Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RTW1
The P+C + DSU availability always had the potential to be more limited vs cash + DSU... and if what is mentioned here before is true, that a property doesn't get any reimbursement for a DSU, then I can see why a property wants as much cash for a booking as it can get.
But it's also a (major) downgrade for Diamonds wanting to stay in a suite here. And off course for all of those that want to use their points and still want the stay credit.

I really don't like the direction this is taking, but I wasn't planning to stay here anytime soon anyway... Just like at the PH NY I don't really like the limited benefits vs the high rates.

If more properties will follow and there is still no online view on P+C availability this is starting to look like a major waste of time for the call center as well. I already dislike having to call, but at least scoring a P+C rate once in a while gives me some satisfaction.....
Are you sure about that? My experience has been there may be different suite availability for HDR+points vs. all points vs. eligible rate+DSU, but I've never heard of different suite availability for different eligible rates + DSU. I thought if you were paying any eligible rate (AAA, P+C, HDR, etc.) that opened the same inventory of suites using a DSU. That would be a terrible change if they changed that since the beauty of DSUs is any eligible rate is fair game and opens up the same inventory. Or did I misunderstand what you're saying? Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Several properties have had less DSU options when paying P+C than using a DSU for fully paid rates.... I personally made reservations where the rate was show as P+C + DSU as a unique rate category.

So P+C has already been treated differently than the other rates.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by windycityf
how much time will I be spending in the room to justify, $650???
If you're in Maui, hopefully not very much!
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:49 pm

Just saw the news about P+C. This property keeps sliding down the (steep) slope toward mediocrity for me. We have a P+C + DSU stay planned for January. After that, probably won't be returning.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:09 pm

I just booked our January stay here. I had to separate the reservation 1 night in a 2-Queen room and 5 nights in a King room, all on points.

Question for those who stay as Diamonds but don't use the DSU's for a stay, how are the upgrades handed out at check-in if there are upgrades at all?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by pickles1107
Just saw the news about P+C. This property keeps sliding down the (steep) slope toward mediocrity for me. We have a P+C + DSU stay planned for January. After that, probably won't be returning.
Maybe I missed something, but how does this make the property mediocre? It doesn't impact the property itself, just your ability to stay there cheaply. Do you just evaluate properties based on how easy it is to redeem points there? Or is there something else that happened to this property?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
@ashap - At this property for regular rooms, it's view or no view. And trust me, you do not want the rooms with no view.

@berto714 - Being able to use a DSU adds a whole another dimension to C&P redemptions. It's pretty useful at this property given how much larger a suite is than the base rooms.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by berto714
Maybe I missed something, but how does this make the property mediocre? It doesn't impact the property itself, just your ability to stay there cheaply. Do you just evaluate properties based on how easy it is to redeem points there? Or is there something else that happened to this property?
This is another in a list of perks/amenities that have been trickling away since this property opened.

Slippers, Spa access for diamonds, breakfast for diamonds, , managers reception twice a week with pupus, complimentary outrigger experience, and now no P+C.

I am now wondering what else could be done away with before my stay in January...perhaps the lemonade in the lobby? Sunscreen by the pools?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pickles1107
This is another in a list of perks/amenities that have been trickling away since this property opened.

Slippers, Spa access for diamonds, breakfast for diamonds, , managers reception twice a week with pupus, complimentary outrigger experience, and now no P+C.

I am now wondering what else could be done away with before my stay in January...perhaps the lemonade in the lobby? Sunscreen by the pools?
I was just thinking the other day, wow, its been a while since somebody complained about the Andaz Maui breakfast buffet....for a while there, it was the top subject on this thread. I assume guests can still eat while staying here?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
So much nit picking on this thread! Folks, just go and enjoy the hotel! This is a beautiful and wonderful property. We just got back from a 4 night stay and really enjoyed everything. The staff (while working out a few kinks) were all extremely nice and worked very hard. The hotel has wonderful pools and a fantastic beach (I really can't believe that it sat dormant for so long!).

