Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hailstorm
The pool and shuttle bus service from the hotel to Shinjuku station has permanently ended as of March 31st, 2021.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2021, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lAzyTraveler
Well, you asked me where I saw it, so I answered. the link was showing this hotel was going to be cat 4. It would be nice to see that the hotel would be down to 2.
Even with no foreign fans, surely they can sell some rooms for reasonably high prices around the Olympics. It would be foolish to lower the category before these events conclude.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Even with no foreign fans, surely they can sell some rooms for reasonably high prices around the Olympics. It would be foolish to lower the category before these events conclude.
Rates and categories are not that connected. Even if they were a Cat 2, they could easily block all award space for the Olympics and charge whatever the rate the market will bear. I think they are still contracted out for the Olympics, but it seems there are some very low rates during the Paralympics. I would not be surprised to see availability open up later for the Olympics; there are likely contract cancellations that have yet to be settled.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Rates and categories are not that connected. Even if they were a Cat 2, they could easily block all award space for the Olympics and charge whatever the rate the market will bear. I think they are still contracted out for the Olympics, but it seems there are some very low rates during the Paralympics. I would not be surprised to see availability open up later for the Olympics; there are likely contract cancellations that have yet to be settled.
True, but if the hotel is going to be giving out any award rooms during this period, they would rather be paid a bit more by Hyatt.
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Something I didn't notice until today that may affect your planned future stay:

Notice on End of Service of Hotel Shuttle Bus

Hotel shuttle bus service has been permanently ended as of March 31, 2021. We sincerely thank you for your understanding.
https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ja...transportation
Old Apr 15, 2021, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Something I didn't notice until today that may affect your planned future stay:

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ja...transportation
I believe they will resume the shuttle bus when foreign tourism resumes but don't know when that will happen in Japan.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anchor79
I believe they will resume the shuttle bus when foreign tourism resumes but don't know when that will happen in Japan.
Believe what you want, but there is not reason to announce the shuttle bus as permanently closed if they intend to reopen it at some point.

Nearby Park Hyatt Tokyo has also stopped shuttle bus service, but have never advertised that as a permanent change.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now, if you want to talk about beliefs, I believe that this hotel is in the process of winding down operations, possibly within the next twelve months, and definitely within the next five years.

The average life of a large building in Tokyo is about 50 years; this one has been around over forty (the building that was torn down to make way for the current Aman Tokyo was up for under 25 years) Occupancy was not great even before coronavirus hit, and the Odakyu company is hemorrhaging money both here and with their other train and leisure businesses. They probably want to tear this building down and put something else in this location that will be more profitable. That's the only reason I can think of as to why they have basically waived the white flag at this point.
Hydro88 and PG.backpacker like this.

Last edited by hailstorm; Apr 15, 2021 at 5:48 pm Reason: fixed typo
Old Apr 15, 2021, 5:20 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
It does feel that way, and though Covid may have played some of a role with the timing/details, it was starting before then.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 5:33 pm

Would be very sad when it closes. I used to stay here frequently for business and it’s a good value hotel close to transportation.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if they will drop the Hyatt branding at some point, and become "Shinjuku Park Regency Hotel" or such.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 2:24 pm

I wonder if they will drop the Hyatt branding at some point, and become "Shinjuku Park Regency Hotel" or such.
I guess they wouldn't want to put their Odakyu name on it? OTOH, if they can sell it before ceasing operations, the new owner might want a generic name, assuming there's any reputational value to the name at all by then.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.hyattregencytokyo.com/Po...urs_9_June.pdf

The Fitness room appears to have finally reopened, albeit only from 8am to 8pm each day.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 3:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I have a week booked on points (regular room x2) for next summer. One room will have to be upgraded to the deluxe (or a suite) bc kid will need a rollaway. In the past, hotel allowed me to pay the additional charge for the upgrade (although seems like I should’ve gotten it with Explorist anyway). I’ll be glob lite by then and am wondering if my options might be different. The current rez is for 2 adults in each room. One will get the addition of a 13 year old. Can I wait until arrival and ask about upgrade and add kid then? Too risky?
Old Oct 12, 2021, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I have a week booked on points (regular room x2) for next summer. One room will have to be upgraded to the deluxe (or a suite) bc kid will need a rollaway. In the past, hotel allowed me to pay the additional charge for the upgrade (although seems like I should’ve gotten it with Explorist anyway). I’ll be glob lite by then and am wondering if my options might be different. The current rez is for 2 adults in each room. One will get the addition of a 13 year old. Can I wait until arrival and ask about upgrade and add kid then? Too risky?
Ask them now. These people are great. And don't offer to pay. You're a Globalist with a history with the hotel making an extended stay with multiple rooms. Just write something like "Hey, I'm coming back to your hotel as a Globalist to spend my points, but I've got my kids with me, can you help me out here?" and I'm sure they will do just that.

Update: I mistook this for the Hyatt Regency Tokyo Bay thread that I've been replying to recently. For Hyatt Regency Tokyo, while my approval of the staff is not so full-throated, I still think it a valid strategy to try with this place.

Last edited by hailstorm; Oct 12, 2021 at 5:04 pm
Old Oct 12, 2021, 5:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Ask them now. These people are great. And don't offer to pay. You're a Globalist with a history with the hotel making an extended stay with multiple rooms. Just write something like "Hey, I'm coming back to your hotel as a Globalist to spend my points, but I've got my kids with me, can you help me out here?" and I'm sure they will do just that.

Update: I mistook this for the Hyatt Regency Tokyo Bay thread that I've been replying to recently. For Hyatt Regency Tokyo, while my approval of the staff is not so full-throated, I still think it a valid strategy to try with this place.
Okay, great. I may wait till I hit glob in two months and then write. So I have it in the bag. They were great when we were there in 2018 but did charge us the upgrade. I should’ve asked for comped Explorist upgrade though (they didn’t offer).

I need to check out the HR Tokyo Bay. We have 2 weeks in Japan and looking for second week destinations. Will prob also return to Kyoto. Last day is Universal Studios for Nintendo world for the 13 year old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.