Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
This version of the Hyatt card (with its 2 free nights offer) has been discontinued as of June 29, 2017.

There is a new version.

See this thread
:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ed-2018-a.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

What are the benefits of the card?
  • 3 points/dollar spent at Hyatt
  • 2 points per dollar spent at restaurants, airfare, car rental
  • 1 point for all other charges
  • No foreign exchange fee
  • Annually, on renewal, one free night at up to a category 4 hotel and is valid for 12 months
When will I receive the sign up bonus?
Typically a day or two after the close of the billing cycle in which you reach spend threshold.
When do the signup points from this card offer expire?
If you have no activity on your Hyatt account for 24 months your points will expire.
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.
It's a Chase Card. Does that mean that if I have more than 5 new open lines of credit in 24 months, I will be automatically denied?
This card is not currently under the 5 cards in 24 months Chase application restriction.
It looks like the Hyatt website will let me use my anniversary category 1-4 cert for any property, including those above category 4. Is this for real?
No. Even if the system accepts your attempted reservation, the property will not honor the cert at check-in. Accept the fact that your cat 4 cert is just that.
Can I use my anniversary category 1-4 cert at a higher-category property with a cash co-pay? By paying the difference in points? By asking nicely?
No. No. No.
Can I use my annual free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused points or annual free-night certificate?
No. Unused points already in your Hyatt account as well as the annual free-night award remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.

Questions related to the (now expired) 2 Free Night card offer:

When do the signup bonus free-night awards for this card expire?
The awards expire one year from the date of deposit (typically the date on which the required spend is met, which may fall in the middle of a billing cycle). All stays must be completed by the expiration date.
When I view my free-night awards, why is the button to start the redemption/booking process missing?
You no longer need to go through the My Awards page to book a free-night cert. Simply start the booking process as if requesting an award stay using points.
When I try to book a multiple-night award stay, why does the Hyatt website show availability for points redemptions but not for Free Night Awards?
You will need to redeem the free-night certs one at a time in separate single-night reservations if you want to do it online. For example, if you want to book the Park Hyatt Sydney for December 14-16, you will book the night of the 14th to 15th as one stay, and then repeat the process for the night of the 15th to 16th. Otherwise, call Hyatt to make the booking.
If I can't use my free-night award by the expiration date, can I exchange it for points or get the expiration extended?
According to the FT Hyatt GP Concierge, as of January 22, 2016, there are 2 options for compensation for the initial (all-category) Free Night Awards:
  • Platinum guests: Hyatt offers 10,000 points per Award if the Member has had 5 eligible stays or 15 eligible nights in the previous 12 months. The 10,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
  • Diamond guests: Hyatt offers 20,000 points per Award if the Member has achieved Diamond status by achieving 25 stays or 50 nights or completing a trial tier offer within the last 12 months. The 20,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
These policies will reportedly remain in effect after the March 1, 2017 transition from Hyatt Gold Passport to the new World of Hyatt program.

Anniversary Awards valid in Category 1-4 hotels are not eligible for extension. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which allowed a one-time 30-day extension.)
Can I use the sign-up free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused free-night certificates?
No. Unused free-night awards remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.
Print Wikipost

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by ssmatik
I'm going to guess you are out of luck. You could try consumer affairs as they seem to be the ones with the most pull in my experience.
On your anniversary you will get one more night at most properties that you could use.
Hi ssmatik - thanks for your reply!

Yes you are right I reached out to our very nice Hyatt Gold rep via PM but they were unable to assist me as well. Looks like there truly isn't a way around it. Maybe I will try writing a nice letter to Chase / Hyatt and perhaps they will do something for me (ok..wishful thinking). Once again, thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Maybe I'm mistaken, but do you have to use your free nights by the end of the first year, or do you just have to book it before the first year is over? In my case, I used a suite upgrade, and it showed up as used as soon as I called in to apply it, so I would think that the same would be the case for the free nights, though it probably would make them non-refundable in case plans do change.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:32 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by y2chen
Maybe I'm mistaken, but do you have to use your free nights by the end of the first year, or do you just have to book it before the first year is over? In my case, I used a suite upgrade, and it showed up as used as soon as I called in to apply it, so I would think that the same would be the case for the free nights, though it probably would make them non-refundable in case plans do change.
Not speaking directly of these Chase perks (I don't have the card) - but of Hyatt's promo nights (from FFN) and Suite upgrades (from Diamond Confirmed Suite Upgrades) - Hyatt has been strict about no extensions on the promo nights but lenient (due to the mechanics of not having any suite upgrades available for use early in the cycle) for suite upgrades.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:23 pm

I have already applied for and received the card but realized I will likely make Platinum in the next month (honeymoon.) If I haven't charged anything to the card yet, does anyone know if I will still qualify to the 2 suite certificates when I make my first charges to the card? Or do they note your status at the time of applying and lock in your sign up reward type?