To me it just does not seem sustainable from a rev pov for a hotel to keep some of the benefits up that this hotel originally had and which some members expect. The Diamond breakfast that we had served plenty of food options and variety; and the staff was flexible with us ordering some food off of the menu. We have been to the Fairmont, Grand Wailea, Marriott, Maui Prince (now Makena) and the Four seasons. At the Andaz, we had a lovely stay and would go back in a heart beat.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by diggity
So much nit picking on this thread! Folks, just go and enjoy the hotel! This is a beautiful and wonderful property. We just got back from a 4 night stay and really enjoyed everything. The staff (while working out a few kinks) were all extremely nice and worked very hard. The hotel has wonderful pools and a fantastic beach (I really can't believe that it sat dormant for so long!).

To me it just does not seem sustainable from a rev pov for a hotel to keep some of the benefits up that this hotel originally had and which some members expect. The Diamond breakfast that we had served plenty of food options and variety; and the staff was flexible with us ordering some food off of the menu. We have been to the Fairmont, Grand Wailea, Marriott, Maui Prince (now Makena) and the Four seasons. At the Andaz, we had a lovely stay and would go back in a heart beat.
Funny thing is, had they started with the bare minimum (or slightly tighter controls) and then slightly increased them to their current status, people would be raving about the place. But they started out high, and are slightly reducing them.

You can always increases bennies, it's way tougher the other way 'round.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 1:37 pm

I checked in here on the 16th and have another 6 nights, if anyone wants to know anything about the property let me know and I'll do my best to find out. I'm here on a diamond challenge as well.

As for breakfast, I can confirm that diamonds now get the 'pantry' breakfast ($28 value + gratuity included) instead of the full $45 option that includes the omelet station, more meats, etc. the Pantry breakfast is still far and away the best hotel breakfast you're likely to see anywhere - and you get one side order such as bacon, chicken sausage, potatoes, etc.

I'm here on 4 nights from 2 Hyatt credit cards plus 88k hyatt points for the other 4 nights (booked pre-devaluation). I did not receive an upgrade at checkin, was quoted prices of $400 for a suite upgrade.

The hotel itself is by far the most amazing hotel I've been to. Given I haven't been to the Maldives or any other Andaz's or St. Regis's for that matter (fairly new to points and miles), but my vote is that this is the best hotel ever!

Now as long as hurricane Ana doesn't get any worse here, I'm expecting to have one of the best stays imaginable.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Fraggable
As for breakfast, I can confirm that diamonds now get the 'pantry' breakfast ($28 value + gratuity included) instead of the full $45 option that includes the omelet station, more meats, etc. the Pantry breakfast is still far and away the best hotel breakfast you're likely to see anywhere
Pantry breakfast is far and away the best hotel breakfast you're likely to see anywhere?

Um...no.

Given your admitted lack of experience in the matter, it's probably better for your credibility to avoid such hyperbole going forward.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Pantry breakfast is far and away the best hotel breakfast you're likely to see anywhere?

Um...no.

Given your admitted lack of experience in the matter, it's probably better for your credibility to avoid such hyperbole going forward.
Ok fine, whatever, I'm sure the Conrads in Asia are better, my point is that it's certainly not anything to complain about since they downgraded diamonds from the full breakfast.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Funny thing is, had they started with the bare minimum (or slightly tighter controls) and then slightly increased them to their current status, people would be raving about the place. But they started out high, and are slightly reducing them.

You can always increases bennies, it's way tougher the other way 'round.
No doubt. I've heard that since the downturn in the economy (even somewhat today), Wailea is a tough market for the hotels. I think that any hotel that opens up as new here has to lure folks in one way or another to establish it's name/credibility/property. The old Maui Prince (Makena hotel now, I believe), is going to be torn down next and re-built. Shall be interesting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.