "convenience market" food (noting that the food at the "convenience market" at Maui Andaz is quite good, very good.

I would go out of my way to try the best of the plate lunch spots, or the US's only Yelp 5-star rated food truck (off the main road near Honokawai, by the fruit stand and the railroad track, and it is awesome), or hit a nice restaurant (I do like Monkeypod and locally sourced foods)... or some great coffee... or anything that makes me feel like a local not a tourist.

Hitting a Safeway is not an inconvenience for some like me (having control over brand or ingredients or quantity may even be a convenience), it's part of travel life as it is part of home life, especially if travel life is so like regular life with multiple vacations per year, and a place like Andaz Maui is treated in part like a condo (with an amazing location, beach access, Diamond amenities or what's left of them, haha, etc.).
I have no issue with the occasional light meal in the room, nor with bringing your own food off premises to save money. My issue is coming into the Andaz for the first time with the mindset that you're going to do spend each morning eating Captain Krunch in your room. First enjoy the options available, and then work out what's right for you.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:39 pm

why not just worry about yourself?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Colin
What an ironic comment!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
Good point... who participates in a board like this for conversations, or reads a board like this for advice
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:06 pm

I have no issue with the occasional light meal in the room, nor with bringing your own food off premises to save money. My issue is coming into the Andaz for the first time with the mindset that you're going to do spend each morning eating Captain Krunch in your room. First enjoy the options available, and then work out what's right for you.
As many good, interesting and varied dining options there are on Maui, eating hotel food, even if it is at an Andaz, would not be my highest priority.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JetAway
As many good, interesting and varied dining options there are on Maui, eating hotel food, even if it is at an Andaz, would not be my highest priority.
How many options are there at seven in the morning?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:40 pm

How many options are there at seven in the morning?
You guys are cracking me up on the direction this has taken - now do I dare even say I wasn't planning on having breakfast at 7am!!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You guys are cracking me up on the direction this has taken - now do I dare even say I wasn't planning on having breakfast at 7am!!
This information is still valid for other people that I have no business worrying about!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:20 pm

The only time you need to worry about me is if you happen to run into me before my 2nd cup of coffee!

I am sure we are going to enjoy the Andaz very much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.