Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
This version of the Hyatt card (with its 2 free nights offer) has been discontinued as of June 29, 2017.

There is a new version.

See this thread
:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ed-2018-a.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

What are the benefits of the card?
  • 3 points/dollar spent at Hyatt
  • 2 points per dollar spent at restaurants, airfare, car rental
  • 1 point for all other charges
  • No foreign exchange fee
  • Annually, on renewal, one free night at up to a category 4 hotel and is valid for 12 months
When will I receive the sign up bonus?
Typically a day or two after the close of the billing cycle in which you reach spend threshold.
When do the signup points from this card offer expire?
If you have no activity on your Hyatt account for 24 months your points will expire.
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.
It's a Chase Card. Does that mean that if I have more than 5 new open lines of credit in 24 months, I will be automatically denied?
This card is not currently under the 5 cards in 24 months Chase application restriction.
It looks like the Hyatt website will let me use my anniversary category 1-4 cert for any property, including those above category 4. Is this for real?
No. Even if the system accepts your attempted reservation, the property will not honor the cert at check-in. Accept the fact that your cat 4 cert is just that.
Can I use my anniversary category 1-4 cert at a higher-category property with a cash co-pay? By paying the difference in points? By asking nicely?
No. No. No.
Can I use my annual free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused points or annual free-night certificate?
No. Unused points already in your Hyatt account as well as the annual free-night award remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.

Questions related to the (now expired) 2 Free Night card offer:

When do the signup bonus free-night awards for this card expire?
The awards expire one year from the date of deposit (typically the date on which the required spend is met, which may fall in the middle of a billing cycle). All stays must be completed by the expiration date.
When I view my free-night awards, why is the button to start the redemption/booking process missing?
You no longer need to go through the My Awards page to book a free-night cert. Simply start the booking process as if requesting an award stay using points.
When I try to book a multiple-night award stay, why does the Hyatt website show availability for points redemptions but not for Free Night Awards?
You will need to redeem the free-night certs one at a time in separate single-night reservations if you want to do it online. For example, if you want to book the Park Hyatt Sydney for December 14-16, you will book the night of the 14th to 15th as one stay, and then repeat the process for the night of the 15th to 16th. Otherwise, call Hyatt to make the booking.
If I can't use my free-night award by the expiration date, can I exchange it for points or get the expiration extended?
According to the FT Hyatt GP Concierge, as of January 22, 2016, there are 2 options for compensation for the initial (all-category) Free Night Awards:
  • Platinum guests: Hyatt offers 10,000 points per Award if the Member has had 5 eligible stays or 15 eligible nights in the previous 12 months. The 10,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
  • Diamond guests: Hyatt offers 20,000 points per Award if the Member has achieved Diamond status by achieving 25 stays or 50 nights or completing a trial tier offer within the last 12 months. The 20,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
These policies will reportedly remain in effect after the March 1, 2017 transition from Hyatt Gold Passport to the new World of Hyatt program.

Anniversary Awards valid in Category 1-4 hotels are not eligible for extension. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which allowed a one-time 30-day extension.)
Can I use the sign-up free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused free-night certificates?
No. Unused free-night awards remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.
Print Wikipost

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by cazic99
I am referring to the two free nights from the chase hyatt offer. I got the cards in dec 10, because I didn't plan on traveling until April 2012 so I waited to use the card until may 2011 so my two nights won't expire. I already paid my annual fee. So my one year is up in dec11, if I cancel, people seem to be saying they will take away my nights? Is this true? That would make no sense since I paid and fulfilled the terms of the offer?
Maybe someone else can answer since I don't have the card yet but I'm thinking it might be worth it to pay another annual fee to make sure they don't take away your free nights. You still come out ahead even if you pay $150 instead of $75.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, Delta, SPG Gold, Marriott Sil., Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, PC Platinum Ambassador
saving the nights

Originally Posted by cazic99
I am referring to the two free nights from the chase hyatt offer. I got the cards in dec 10, because I didn't plan on traveling until April 2012 so I waited to use the card until may 2011 so my two nights won't expire. I already paid my annual fee. So my one year is up in dec11, if I cancel, people seem to be saying they will take away my nights? Is this true? That would make no sense since I paid and fulfilled the terms of the offer?
I don't think this would make a difference. If you go into your account, your nights and suite upgrades are listed with the dates that they expire. I think it becomes an issue with Hyatt. If your dates expire sooner than you need them, call CS to see if they will extend them. Or....better yet...give them to me.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 5:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
Can you spend your way to Diamond status with this card? If so, how many points per year are required? Very interested in the current promo that is being offered. Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by trach500
Can you spend your way to Diamond status with this card?
AFAIK, this card does not have an option to spend your way to Diamond. The only way to get there with Hyatt is to "Check-In". It's a lofty goal that I won't make. The Platinum status given by the card was pretty easy to make without the card. I don't see it as much of a benefit.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by trach500
Can you spend your way to Diamond status with this card? If so, how many points per year are required? Very interested in the current promo that is being offered. Thanks for your help.
Yup - use the card to buy nights at hotels.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks for the info.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Required 90 day Account Opening Purchase

I did not read every post in this thread so ignore this if you already know about it.

