Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
This version of the Hyatt card (with its 2 free nights offer) has been discontinued as of June 29, 2017.

There is a new version.

See this thread
:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ed-2018-a.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

What are the benefits of the card?
  • 3 points/dollar spent at Hyatt
  • 2 points per dollar spent at restaurants, airfare, car rental
  • 1 point for all other charges
  • No foreign exchange fee
  • Annually, on renewal, one free night at up to a category 4 hotel and is valid for 12 months
When will I receive the sign up bonus?
Typically a day or two after the close of the billing cycle in which you reach spend threshold.
When do the signup points from this card offer expire?
If you have no activity on your Hyatt account for 24 months your points will expire.
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.
It's a Chase Card. Does that mean that if I have more than 5 new open lines of credit in 24 months, I will be automatically denied?
This card is not currently under the 5 cards in 24 months Chase application restriction.
It looks like the Hyatt website will let me use my anniversary category 1-4 cert for any property, including those above category 4. Is this for real?
No. Even if the system accepts your attempted reservation, the property will not honor the cert at check-in. Accept the fact that your cat 4 cert is just that.
Can I use my anniversary category 1-4 cert at a higher-category property with a cash co-pay? By paying the difference in points? By asking nicely?
No. No. No.
Can I use my annual free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused points or annual free-night certificate?
No. Unused points already in your Hyatt account as well as the annual free-night award remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.

Questions related to the (now expired) 2 Free Night card offer:

When do the signup bonus free-night awards for this card expire?
The awards expire one year from the date of deposit (typically the date on which the required spend is met, which may fall in the middle of a billing cycle). All stays must be completed by the expiration date.
When I view my free-night awards, why is the button to start the redemption/booking process missing?
You no longer need to go through the My Awards page to book a free-night cert. Simply start the booking process as if requesting an award stay using points.
When I try to book a multiple-night award stay, why does the Hyatt website show availability for points redemptions but not for Free Night Awards?
You will need to redeem the free-night certs one at a time in separate single-night reservations if you want to do it online. For example, if you want to book the Park Hyatt Sydney for December 14-16, you will book the night of the 14th to 15th as one stay, and then repeat the process for the night of the 15th to 16th. Otherwise, call Hyatt to make the booking.
If I can't use my free-night award by the expiration date, can I exchange it for points or get the expiration extended?
According to the FT Hyatt GP Concierge, as of January 22, 2016, there are 2 options for compensation for the initial (all-category) Free Night Awards:
  • Platinum guests: Hyatt offers 10,000 points per Award if the Member has had 5 eligible stays or 15 eligible nights in the previous 12 months. The 10,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
  • Diamond guests: Hyatt offers 20,000 points per Award if the Member has achieved Diamond status by achieving 25 stays or 50 nights or completing a trial tier offer within the last 12 months. The 20,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
These policies will reportedly remain in effect after the March 1, 2017 transition from Hyatt Gold Passport to the new World of Hyatt program.

Anniversary Awards valid in Category 1-4 hotels are not eligible for extension. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which allowed a one-time 30-day extension.)
Can I use the sign-up free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused free-night certificates?
No. Unused free-night awards remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.
Print Wikipost

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2011, 3:44 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I just received a phone call from a marketing company doing a survey for the Chase Hyatt Card. I actually found the phone call odd, as I am sure most people would prefer to do surveys online. Also, the survey was quite long (it took almost 20 minutes)... I only agreed to do it because I thought it might give some insights into what Chase and Hyatt are planning for the card in the future, particularly with regard to any incentives for renewal.

Indeed, I was asked to give my preference for each of the following. (I know some other FTers took an online survey a few weeks back, and I believe most of these options were in the survey they took.)

- 15k bonus points for spending $15k in 6 months
- Cat 1-5 free night for spending $15k in 6 months
- 5k bonus points for using the card every day for a month (up to 15k bonus points per year)
- Cat 1-4 free night given on the card anniversary date
- Club upgrade certificate to be applied to a paid stay, given on the card anniversary date
- Either 2,500 or 5,000 bonus points in conjunction with existing GP promotions (this is what they are offering right now with the current promotion)
- Access to special events hosted by Hyatt such as wine tastings

The take-away from this is that it's nice to know that Chase and Hyatt are considering incentives for renewing the card.