Thanks!

Last edited by c0ldlimit; Sep 6, 2011 at 2:00 pm
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by c0ldlimit
I have already applied for and received the card but realized I will likely make Platinum in the next month (honeymoon.) If I haven't charged anything to the card yet, does anyone know if I will still qualify to the 2 suite certificates when I make my first charges to the card? Or do they note your status at the time of applying and lock in your sign up reward type?

Thanks!
I thought the suites was Diamond only?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:07 pm

My understanding is that Platinum's get 2 suite upgrade certificates. I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Originally Posted by ainternational
I thought the suites was Diamond only?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by c0ldlimit
My understanding is that Platinum's get 2 suite upgrade certificates. I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread.
I see earlier in the thread it said Diamonds only. They says it included Platinum. Interesting.

Anyways, for your situation, I'd definitely call Chase and Hyatt and ask what they can do for you.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
The current Hyatt Platinum members get two free nights plus two suite upgrades (for paid stays up to 7 days each). The current Hyatt Diamond members get two free suite nights.

Originally Posted by ainternational
I see earlier in the thread it said Diamonds only. They says it included Platinum. Interesting.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by leonard016
The current Hyatt Platinum members get two free nights plus two suite upgrades (for paid stays up to 7 days each). The current Hyatt Diamond members get two free suite nights.
Well, I'll be damned. That means Plat's are getting two free nights plus two Diamond Suite Upgrade certs. I actually think that's a MUCH better value than two free suite nights for Diamonds since it applies to stays up to 7 nights. Perhaps that's because I am mainly traveling to Hyatt's on paid business.

I continue to feel that Hyatt is embracing low and mid tier much better than their top elites these days.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:14 am

Got this in the e-mail today...

WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR CONTINUED LOYALTY AS A HYATT CREDIT CARDMEMBER.
That's why we're excited to host you and a guest for an exclusive evening to experience the Design for a Living World exhibit at The Field Museum.

JOIN US OCTOBER 4th FROM 6:30 - 9:30 P.M. IN THE EAST ATRIUM AS WE CELEBRATE YOU.
* Enjoy private, docent-led tours of this unique exhibition
* Gain insight from one of its designers
* Mix and mingle in a cocktail-party atmosphere

This exclusive event is the first of its kind, and one of our newest benefits that has been extended to our most valued Cardmembers.

If you have already responded to this offer,
we look forward to seeing you.

The Field Museum | 1400 S. Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60605
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by mreplus

That's why we're excited to host you and a guest for an exclusive evening to experience the Design for a Living World exhibit at The Field Museum.

JOIN US OCTOBER 4th FROM 6:30 - 9:30 P.M. IN THE EAST ATRIUM AS WE CELEBRATE YOU.

This exclusive event is the first of its kind, and one of our newest benefits that has been extended to our most valued Cardmembers.

Very nice. Good venue as well. Hope they begin to do things like this in other cities such as SFO. I assume they chose Chicago as it's their HQ. Probably going to be an exec schmooze fest.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Is your home address in the Chicago area ?

More importantly, will Hyatt give a stay credit for checking in at this thing?

Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by 4aks

You must be kidding...!
Old Sep 8, 2011, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by 4aks
Is your home address in the Chicago area ?

My home address is in the City of Chicago, yes. Also, a note on the sidebar of the e-mail said only 50 invitations would be given out, so that was surprising.

I got the card a year ago and became something of a fanatic about putting every possible ounce of spend on it. About 6 stays in the past year (PH Tokyo, Hyatt Maui, GH San Fran, PH WDC, PH Buenos Aires, Hyatt Irvine) -- I am not a business traveler, but my Hyatt spend is considerable and my overall spend on the card is very high.

My travel patterns make me wish revenue or card spend could be a factor for something like Diamond...
Old Sep 8, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
My home address is in the City of Chicago, yes. Also, a note on the sidebar of the e-mail said only 50 invitations would be given out, so that was surprising.

I got the card a year ago and became something of a fanatic about putting every possible ounce of spend on it. About 6 stays in the past year (PH Tokyo, Hyatt Maui, GH San Fran, PH WDC, PH Buenos Aires, Hyatt Irvine) -- I am not a business traveler, but my Hyatt spend is considerable and my overall spend on the card is very high.

My travel patterns make me wish revenue or card spend could be a factor for something like Diamond...
Maybe you can just pay an assistant to arrange some 5-minute mattress runs for you at the local ultra-cheap hyatt properties -- sounds like something along those lines might be worthwhile in providing an extra level of service for your leisure stays (and accumulate some loyalty bonuses)

And my guess is Hyatt only knows of your non-Hyatt spend via the points being transferred from Chase ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.