FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
View Single Post
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:07 pm
hailstorm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by canyonleo
I so agree with "sample the food it has to offer" statement you make, but for me, I'm just not so into "resort food", especially (in part for the discussion) hotel "convenience market" food (noting that the food at the "convenience market" at Maui Andaz is quite good, very good.

I would go out of my way to try the best of the plate lunch spots, or the US's only Yelp 5-star rated food truck (off the main road near Honokawai, by the fruit stand and the railroad track, and it is awesome), or hit a nice restaurant (I do like Monkeypod and locally sourced foods)... or some great coffee... or anything that makes me feel like a local not a tourist.

Hitting a Safeway is not an inconvenience for some like me (having control over brand or ingredients or quantity may even be a convenience), it's part of travel life as it is part of home life, especially if travel life is so like regular life with multiple vacations per year, and a place like Andaz Maui is treated in part like a condo (with an amazing location, beach access, Diamond amenities or what's left of them, haha, etc.).
I have no issue with the occasional light meal in the room, nor with bringing your own food off premises to save money. My issue is coming into the Andaz for the first time with the mindset that you're going to do spend each morning eating Captain Krunch in your room. First enjoy the options available, and then work out what's right for you.