EDITED TO ADD: I see that someone else beat me to it! I wonder how many people they are reaching out to this week on this...
Old May 11, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
Originally Posted by Brendan
I just got a phone call from TRC Market Research @ 1-800-552-9841, who was taking a Hyatt Visa satisfaction survey. She went on & on for over 18 minutes when I hung up due to an appointment of mine. I gave ratings of 8--9--10 or Very to Extremely Satisfied on almost everything. Finally she asked me which bonuses would induce me to use the card more, such as 15K points or a free Cat. 5 night for $15K spend within 6 months; a free Cat. 4 night for keeping the card another year, 5K for using the card every day for a month; 5K points for something or other, etc. I said some degree of YES to most of them.
So I take this as a hopeful sign that Chase seriously contemplating a bonus offer !
I got the same call last night, I asked how long the survey would take and was assured it would be no more than 3-5 minutes but it went over 15 minutes, so I cut it short. The survey was way too long and repetitive, the surveyor could not pronounce Hyatt and kept fumbling over the name. I imagine only the hardiest Hyatt aficionados would make it to the end of the survey. Some of the options to renew the card were funny IMHO, 5000 points to use the card everyday for 30 days. I found the other renewal options confusing, my person asked if a free cat 1 or 5 night would be a good reason to renew. I asked cat 1 or 5?, but he didn't know the answer?? I suspect it was cat 1-5 but that suggests that the nicest cat 6 would not be offered. Clearly they are wondering what to offer so that people will renew but the survey results will be difficult to interpret if people are hanging up early or not understanding the questions asked.
Old May 11, 2011, 9:32 pm

A free night up to Cat 5 on anniversary would be nice. No question about stay/night credit huh?

I wonder if they'll implement more than one of the choices.
Old May 12, 2011, 12:17 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Called the other day to cancel the account...no pushback, no retention bonuses, no refund/proration of annual fee. I asked about reallocation of credit lines since this card came with an extraordinarily high limit (compared to my Chase Amazon card) but he said lines could not be reallocated between cobranded cards (i.e. Hyatt to Amazon)
Old May 12, 2011, 1:57 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Still no Visa Card for Europe

Still no card for residents in Europe, still no bonus, still no free nights, still no bonus for renewing...and properties getting full with those award nights and closing inventory for points awards....Can I suggest to have a special Nights after Nights promotion just for non U.S. residents ? After reading here what is going on at the Palace/Park Vendôme, don't think for a second that I will book a room at 700 euros +
Old May 12, 2011, 2:01 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Called the other day to cancel the account...no pushback, no retention bonuses, no refund/proration of annual fee. I asked about reallocation of credit lines since this card came with an extraordinarily high limit (compared to my Chase Amazon card) but he said lines could not be reallocated between cobranded cards (i.e. Hyatt to Amazon)
FWIW, I was recently denied for a CO card. When I called Chase, they were happy to take credit from my WN card and issue the CO card.
Old May 12, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, & PC
So I haven't applied for the card yet, and wanted to apply before the spring promo ends (June 30th) to get the additional 5,000 pts.

With the rumors that Hyatt & Chase will be adding additional perks with the 1 year anniv. coming up, should I wait to apply for the card?

I am plantium member already so I will receive 2 free nights, and 2 suite upgrades when I apply.
Old May 12, 2011, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by devastor
So I haven't applied for the card yet, and wanted to apply before the spring promo ends (June 30th) to get the additional 5,000 pts.

With the rumors that Hyatt & Chase will be adding additional perks with the 1 year anniv. coming up, should I wait to apply for the card?

I am plantium member already so I will receive 2 free nights, and 2 suite upgrades when I apply.
Any anniversary perks that come out will not apply to you since you'll be a new card member. On the other hand, if any non-anniversary related perks are added after you become a card member, you should still be entitled to them.

