Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:18 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by rogo
A Four Points is fine. We don't here call a Four Points a Sheraton, it's just a language thing.

The Grand Hyatt in Manhattan is a dump on the order of the Sheraton in Manhattan.

Avoid.
I know that the Grand Hyatt New York has always had a gruff and rough around the edges reputation.
The upgrades typically lack luster
However when you create a good relationship with the hotel they could at their discretion upgrade to some of the vip suites which are outstanding
some with Duxianna Beds (one of the best kept secrets)
Even some that work there are unaware of the luxury beds in these non confirmable in advance luxury suites. I’ve never seen them for sale
Through the years the hotel generously upgraded when they could but it was always last minute seat of your pants kind of thing
I actually like those suites better than the newer more elegant Park Hyatt New York
having said that the service could always be all over the map and that can test anyone’s patience
Old Jun 25, 2021, 6:35 pm

anyone have an email for the andaz? I'm trying to get an answer to something and the info@... isn't getting a response. PM me!
Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Breakfast from my understanding is the highest profit margin meal yet hotels want to overly monetize it even to elites
now who create the lion’s share of profits to the chain
who had in some cases a more reasonable promise historically to the guest.Be interested to hear what Gary Leff thinks about these changes
Granted some have expense accounts.During the financial blood bath during Covid hotels and airlines are now looking to cut
just about every cost they can attack from breakfast costs to housekeeping and energy costs
I get to their defense it’s a long road back but I also believe they haven’t gotten creative with it as opposed to just cutting back customer expectations
The end results in some hotels you wake up in the middle of the night sweating form their cutting back the energy/ thermostat
and little to no housekeeping and closed or limited dining/restaurants.Many jobs will not be coming back sadly.
Hotel companies seem to believe they can turn almost every property into limited service properties
As I continue to experience some disappointing stay experiences in properties in & out of Hyatt hotels
Have less desire to resume my personal volume of business anytime soon.I see my hotel night volume of nights going forward to a tenth of what they once were for today

Just the thought of airline rewards and hotel night awards being static now any amount the corporation feels like charging
and the upcoming seasonal awards @ WOH soon to be rolling out after delays etc
All of that will keep me away plenty as well as reduced breakfast benefits and quality standards.
I’ve lost my passion for traveling when there isn't a joyous hospitable experience and a great breakfast to wake up to.
Happy to stay home where I have beautiful views and a luxury kitchen I can create a great experience I wish for the most part.

In particular Andaz 5th Ave the breakfast was 60% of my reason to stay there in the past despite liking the property reasonably.
However it isn’t a soundproof 5 star property just a nice lifestyle property
The reality is I can buy a room anywhere happily for a fraction of their 25k /400 dollar ADR plus taxes etc
Last I stayed @ Andaz 5th just over a year ago they told me no more Splash suite upgrades
(though they originally confirmed such they tried to renege on their promise ☹
I booked a brand new Sheraton in Midtown next month for 94 dollars and The Bernic (also looks new) @ 129 per night on the East side
(which appears to have very high ratings in the reviews)
The InterCon Times Square and the remaining nights @ Park Hyatt of course much higher then all of them
When I go luxury I expect to pay a premium and get a premium experience but there are great hotels 3 and 4 star for a lot less
and I prefer to pay the premium when they can deliver on all or most fronts
I know that your disappointed with a full hot breakfast disappearing across the hotel industry but there is nothing we can say that will change that fact at this point. Grab and go's and lower meal credits for the most part are here to stay, it is what it is. Things change and the pandemic was a good excuse for the hotel industry to cut costs moving forward, although it doesn’t mean that being a Globalist doesn't still offer a ton of value. It's just not as good as it was......c'est la vie.

Last edited by Tonyr4; Jun 25, 2021 at 7:39 pm
Old Sep 18, 2021, 6:35 am

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Restaurant has reopened as of September 16.

Checked in yesterday and was given the option of in room dining or the restaurant for breakfast.
beachfan, ryandc99 and Kacee like this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JAeX
Restaurant has reopened as of September 16.

Checked in yesterday and was given the option of in room dining or the restaurant for breakfast.
Good news! If you partake, please let us know how it is.

Rates here are currently in the $600 range for my dates . . . don't think this property is worth that (though open restaurant certainly improves the appeal). It does seem that quite a few NYC properties have adopted the Wailea approach, i.e., jacked up their rates regardless of occupancy.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Good news! If you partake, please let us know how it is.

Rates here are currently in the $600 range for my dates . . . don't think this property is worth that (though open restaurant certainly improves the appeal). It does seem that quite a few NYC properties have adopted the Wailea approach, i.e., jacked up their rates regardless of occupancy.
Opted for breakfast in the restaurant which was on the C level (basement). A few years back they had the restaurant on the same level as check-in, miss that space.

