Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hailstorm
The pool and shuttle bus service from the hotel to Shinjuku station has permanently ended as of March 31st, 2021.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
$225 for a hotel room in Tokyo is pretty good. Personally I value both Chase UR and Hyatt pts at 2c but even $300 for a hotel room in Tokyo is not bad. But of course if you can find a better cash rate you should probably pay cash.

Don't forget to include service charges and taxes in your cash rate.
Not really. I can stay down the street at a Tokyu Stay for $60. Yes - it's a very basic room and not luxury but the times where Tokyo is expensive are long gone.

In Japan you pay for the brand. I don't think the HR TYO is worth more than $200 at max and that's already pushing it.

12k good deal but for 15k I'm with other posters and give it a pass. That's pretty much 2 nights at Grand Hyatt for me so there is much better use on the Hyatt award chart.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by blackzarg
Just finished a 5 night stay at this property! Thought it was an incredible bargain as a Category 3. For a Category 4 I’d have to weigh other options. I paid 17k for a Club King Room, primarily so I could guarantee myself a newly renovated room.
So you're willing to spend 17K on a room, but not 15K?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Not really. I can stay down the street at a Tokyu Stay for $60. Yes - it's a very basic room and not luxury but the times where Tokyo is expensive are long gone.

In Japan you pay for the brand. I don't think the HR TYO is worth more than $200 at max and that's already pushing it.

12k good deal but for 15k I'm with other posters and give it a pass. That's pretty much 2 nights at Grand Hyatt for me so there is much better use on the Hyatt award chart.
I think that if you are happy with something very basic then that's fine. But $200 is still a good rate for something that is not that basic. Comparing to something more basic doesn't really change that.

I'm currently booked at the GH Tokyo for $300 / night when the HR is $150. And, as you point out, I could stay somewhere even more basic for $60. But I don't want to stay somewhere more basic.

If your goal is just to spend as little as possible on accomodations and you are happy with something very basic, then Hyatt will rarely be your best choice. Even HP and HH are generally more expensive than a Motel 6.
lsquare, luvFclass and 59Impala like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
I think that if you are happy with something very basic then that's fine. But $200 is still a good rate for something that is not that basic. Comparing to something more basic doesn't really change that.

I'm currently booked at the GH Tokyo for $300 / night when the HR is $150. And, as you point out, I could stay somewhere even more basic for $60. But I don't want to stay somewhere more basic.

If your goal is just to spend as little as possible on accomodations and you are happy with something very basic, then Hyatt will rarely be your best choice. Even HP and HH are generally more expensive than a Motel 6.
Sounds pretty basic to me.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Even HP and HH are generally more expensive than a Motel 6.
When did they open the first Motel 6 in Japan?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I'm thinking of trying this hotel for a two night stay. I'm currently an Explorist. Is lounge access worth the money? What's the food spread like? Any comments in the breakfast? Is there a subway station nearby? I'm flying into Narita, but departing from Haneda.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 5:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, United Silver, American Airlines Platinum
I just completed a 5 night stay, and did not pay for the lounge access. There are plenty of fantastic places to eat in Shinjuku, why limit yourself to hotel food?
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by IndoorCamper
I just completed a 5 night stay, and did not pay for the lounge access. There are plenty of fantastic places to eat in Shinjuku, why limit yourself to hotel food?
What about breakfast? Did you at least try that? Any comments on getting there from Narita?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, United Silver, American Airlines Platinum
I didn't have access. They do have a small bakery store (not sure if they make it in-house) in the lobby. My girlfriend and I were quite impressed with their offerings and really enjoyed their baked goods. They have both sweet and savory baked goods and are definitely worth checking out.

I flew into HND and used https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/ . The bus system there is very well developed, and should also support Narita. It only costs us 1250 yen for a one way ticket (from HND). They had free wifi on the bus too.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat since 2008. Hyatt Diamond since 2015
Is the club lounge closed due to the virus? The hotel posted this on their website:
https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ja...ty/news-events

I'm guessing breakfast included but evening snacks are no longer served as the club lounge is closed?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 8:31 pm

Here is the hotel's email [email protected]

They were very helpful for any inquiries I had. Safe travels guys!
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This was one of the few HRs IME where there was a menu to order a served choice of appetizers. Perhaps that's still available in the lounge at this time.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by igoncrazy
Is the club lounge closed due to the virus? The hotel posted this on their website:

I'm guessing breakfast included but evening snacks are no longer served as the club lounge is closed?
This seems like a plus to me. Breakfast in the restaurant vs lounge? Yes. Though I found the club great for breakfast and pre dinner happy hour. I used club award and it was worth that. lsquare, upthread I posted pics. Around July 2018. You can get an idea of offerings from those. Value prob depends on personal preference. We travel with kids 11-20 and really appreciate the ease of lounge. If just spouse and I, we might prefer restaurant and local places.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:31 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by igoncrazy

I just finished a 2-night stay here in a Club room this week. Did not want to be traveling at this time, but it was unavoidable. The Club Lounge is open and evening snacks are served. They offer you a choice of one of two main appetizer dishes, I had chili shrimp (3 pieces) one night and a tiny lasagna the second night, along with three side dishes and a cheese plate, as well as a basket containing potato chips, mixed nuts, and rice crackers. There's a table with drinks on it (about 3 or 4 sparkling wines along with red and white wines, assorted liquors, and beer that you can grab for yourself from the cooler). You just tell the staff what wine or liquor you want to drink and they will pour it for you. In the afternoon, around tea time (from 3 pm) they serve you a plate of a small cake and fruit-nut bread and peeled fruit. There were never more than about 6-7 people in the Club Lounge at one time. All hotel employees wore face masks.

Evening snack

Club Lounge

Also, if you're staying on the Club floor, you get two breakfast coupons for breakfast in the 2nd floor restaurant. The breakfast is huge, you can choose either the Japanese or American breakfast. It's very filling and satisfying. Not many people staying at the hotel, at its busiest the entire window row of the restaurant was filled as were a couple of non-window seats (not more than 15-20 people at any one time for breakfast).

"American" breakfast

Japanese breakfast

Empty seats in restaurant at breakfast time

The gym and heated pool on the 28th floor were open, but no one was using the gym, but a few people were using the pool. As an added bonus, cherry blossoms were still in bloom and the weather was nearly 70 degrees F. The staff were very friendly, though I'm sure they're concerned about potential layoffs, so they seemed to show extra appreciation for the guests staying with them at this time.

The last time I stayed at the HR Tokyo was in 1995 (then called the Century Hyatt) and the Club Lounge was quite different back then in one large rectangular room. The rooms are very nice and have obviously been upgraded in recent years. Overall, the rooms are much nicer than the HR Kyoto and better looking with no cosmetic defects (scratches, etc.) than Club rooms at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo. Considering that the HR Tokyo first opened in 1980, it is very well preserved and an incredible bargain for cash, but especially for point stays.
MSPeconomist, DELee and hailstorm like this.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Mar 27, 2020 at 10:16 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO their (choice of two) plated and served lounge appetizers were always nice, although I wasn't very impressed by their self service evening food choices.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Apr 13, 2020 at 7:49 pm Reason: correcting autocorrect again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.