I don't think there's really any advantage if you wait, especially if you want to combine the Q2 and CC promo. Time is running out. If you apply today, it may take a couple of weeks to get the card. By then it'll be the beginning of June and you'll only have a month to squeeze in your stays/nights. I'm not sure if that's a problem for you or not, but it's something to consider.
Old May 12, 2011, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, & PC
Originally Posted by kenbo
Any anniversary perks that come out will not apply to you since you'll be a new card member. On the other hand, if any non-anniversary related perks are added after you become a card member, you should still be entitled to them.

I don't think there's really any advantage if you wait, especially if you want to combine the Q2 and CC promo. Time is running out. If you apply today, it may take a couple of weeks to get the card. By then it'll be the beginning of June and you'll only have a month to squeeze in your stays/nights. I'm not sure if that's a problem for you or not, but it's something to consider.
Thanks kenbo for the response. In the Q2 promo thread, people have stated that as long as you get your 5 nights in, and you sign up for the card and use it before June 30th (end of Q2 promo), you will get the 5,000 bonus pts.

I agree no point in waiting.
Old May 12, 2011, 4:15 pm

Well, without adding some perks and bonuses, I predict they will see a massive reduction in card holders after the first year starts rolling around. I mean, most of us got it to spend $75 for 2 suite nights.....thank you PH Zurich .

However, compared to other cards like the Priority Club/IHG Visa, this card is trash. For $75 a year, the Hyatt card (after the first year) gives nothing. It gives 3ppd at Hyatts and 1ppd for other stuff, which is definitely inferior in value to a few other cards. Also, other than the 5k bonus for the first 5 nights in the current promo, we have seen nothing else.

Now, when IHG brings a card to the table that gives 10ppd at IHG properties (roughly the same value to me as 3 Hyatt ppd), AND a Free night certificate good at ANY IHG property every year on your anniversary, PLUS a 10% point rebate when you redeem points, PLUS gold status (ok that is worthless), and some other minor benefits all for $49 a year, you have to ask why the huge discrepancy.

Both cards have no forex which is nice, but for a 50% higher annual fee, Hyatt has to step it up. Especially considering you have to pay it upfront for Hyatt and IHG waives it for the first year and still gives as many as 80k points for signing up (2 free nights at ANY IHG, which can be extremely expensive/valuable...Bora Bora, Paris LeGrand, Hong Kong etc).
Old May 12, 2011, 4:17 pm

Thanks kenbo for the response. In the Q2 promo thread, people have stated that as long as you get your 5 nights in, and you sign up for the card and use it before June 30th (end of Q2 promo), you will get the 5,000 bonus pts.

I agree no point in waiting.
Almost tempted to MR 5 one night stays since I need the stays, but at $105 a/i being my cheapest rate available, it just isn't worth it. $525 for 15k plus 2.5k in amenity and 2.2k in diamond/cc spend points is not worth $525 to me. It IS damn close though.
Old May 12, 2011, 5:14 pm

So the new offer is 2 free nights anywhere and 5000 pts? Is there a special link for this as Im not seeing that offer.

Thanks
Old May 12, 2011, 5:46 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flyer4512
So the new offer is 2 free nights anywhere and 5000 pts? Is there a special link for this as Im not seeing that offer.

Thanks
The 5000 points is part of the current "Possibilities" promo, running through 30 June. You get 10K bonus points after 5 nights and Hyatt CC holders get an additional 5K points.
Old May 12, 2011, 7:12 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
transfer two free nights?

Originally Posted by ddfr
Originally Posted by ddfr
Furthermore, I was wondering, if they are not transferrable and we booked a trip with this family member's two nights as part of the reservation, how would anyone really know unless they did a bedcheck!!!!

When you check in, often you will need to explain to the front desk agent that the first 2 nights are under your name and the next two is under so and so's name and have them combine the reservations even if you had this done by a Hyatt phone agent. At that time, the front desk agent may ask for the id of this other person and sometimes not as I checked in recently in Waikiki and they did not ask. YMMV. The risk is that they do ask and when you can't produce the person with id, they do not have to honor that part of the reservation.
Hey all,

does anyone know if it is officially ok to transfer my two free suite nights (earned as a result of getting approved for the card), to someone else?

-
Old May 12, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Hey all,

does anyone know if it is officially ok to transfer my two free suite nights (earned as a result of getting approved for the card), to someone else?

-
Officially per the T&Cs this is NOT OK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.