Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
This version of the Hyatt card (with its 2 free nights offer) has been discontinued as of June 29, 2017.

There is a new version.

See this thread
:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ed-2018-a.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

What are the benefits of the card?
  • 3 points/dollar spent at Hyatt
  • 2 points per dollar spent at restaurants, airfare, car rental
  • 1 point for all other charges
  • No foreign exchange fee
  • Annually, on renewal, one free night at up to a category 4 hotel and is valid for 12 months
When will I receive the sign up bonus?
Typically a day or two after the close of the billing cycle in which you reach spend threshold.
When do the signup points from this card offer expire?
If you have no activity on your Hyatt account for 24 months your points will expire.
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.
It's a Chase Card. Does that mean that if I have more than 5 new open lines of credit in 24 months, I will be automatically denied?
This card is not currently under the 5 cards in 24 months Chase application restriction.
It looks like the Hyatt website will let me use my anniversary category 1-4 cert for any property, including those above category 4. Is this for real?
No. Even if the system accepts your attempted reservation, the property will not honor the cert at check-in. Accept the fact that your cat 4 cert is just that.
Can I use my anniversary category 1-4 cert at a higher-category property with a cash co-pay? By paying the difference in points? By asking nicely?
No. No. No.
Can I use my annual free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused points or annual free-night certificate?
No. Unused points already in your Hyatt account as well as the annual free-night award remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.

Questions related to the (now expired) 2 Free Night card offer:

When do the signup bonus free-night awards for this card expire?
The awards expire one year from the date of deposit (typically the date on which the required spend is met, which may fall in the middle of a billing cycle). All stays must be completed by the expiration date.
When I view my free-night awards, why is the button to start the redemption/booking process missing?
You no longer need to go through the My Awards page to book a free-night cert. Simply start the booking process as if requesting an award stay using points.
When I try to book a multiple-night award stay, why does the Hyatt website show availability for points redemptions but not for Free Night Awards?
You will need to redeem the free-night certs one at a time in separate single-night reservations if you want to do it online. For example, if you want to book the Park Hyatt Sydney for December 14-16, you will book the night of the 14th to 15th as one stay, and then repeat the process for the night of the 15th to 16th. Otherwise, call Hyatt to make the booking.
If I can't use my free-night award by the expiration date, can I exchange it for points or get the expiration extended?
According to the FT Hyatt GP Concierge, as of January 22, 2016, there are 2 options for compensation for the initial (all-category) Free Night Awards:
  • Platinum guests: Hyatt offers 10,000 points per Award if the Member has had 5 eligible stays or 15 eligible nights in the previous 12 months. The 10,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
  • Diamond guests: Hyatt offers 20,000 points per Award if the Member has achieved Diamond status by achieving 25 stays or 50 nights or completing a trial tier offer within the last 12 months. The 20,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
These policies will reportedly remain in effect after the March 1, 2017 transition from Hyatt Gold Passport to the new World of Hyatt program.

Anniversary Awards valid in Category 1-4 hotels are not eligible for extension. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which allowed a one-time 30-day extension.)
Can I use the sign-up free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused free-night certificates?
No. Unused free-night awards remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.
Print Wikipost

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dw
I just received a phone call from a marketing company doing a survey for the Chase Hyatt Card. I actually found the phone call odd, as I am sure most people would prefer to do surveys online. Also, the survey was quite long (it took almost 20 minutes)... I only agreed to do it because I thought it might give some insights into what Chase and Hyatt are planning for the card in the future, particularly with regard to any incentives for renewal.

Indeed, I was asked to give my preference for each of the following. (I know some other FTers took an online survey a few weeks back, and I believe most of these options were in the survey they took.)

- 15k bonus points for spending $15k in 6 months
- Cat 1-5 free night for spending $15k in 6 months
- 5k bonus points for using the card every day for a month (up to 15k bonus points per year)
- Cat 1-4 free night given on the card anniversary date
- Club upgrade certificate to be applied to a paid stay, given on the card anniversary date
- Either 2,500 or 5,000 bonus points in conjunction with existing GP promotions (this is what they are offering right now with the current promotion)
- Access to special events hosted by Hyatt such as wine tastings
Most of these incentives wouldn't do it for me. The payoff isn't great enough for the dollars spent (incl. the $75 renewal fee). The only choices of possible interest are bonus points in conjunction with stays (but without requiring 5 stays in a quarter), or wine tastings if they are really special. If I know a Cat 4 is going to be $200 with no affiliation discounts available, I might consider that.
Old May 13, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by antonius66
Well, without adding some perks and bonuses, I predict they will see a massive reduction in card holders after the first year starts rolling around. I mean, most of us got it to spend $75 for 2 suite nights.....thank you PH Zurich .

However, compared to other cards like the Priority Club/IHG Visa, this card is trash. For $75 a year, the Hyatt card (after the first year) gives nothing. It gives 3ppd at Hyatts and 1ppd for other stuff, which is definitely inferior in value to a few other cards. Also, other than the 5k bonus for the first 5 nights in the current promo, we have seen nothing else.

