Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
what people need to stop doing is basing their expectations on those of "famous" bloggers (lmao). bloggers- by virtue of their pathetic profession- get certain perks that other guests simply do not enjoy. i think people's expectations are way out of whack, and it is ridiculous that people allow a simple breakfast change policy to create such a sea-change in people's perceptions of the property. enough with the freeloading.
Maybe it's just me but I think what is really happening is that people are more realistically evaluating this property. I stayed at that Andaz Maui the first week of June and even with the free breakfast, canoe ride and the access to the spa, I found it to be overrated.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K

Beachbride,

Overrated how? Based on price? Amenities? Beach? Room?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
what people need to stop doing is basing their expectations on those of "famous" bloggers (lmao). bloggers- by virtue of their pathetic profession- get certain perks that other guests simply do not enjoy. i think people's expectations are way out of whack, and it is ridiculous that people allow a simple breakfast change policy to create such a sea-change in people's perceptions of the property. enough with the freeloading.
I think it's ridiculous that you're such a fanboy of Hyatt that you will lower your expectations so much that for a $400/night stay at an Andaz property you believe a residence-inn style breakfast is acceptable for diamond members. (lmao). BTW I literally have better breakfasts at residence inns, so that is giving the Andaz a break.

Maybe it's just me but I think what is really happening is that people are more realistically evaluating this property. I stayed at that Andaz Maui the first week of June and even with the free breakfast, canoe ride and the access to the spa, I found it to be overrated.
Well-put. Agreed
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by llbad
I think it's ridiculous that you're such a fanboy of Hyatt that you will lower your expectations so much that for a $400/night stay at an Andaz property you believe a residence-inn style breakfast is acceptable for diamond members. (lmao). BTW I literally have better breakfasts at residence inns, so that is giving the Andaz a break.

Well-put. Agreed
it has nothing to do with me being a fanboy- it has everything to do with me not thinking of free breakfast as the be-all, end-all of what hyatt diamond is about. pay the extra $17 and quit griping. i think it is ridiculous that there are so many cheapskates on this forum that use breakfast as an opportunity to get a jump-start on lunch and dinner... no wonder the perks continue to be eroded.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
it has nothing to do with me being a fanboy- it has everything to do with me not thinking of free breakfast as the be-all, end-all of what hyatt diamond is about. pay the extra $17 and quit griping. i think it is ridiculous that there are so many cheapskates on this forum that use breakfast as an opportunity to get a jump-start on lunch and dinner... no wonder the perks continue to be eroded.
Agree. Cheapskates or frugal...I know what you mean. I think people get a little carried away at getting everything for free, or near-free, as possible they lose sight of the bigger picture.

I flew on NWA before Delta bought them and they had a saying about "Silver" members. The flight attendants called them "Tinfoil" because they demanded the most and were the least deserving of special treatment...compared to the other members with higher status.

Maybe that is what is happening hear, first time Diamond Hyatt folks are really Tinfoil and expect way more than they deserve.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K

Also it should be said that we are talking about an exclusive part of the world in Wailea, so it's hard to say it's overrated at $400 a night when the Fairmont is $600 and the Four Seasons $800.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by llbad

That is just a crazy statement. Even with the reduced new breakfast, one gets smoked local fish, high quality cut fruits, and breads baked fresh on property. The coffee is local grown (although like Residence, stale, roasted - not brewed - weeks earlier at Andaz and months earlier at Residence).

I'm no fanboy, but as a foodie it's CRAZY to compare packaged Residence quality food with the reduced choices at Andaz's fresh, organics, locally sourced food!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me
Also it should be said that we are talking about an exclusive part of the world in Wailea, so it's hard to say it's overrated at $400 a night when the Fairmont is $600 and the Four Seasons $800.
IMO, the service and general luxury of the Four Seasons makes that price reasonable if not unaffordable for most. The Andaz at $400/night? Not so much.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by peteropny
The spa access is now one day (with in and out privileges) for each person staying the room with the Diamond - you are given passes. Otherwise it is a steep $45 per day per person - nice facilities but rather limited in scope.
Ok we are on the property now and as diamonds all we got was a coupon good for 10% off the spa. No mention of it being free at all. In fact with all these changes it is very difficult to figure out exactly what we will be charged for anything (breakfast, spa, canoe, etc.). Do we not get even a free day at the spa??

For breakfast we were told its complimentary at checkin (no mention of any changes), but in the letter they gave us explaining benefits it says it's for the "pantry" breakfast which I now understand to be the reduced one.

I won't discuss our room situation until after we have left...
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by canyonleo
That is just a crazy statement.
You know what is really crazy... so much people falling for all that PR BS about the organic and local grown food. Of course they prefer local grown, importing it is way more expensive. And raving about the fruit, you're on Hawaii where it would be somewhat of a miracle to present bad fruit. Breakfast should always be decent at an Andaz, we are not talking HP or HR club quality here. So comparing this with the other Andaz locations this seems about the lowest offering of a free breakfast you get among them. Even if what you do get is good. Or do you know of another Andaz that limits breakfast in this way?

The simple fact is that for those that have earned Diamond status the hard way a downgrade in breakfast is a bad thing. And being nickle and dimed for another $17 at an expensive property to get a full breakfast isn't the way to go at an already expensive property.

But as others have stated before. Now the PR has died down with bloggers favoritism in finding another property to push as a credit card application, and the property has shown what it really is, an expensive property (as most are in Hawaii) that has little or no local charm and where service is very hit and miss. Everyone can decide for themselves where to go.

I can understand they are being overrun with Diamonds, like the rest of the Hawaiian properties, but that still makes all the new nickle and diming a very bad thing in my book. Especially when you also have the change of getting a mediocre room and mediocre service.

Last edited by RTW1; Sep 14, 2014 at 3:55 am
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Concierge: Please ask Andaz Maui to give Diamond members a welcome letter that delineates all the Diamond benefits including breakfast, spa access, canoe rental, etc due to the recent changes.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:39 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Good Morning,

I will certainly forward this feedback to the hotel. They appreciate all the feedback so that they can help make your stay enjoyable.

Becky S
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Good Morning,
I will certainly forward this feedback to the hotel. They appreciate all the feedback so that they can help make your stay enjoyable.
Becky S
I have some very specific comments about the room we were in last week, and ways to improve on the functionality. To whom should I direct them?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:56 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by slocouple
I have some very specific comments about the room we were in last week, and ways to improve on the functionality. To whom should I direct them?
Good Afternoon slocouple,

Whether it simply needs to be seen by local hotel management or it needs additional eyes and ears, we'd be happy to hear from you either via PM here or via email at [email protected].

Warm regards,

Evan V
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:13 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by mattolo
Ok we are on the property now and as diamonds all we got was a coupon good for 10% off the spa. No mention of it being free at all. In fact with all these changes it is very difficult to figure out exactly what we will be charged for anything (breakfast, spa, canoe, etc.). Do we not get even a free day at the spa??..
Go ask about the one day spa access pass per person, it's possible they simply forgot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.