Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hailstorm
The pool and shuttle bus service from the hotel to Shinjuku station has permanently ended as of March 31st, 2021.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2022, 4:02 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by schriste

As an aside, the Atrium suites probably have the absolute worst view of the entire hotel. Bedroom has no window at all. However, if you are a chasmophile you will love the Atrium Suite.
you get a view of the atrium. Elevators and chandelier.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RedElmo
you get a view of the atrium. Elevators and chandelier.
And you really can't even see those unless you open the door and go out onto the "balcony".

That said, I love the quirky feel of the Atrium suite, to the point where if they offered to upgrade me to the Presidential suite, I'd probably decline.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by hailstorm
And you really can't even see those unless you open the door and go out onto the "balcony".

That said, I love the quirky feel of the Atrium suite, to the point where if they offered to upgrade me to the Presidential suite, I'd probably decline.
Yes, but you are an admitted chasmophile
hailstorm likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schriste
Yes, but you are an admitted chasmophile
I'd venture that no other thread on Flyertalk makes use of the word chasmophile as much as this one.
MSPeconomist and aquanine like this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott

Atrium suite is the second tier up from the lowest suite? I can’t remember. But it’s rather dark in the room without natural light. I would take the presidential suite lol
Old Feb 16, 2022, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Atrium suite is the second tier up from the lowest suite?
Regency Suite and Atrium Suite are both standard suites for the purpose of points redemption. Regency Executive Suite is listed as a premium suite, but looks basically identical to a Regency Suite to me. All other suites are unavailable for any points redemption.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Yomiuri News Paper and Kyodo Tsushin (news service) in Japan have reported that the owner of Hyatt Regency Tokyo, Odakyu Electric Railways (owns Hyatt Regency Tokyo since its opening in 1980) is planning to sell Hyatt Regency Tokyo. Odakyu Electric Railway's core business, Odakyu Line between Shinjuku - Odawara/Enoshima, was hit hard due to pandemic and Odakyu Railways is planning to sell Hyatt Regency Tokyo to reduce the tangible assets of their corporation, according to Japanese news media reported news. No further information on the news media so far.
Skink, not2017 and hailstorm like this.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Feb 28, 2022 at 11:18 am
Old Feb 28, 2022, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Color me not surprised.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I have 5 nights there, on points, in September. Or do I?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

English article announcing this.

Unless we're talking some bargain basement hotel company like APA (and even then I don't know what they'd do with the accompanying office building), I can't imagine any prospective buyer wanting this for anything more than the land it sits on.

Originally Posted by cruisr
I have 5 nights there, on points, in September. Or do I?
I'm sure any sale wouldn't be finalized by then. The biggest concern is whether Hyatt will continue allowing their brand to be used throughout the downward spiral.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 4:06 pm

Hopefully it stays a Hyatt but not holding my breath. I really do enjoy this hotel for the points cost. Now if Japan would stop being ridiculous with their border and open up they'd have cash in these hotels again. But I still don't that even happening til 2023.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Revisiting my post from last year:

Now, if you want to talk about beliefs, I believe that this hotel is in the process of winding down operations, possibly within the next twelve months, and definitely within the next five years.

The average life of a large building in Tokyo is about 50 years; this one has been around over forty (the building that was torn down to make way for the current Aman Tokyo was up for under 25 years) Occupancy was not great even before coronavirus hit, and the Odakyu company is hemorrhaging money both here and with their other train and leisure businesses. They probably want to tear this building down and put something else in this location that will be more profitable. That's the only reason I can think of as to why they have basically waived the white flag at this point.
In hindsight, I didn't foresee Odakyu's situation becoming so bad as to warrant divesting the property altogether. They're beyond the point of revitalizing a prime piece of real estate into something more profitable a few years down the road. They need cash to support other operations ASAP.

There's already a tremendous number of new hotels that have opened recently and are currently in the pipeline. With that glut in mind, I'd be very surprised if there will be any sort of hotel on this property going forward, let alone a Hyatt Regency.

But I also can't imagine Tokyo without a Hyatt Regency somewhere (no, Hyatt Regency Tokyo Bay doesn't count). Maybe something else like the Westin Tokyo gets rebranded somewhere down the road?
not2017 and seigex like this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I’m still holding on to my HR rez for July even though I know I’m going to end up canceling. Between air travel masking, red tape, possible quarantine, etc etc etc, I just feel defeated. I don’t want the anxiety to ruin the trip. I have to keep reminding myself that eventually I will find the perfect J tix on JAL again.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I’m still holding on to my HR rez for July even though I know I’m going to end up canceling. Between air travel masking, red tape, possible quarantine, etc etc etc, I just feel defeated. I don’t want the anxiety to ruin the trip. I have to keep reminding myself that eventually I will find the perfect J tix on JAL again.
I see Korea opening before Japan. Transiting isn't too hard so I'm hoping Korea is open if Japan isn't for my mid/late trip in December. I feel you too as I booked ANA J so I really wanna go. Just a thought to also look at Korea for a back up
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I've been to 6 countries during COVID (stayed in Hyatts in 5 of them). It's really not that bad. Last month I flew to Thailand in a mix of JAL F and J, and I wasn't told once to put my mask over my face, though I did when I slept. In country, it's slightly annoying, but not really a big deal. I bought silk masks on Amazon for while I was in Thailand, and they were extremely light and comfortable, helped out a lot. I think you should go ahead with it, it's really not as bad as it seems, assuming Japan opens up to travelers before July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.