Now, when IHG brings a card to the table that gives 10ppd at IHG properties (roughly the same value to me as 3 Hyatt ppd), AND a Free night certificate good at ANY IHG property every year on your anniversary, PLUS a 10% point rebate when you redeem points, PLUS gold status (ok that is worthless), and some other minor benefits all for $49 a year, you have to ask why the huge discrepancy.

Both cards have no forex which is nice, but for a 50% higher annual fee, Hyatt has to step it up. Especially considering you have to pay it upfront for Hyatt and IHG waives it for the first year and still gives as many as 80k points for signing up (2 free nights at ANY IHG, which can be extremely expensive/valuable...Bora Bora, Paris LeGrand, Hong Kong etc).
Yes the IHG card has no forex, but I recall it earns one lousy PC point per dollar spent except at IHG hotels. That's the worst rate of return around. The bonus points are OK, but that's about it.
Old May 13, 2011, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Explore
Yes the IHG card has no forex, but I recall it earns one lousy PC point per dollar spent except at IHG hotels. That's the worst rate of return around. The bonus points are OK, but that's about it.
You recall incorrectly.

http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/ihg/pcrofferspage260k

- Earn 5 points per $1 spent at all of our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on gas, groceries & dining
- Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all additional purchases
Old May 13, 2011, 2:09 pm

it seems that one really has to check points awarded with this card. Twice did I not automatically get 3 points for Andaz spend - once for food at Andaz Fifth Ave and once for lodging at Andaz London.
Old May 13, 2011, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Explore
Well, I don't know of too many people that keep just 1 card and use it for everything. I personally keep 1 card for gas/restaurants (3%), my IHG card for IHG spend, my Hyatt card, and another general purpose visa that is 2% cashback on everything. So I get at least 2% cash back for anything. I never use brand specific cards like the Hyatt/IHG card for "general" spend as it is always a terrible 1ppd. Granted 1 hyatt ppd is better than 1 ihg ppd, but still, the IHG card CRUSHES the Hyatt card in terms of value.
Old May 13, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Got the call from the survey company today. Was honest and told them they need a recurring yearly incentive.
Old May 14, 2011, 7:10 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Can anyone post the phone number, at least partially, e.g. 866-111-xxx, for the survey company ? I tend to screen calls from such numbers, but would like to respond to this survey.
Old May 14, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Skj, please see my Post #495 above.

IMO 1 Hyatt point ~= 2 PC ~=2 Marriott, therefore the Hyatt card earns as well everywhere as the other 2 do only at "double points merchants." If PC & Marriott started yielding 2 pp$ everywhere (except for 5 at their own hotels,) I would call all 3 cars equal on earnings, meaning that they would win or lose against each other on the bonuses.
The only stuff the PC card now has over the other 2 is "a Free night certificate good at ANY IHG property every year on your anniversary, PLUS a 10% point rebate when you redeem points." I grabbed one just to Crack my Case & to get 10% rebate on my CtC earnings!

Last edited by Brendan; May 14, 2011 at 9:31 am
Old May 14, 2011, 7:39 pm

Reservations

Hello,

My wife and I were just approved for this card. My question is this (and I apologize if it has been covered already): I will be traveling to London alone. Can I use my two free nights and also have my wife reserve in my name her two free nights? Our last names are different if that complicates things at all. Any tips would be appreciated!
Old May 14, 2011, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Buff_roach
Hello,

My wife and I were just approved for this card. My question is this (and I apologize if it has been covered already): I will be traveling to London alone. Can I use my two free nights and also have my wife reserve in my name her two free nights? Our last names are different if that complicates things at all. Any tips would be appreciated!
Unfortunately, the free nights are non-transferable so it won't work.
Old May 17, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by kenbo
Unfortunately, the free nights are non-transferable so it won't work.
I dont see why the cant book two nights and then his wife book two nights under her own name. They will get their 4 nights one way or another.
Old May 17, 2011, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Rizla
I dont see why the cant book two nights and then his wife book two nights under her own name. They will get their 4 nights one way or another.
The last names don't match and if the hotel asks for ID (many do) there will be a problem.

In general, you are probably correct, but not for this specific case.

-David
Old May 17, 2011, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
The last names don't match and if the hotel asks for ID (many do) there will be a problem.

In general, you are probably correct, but not for this specific case.

-David
Just add your name as the 2nd guest in the room (and add her name onto your res. to make it look good- so 4 nights look the same). Done this hundreds of times (bothers, uncles, cousins, and friends) and never had an issue.
Old May 18, 2011, 9:11 pm

Just an FYI on the chase card waiting period. I applied for the Hyatt card tonight after waiting 120 + days and got the well let you know reply.

I'm guessing I can call if I'm not approved and ask them to look at it again like I did with my United 50K Visa in January.

I just figured I would let others know, I don't need the two nights until March but wasn't sure when this offer would be pulled. I hope I'm not kicking myself in 2 weeks
Old May 19, 2011, 10:50 am

i applied 5/11 and still haven't heard...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.