Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Seattle REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Seattle REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
The olive 8 breakfast is the best Diamond breakfast in North America.. The crabs eggs benedict is amazing. It's the main reason why I stay over there instead of GH. At least a $60+ value for 2 every morning(they include 18% tip as well)

Olive 8 just opened up at a rate of $6 a night more but don't have any Kings except the ADA one. not sure if I am allowed to book that room since I don't have any disabilities so I still hold my GH reservation. Any thoughts on this?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SKYEG
The olive 8 breakfast is the best Diamond breakfast in North America.. The crabs eggs benedict is amazing. It's the main reason why I stay over there instead of GH. At least a $60+ value for 2 every morning(they include 18% tip as well)

Olive 8 just opened up at a rate of $6 a night more but don't have any Kings except the ADA one. not sure if I am allowed to book that room since I don't have any disabilities so I still hold my GH reservation. Any thoughts on this?
Yes, you can book that. Dungeoness crab benedict is awesome. The waffles are unlike any other, very light. They also have a very unique happy hour menu. Urbane is a great choice out of many delicious ones in Seattle. And coming up in the next few weeks is the Seattle restaurant week. http://seattletimes.com/seattlerestaurantweek/
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:15 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just had the breakfast in the club room here at the GH. It was disappointing. The only "hot" dish was some mini-quiches that looked sad and had a little candle warmer underneath them. Other than that, just misc cold things including meats and cheeses that were amazingly similar to the ones available during the cocktail hour.

Wonder why no newspaper was delivered to the room either day I was here.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 3:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Just had the breakfast in the club room here at the GH. It was disappointing. The only "hot" dish was some mini-quiches that looked sad and had a little candle warmer underneath them. Other than that, just misc cold things including meats and cheeses that were amazingly similar to the ones available during the cocktail hour.

Very sad to read your recent posts about this property.

It used to be one of the best NA Hyatt properties.

Very frequent upgrades to corner suites, decent rates, very stylish Club Lounge with quality food and in general one of the properties one was positive about and looking forward to.

IIRC, you actually got the Sunday Edition of the NY Times in the lounge back in the days.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 4:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Must have been a while ago... when I was staying there last year the room was very good, but even then the lounge and breakfast was nothing to rave about.
Although that can be said for most Hyatt properties in the US.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:46 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by FD1971
Very sad to read your recent posts about this property.

It used to be one of the best NA Hyatt properties.

Very frequent upgrades to corner suites, decent rates, very stylish Club Lounge with quality food and in general one of the properties one was positive about and looking forward to.

IIRC, you actually got the Sunday Edition of the NY Times in the lounge back in the days.
This past weekend was my 3rd time at the property. First time was upgraded to one of the corner suites, 2nd time in a high floor king room, this time using a Diamond suite upgrade got an Executive suite. I still think that it's one of the best properties in domestic US. Didn't really like the lounge setup with the food kind of scattered through the space with average offerings. On Sat we got the papers at our door, Sunday no delivery but they (including the NY Times) were in the GC.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by RTW1
Must have been a while ago... when I was staying there last year the room was very good, but even then the lounge and breakfast was nothing to rave about.
Although that can be said for most Hyatt properties in the US.
I had numerous stays there over the last couple of years, when it was still the only Hyatt property in the downtwon area, but Seattle is one of the cities where I do not really care about lounge food due to the number of high quality food outlets in close proximity.

Originally Posted by peteropny
This past weekend was my 3rd time at the property. First time was upgraded to one of the corner suites, 2nd time in a high floor king room, this time using a Diamond suite upgrade got an Executive suite. I still think that it's one of the best properties in domestic US. Didn't really like the lounge setup with the food kind of scattered through the space with average offerings. On Sat we got the papers at our door, Sunday no delivery but they (including the NY Times) were in the GC.
Their room to suite ratio is outstanding. For every three rooms, they have one suite, more than 100 in total, IIRC.

The Corner Suites could also be renamed into corner rooms given their size and set-up, so I never considered it to be a brilliant upgrade.