Hyatt/Chase sent a letter which includes the statement:

IMPORTANT:

Please be sure to make a purchase or payment to your account within the first 90 days the account is opened or your account will be closed.
A call to Chase CSR yielded the answer that it is Chase's policy to close accounts that are not used to make a purchase within the first 90 days EVEN THOUGH THE USD$75.00 ANNUAL FEE HAS BEEN PAID. The annual fee payment does not count as a payment to your account.

The CSR that I spoke with stated that the 90 day stipulation is in the material that is sent once one is approved for the card. I pointed out that that is a bit late in the process for some people that don't intend on using the card within the first 90 days. And that that information should be provided up front before one applies for the card.

The reason that I care about this - I do not intend to use the Two Award Nights until late next year but I applied for the card earlier this year because I didn't know if the Two Award Nights would be always be a part of the deal. Since the Two Award Nights expire 1 year (365 days???) after award (and they are awarded after the first purchase), this would mean that I could not make last minute use of the Two Award Nights in my planned time frame of November 2012. Why last minute use if I know that I want to use them in November 2012? More often than not, my plans change due to issues that I can not control. So I end up having to change a reservation by a day or a week or so.

A call to [two other] Hyatt CSR yielded the response that the TWO AWARD NIGHTS CAN NOT BE BOOKED FOR STAYS OCCURRING AFTER THE EXPIRATION DATE OF THE TWO AWARD NIGHTS could be used to book nights after the expiration date AS LONG AS THOSE DATES ARE BOOKED BEFORE THE EXPIRATION DATE.

So, due to incomplete disclosure:
  • I have taken a hit on my credit report in applying for this card.
  • I have paid the annual fee.
  • I did not use the Hyatt Chase visa card for stays I have completed since receiving the card. A loss of 1,000's of potential HGP points.
  • I now have 2 days in which to make the "required" 90 day account opening purchase.
  • I may not WILL NOT be able to use the Two Award Nights at my convenience because of the "required" 90 day account opening purchase.
  • If I chose to book the Two Award Nights in November 2012 (as originally planned) I will most likely loose them when I have to make the last minute changes to my travel plans.

Just another case of Caveat Emptor.

Better disclosure would have avoided these issues.

NOTE: On 17 June 2011 a Chase CSR advised me that the 90 day required purchase or account closure "rule" is not a Chase rule but is due to the CARD Act that went into effect in February 2011.

Last edited by MIT_SBM; Jun 17, 2011 at 4:15 pm Reason: UPDATED: Another Hyatt CSR another more restrictive answer. Another update from another Chase CSR
Old Jun 17, 2011, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
IMHO, you should make the purchase, get the two free award nts & then book those nts -- even if you need to change them later!@:-)
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:27 am

Not true, if you pay the fee, they cannot close the account. I opened in December, paid fee in Jan, did not make purchase until June, got my nights with exp June 2012

QUOTE=MIT_SBM;16579681]I did not read every post in this thread so ignore this if you already know about it.

Hyatt/Chase sent a letter which includes the statement:

A call to Chase CSR yielded the answer that it is Chase's policy to close accounts that are not used to make a purchase within the first 90 days EVEN THOUGH THE USD$75.00 ANNUAL FEE HAS BEEN PAID. The annual fee payment does not count as a payment to your account.

The CSR that I spoke with stated that the 90 day stipulation is in the material that is sent once one is approved for the card. I pointed out that that is a bit late in the process for some people that don't intend on using the card within the first 90 days. And that that information should be provided up front before one applies for the card.

The reason that I care about this - I do not intend to use the Two Award Nights until late next year but I applied for the card earlier this year because I didn't know if the Two Award Nights would be always be a part of the deal. Since the Two Award Nights expire 1 year (365 days???) after award (and they are awarded after the first purchase), this would mean that I could not make last minute use of the Two Award Nights in my planned time frame of November 2012. Why last minute use if I know that I want to use them in November 2012? More often than not, my plans change due to issues that I can not control. So I end up having to change a reservation by a day or a week or so.