Food and service were good, went with the lemon ricotta pancakes which never disappoint.
Kacee likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 7:19 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JAeX
Opted for breakfast in the restaurant which was on the C level (basement). A few years back they had the restaurant on the same level as check-in, miss that space.
Especially since that space has been repurposed as . . . nothing.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 7:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; AA Platinum Pro; Marriott Platinum
Here this weekend. Checked in and no recognition of status. Asked about a globalist upgrade, told they were “sold out” 🤔, but every room type and suite was available in the app. Didn’t push it as I’m running around the city.

Checking out in a bit. Opted for the in-room dining and got the lemon ricotta pancakes. Room service was efficient and overall solid.

Occupancy is low, but rates are high as others have mentioned. If I didn’t need these nights to hit a milestone, don’t know if I would have stayed here - some better options in midtown at this price point for sure.
ryandc99 and WasKnown like this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by DCADavis
Here this weekend. Checked in and no recognition of status. Asked about a globalist upgrade, told they were “sold out” 🤔, but every room type and suite was available in the app.
Things haven't changed here since 2015 then.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah any Marriott with a rating under 4.0 is an automatic "avoid."

I think though the broader point is that with cash rates >$400 per night, Andaz 5th may not be competitive. At that price, I would seriously consider FHR at the Langham, where rooms usually start in the $500s.
Here this weekend. Checked in and no recognition of status. Asked about a globalist upgrade, told they were “sold out” 🤔, but every room type and suite was available in the app. Didn’t push it as I’m running around the city.

Checking out in a bit. Opted for the in-room dining and got the lemon ricotta pancakes. Room service was efficient and overall solid.

Occupancy is low, but rates are high as others have mentioned. If I didn’t need these nights to hit a milestone, don’t know if I would have stayed here - some better options in midtown at this price point for sure.
Curious at what price point would people consider this property to be a good value for a Globalist. People seem to consistently be slightly disappointed with the hotel
Old Sep 23, 2021, 7:22 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I really wish you had pushed them on the upgrade and their claim that the hotel was full. When properties get away with this nonsense, it just encourages them to continue the bad behavior. They have gotten an awful lot of guests from the Hyatt affiliation, so they should uphold their end of the contract. If they don't want to honor published Glob benefits, they should deflag.
TravelingChef and CodeAdam10 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Aeroplan 35k; Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I really wish you had pushed them on the upgrade and their claim that the hotel was full. When properties get away with this nonsense, it just encourages them to continue the bad behavior. They have gotten an awful lot of guests from the Hyatt affiliation, so they should uphold their end of the contract. If they don't want to honor published Glob benefits, they should deflag.
My thoughts exactly. Almost made the same post. I see a surprising number of, "The app was showing standard suites available but I didn't push it..." across numerous Hyatt property threads.

Drives me crazy because they should be called out on that every time and maybe, over time, they'll change their behavior.

Asking for a benefit that is clearly offered in the T&C doesn't make anyone pushy or an a-hole. At least part of how properties continue to get away with this stuff is because apparently plenty of Globalists just take it lying down.

I'm not looking for a fight or verbal showdown at the front desk over a suite, but if I'm checking in and there are standard suites for sale in the app and the front desk is saying otherwise, then I'm either going to need a real good explanation for the discrepancy or they're going to magically find a suite for me, which is usually what happens.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 9:35 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I saw this coming when the hotel got new owners and later the Splash suite no longer
could be confirmed as a standard suite
Was confirmed in a Splash suite right before the change and on arrival downgraded despite assurances
A total embarrassment when you have to explain it to your family member
After some awkward back and forth for hours I was able to get the original suite back but never returned

Also the current Lemon Pancakes don’t hold any resemblance at all to the culinary excellence they had achieved in the past
No comparison except in name.That’s what happens when you lose your chef and move your exceptional vibrant light filled restaurant to the basement as much as I hate to say it.The former pancakes were life changing in the way one experiences pancakes.Mind you I dislike all pancakes so that’s saying something!

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Sep 23, 2021 at 9:47 pm
Old Sep 23, 2021, 9:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
I avoided A5 a few years back after they tried to sell me an upgrade as a Globlist. The GH around the corner offered me upgrades without asking and the lounge is one of the most solid in the city and in the US.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by freckles123
Curious at what price point would people consider this property to be a good value for a Globalist. People seem to consistently be slightly disappointed with the hotel
Depends a bit on what the rates are elsewhere, but right now it would have to be in the sub-$300 range for me to consider a paid stay.

There are IMO much better options in the $500-700 range (which is where they're pricing now).
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.