For me, one of the key features of a good club lounge is their selection of quality newspapers and magazines. It is nice to read that they still offer quality papers. I tend to read three or four every day and was never really happy with the spare selection at many Hyatt properties, either the USA Today and/or the WSJ. Would be nice to have another quality newspaper from another political spectrum available every day as well. I do not know too many business travelers who only read one paper a day. Maybe they do it on their tablet these days, but at least for me, a typical business Hotel like a GH should offer 3-5 good newspapers like most of the Hyatt properties in Europe.

BTW, there used to be a B&N next door, is it still around?

Last edited by FD1971; Oct 7, 2013 at 9:05 am
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by FD1971
BTW, there used to be a B&N next door, is it still around?
Yep, still there!
Old Oct 7, 2013, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by RichardInSF

I agree that the offerings at breakfast were dismal. Even more dismal were the offerings during cocktail hour. Some cold cuts, cheese and 1 "hot" dish, which were little fish sticks. Cocktails were $5.00 for a very very small shot.
My Executive Suite had a gorgeous view. Ventilation system was awful. Very noisy AC. Having seen the Olive property, I would definitely stay there next time. Not as luxe as the GH, but brighter and fresher. Also, no newspaper for me.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 4:46 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

You guys had bad luck with the newspapers! I was asked at check-in, said I didn't need one, and still had one delivered each day.

I'm now down to maybe 4-5 annual trips to Seattle, but still have much better upgrade luck at Olive 8 than GH. Without using suite upgrade certs, I've been upgraded to the presidential and governor's suites at Olive 8, and the luxury suites are nice, too. At GH, they try as well, but I think a lot of their suites (as FD1971 points out, a lot of them could as well be called corner rooms) are sold due to the minimal price difference between rooms and "suites." This weekend, I had a standard room with a freeway view (although this was my choice; I arrived at 1pm and was told I could wait for my pre-assigned room, so they definitely deserve credit for trying). Bottom line, despite the relatively poor club (by international standards, not domestic), it's a great hotel, and we'd be lucky if all domestic Hyatts were as good as this place and Olive 8.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 5:08 pm

Somewhere up-thread, I've made some positive comments about the GH Seattle. I really love the place, especially for location and frequent upgrades - virtually the only place I've ever been upgraded in 10+ years as a Diamond.

A minor footnote for the strict-vegetarian minority: Olive 8 doesn't have much to offer at breakfast. I prefer the GH where I can at least get cut melon and a packet of oatmeal. For the omnivores and non-strict (e.g., egg-eating) vegetarians, I can definitely see the appeal of Olive 8. And, in the evening, GH almost always has crudités.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
After reading more things about the club breakfast, was tempted to book ADA room at Olive8(don't judge me) and stay at olive 8 and noticed that a king deluxe opened up so I booked it for $10 more a night.

I may do one night each just to check out GH as its been almost a year to see if the choices are even less nowadays.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by SKYEG
After reading more things about the club breakfast, was tempted to book ADA room at Olive8(don't judge me) and stay at olive 8 and noticed that a king deluxe opened up so I booked it for $10 more a night.

I may do one night each just to check out GH as its been almost a year to see if the choices are even less nowadays.
What is with people who don't need an ADA room booking them? As somebody who needs one it is frustrating when there aren't any available for booking. I just don't understand. It is not a matter of judgment; rather trying to understand why somebody would book a room if they don't need it.

Btw Olive8 will make nice vegetarian dishes as they are able. You just need to ask.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ldsant
What is with people who don't need an ADA room booking them? As somebody who needs one it is frustrating when there aren't any available for booking. I just don't understand. It is not a matter of judgment; rather trying to understand why somebody would book a room if they don't need it.
Sometimes that's all that's left or it's the cheapest that's available?
I'm not so sure that many people, that don't need them, even book them.... and isn't it just the same as with the other rooms. They are available to all... and when they are booked, they are gone?
Old Nov 25, 2013, 2:55 pm

Earlier this year I read a review with pictures that had a 20% off spa services at Olive 8 on the desk in the room. Could anyone who has stayed here recently confirm if this is still the case or not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.