A call to [two other] Hyatt CSR yielded the response that the TWO AWARD NIGHTS CAN NOT BE BOOKED FOR STAYS OCCURRING AFTER THE EXPIRATION DATE OF THE TWO AWARD NIGHTS could be used to book nights after the expiration date AS LONG AS THOSE DATES ARE BOOKED BEFORE THE EXPIRATION DATE.

So, due to incomplete disclosure:
  • I have taken a hit on my credit report in applying for this card.
  • I have paid the annual fee.
  • I did not use the Hyatt Chase visa card for stays I have completed since receiving the card. A loss of 1,000's of potential HGP points.
  • I now have 2 days in which to make the "required" 90 day account opening purchase.
  • I may not WILL NOT be able to use the Two Award Nights at my convenience because of the "required" 90 day account opening purchase.
  • If I chose to book the Two Award Nights in November 2012 (as originally planned) I will most likely loose them when I have to make the last minute changes to my travel plans.

Just another case of Caveat Emptor.

Better disclosure would have avoided these issues.

NOTE: On 17 June 2011 a Chase CSR advised me that the 90 day required purchase or account closure "rule" is not a Chase rule but is due to the CARD Act that went into effect in February 2011.[/QUOTE]
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:35 pm

Vancouver Hyatt Regency - what are standard rooms

I have received the two free nights in conjunction with the Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase. I want to use them at the Hyatt Regency in Vancouver in September. When I called a month ago to make reservations, I was told that the hotel was completely sold out due to a convention and a wedding. This evening, I checked the hotel website and saw that there was availability. I called Hyatt reservations. I was told that the two free nights could only be used to book "standard" rooms.

I understand from another post on this thread that if the rooms are described as "view," "balcony," "club," "preferred," or anything else that sounds more than standard, they are not standard. However, on the website for the dates that I want, there are rooms available that appear to be "standard." They are described as "1 king bed" or "2 double bed." The rate plan is "Welcome Credit."

Do these rooms not qualify? If not, then what does?

TIA for any advice/help you can give me.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:56 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Bbstx, I too was considering traveling to Vancouver for the Fringe this Sep. I believe that the 1 King & the 2 Doubles are the Standard Rooms, but perhaps they must be available at
the Hyatt Daily Rate. The Welcome Credit rate is non-refundable, so perhaps they want to make sure everyone actually comes as they have reserved.
For arrivals Sep. 7 they are available thru Sep. 11, perhaps 12, but when I asked for Sep. 8 arrival, no-go!
Last I checked, there is also availability in Sep. 14--out Sep. 17.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by bbstx
Do these rooms not qualify? If not, then what does?
I'd try calling Hyatt Gold Passport again, as One King/Two Double is the lowest category listed on the website. Tell them the nights are available on the website and should therefore be available as award redemptions. If you still get pushback, PM the Gold Passport Concierge here on FT for confirmation. They helped me open up a night at the GH Kauai last summer in a similar situation. Garden View was available under "Aloha Rate" but not "Hyatt.com Daily Rate". Once they made it available under "Hyatt.com Daily Rate" I could use the website to reserve my award.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:30 am

Do the 2 free nights in a "standard room" mean only the lowest category room? I was hoping to get the card and use the nights at the Park Hyatt Paris. They've got rooms available for a Park Deluxe King but I saw on their website that they also have a lower category/lower priced Park Queen room. I wasn't sure if I'd be stuck with the Queen room, or if I could get the Deluxe King room. I was hoping that "standard" excludes suites but allows nicer non- suite rooms. Has anyone had luck using their certificates for anything other than the lowest category room?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:53 pm

As suggested, I made another run at Hyatt reservations. I explained that there were standard rooms available on their website (1 King or 2 Dbl) and asked if they would book them for me. The rez agent, who was very nice and very patient, said that yes, there were standard rooms available. But the hotel was within 1% of being fully booked on the dates that I requested. Therefore, they would not honor the free rooms offer. I pointed out that the T&C did not reference any capacity restrictions; that it was advertised as "anytime, anywhere." He agreed that was true, but that the system would not allow him to make the reservations because they were near capacity. He tried to find where the T&C covered this situation, but he could not.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 3:49 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
It looks like Chase is still considering how it's going to change this card. I just received a call from a marketing firm that is holding 1 hour focus groups for cardmembers later this month on the card. Although there is cash compensation for participating, I signed up mostly because I am curious to see what things Chase is considering. Will report back after...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.