Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2011, 3:25 pm

Wow. Thanks for all the great information about the suites. Are they in both towers or only one? And how's all the stuff at the "library?" The evening wine, coffee, snacks, and such. Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LATAM Comodoro, SPG PLT, WOH Globalist, *G, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by MarriottHotelsFan
Wow. Thanks for all the great information about the suites. Are they in both towers or only one? And how's all the stuff at the "library?" The evening wine, coffee, snacks, and such. Thanks.
The room is nice but not a huge space (it's NYC 5th Ave!). AFAIK there is only one building. The library-lounge serves free drinks (soda and wines), I didn't get snacks...but I didn't also spend too much time there. You can actually get a glass of wine and take it to your room (this was recommended by the staff who showed us the room, but I actually didn't do it).
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:12 pm

Oh, well the whole "switching elevators" thing makes me think their are two towers. And I thought I saw snacks, but it doesn't matter. Thank you. Can you call down to replenish mini-bar snacks or is it just daily?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:08 pm

I suppose I'm grappling with my own insecurities. I'd value any advice. PM may be best, but post here if you think it's appropriate (broader audience).

I've got three weeks booked at the Andaz 5th Avenue. I'm stepping outside my comfort zone if I go through with it. I spend heaps of time at the Grand Hyatt and like it fine. But change is good.

Considerations:
Lots of the appealing things about the Andaz won't do me much good. The wine (I don't drink), the breakfast (I need to be at work before breakfast is served - and I'm vegan, which limits my options), the snacks (I'm not much for snacks, and I seldom have my room made up, so they'd seldom be replenished).

I had an okay time at the Andaz West Hollywood, though I didn't fit in very well. I've talked myself into trying harder this time. But perhaps I'm just not an Andaz guy.

The Grand Hyatt is certainly the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at, aside from two enjoyable nights at the Park Hyatt, thanks to one of our board hosts. But, before my travel days end, I'd like to experience nicer, if only once.

I am booked into a Large Loft using the first Diamond Suite upgrade I've ever been able to use.

Final consideration: I suppose I've take a liking to the Andaz (conceptually) based on the General Manager's participation in this forum/thread.

Not a consideration; just a mention
Andaz costs more. I pay the $80/night or so out of my pocket. I really don't care. You only live once. Heck, I pay out of pocket for the Grand Hyatt.

Note:
Current plan is to check in and stay for three weeks and enjoy it. Period.
Back up plan, have an alternative reservation about a week into my stay, just in case Andaz isn't a great "fit" for me.

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; Jan 23, 2011 at 12:15 pm
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:13 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I think you'll be fine - the A 5th is not as "hip" as West Hollywood one - I think you're back up plan is a good idea in case you are "miserable" there - after some time to acclimate yourself before deciding if you want to stay there or move (and be able to cancel the unwanted reservation in time).
Old Jan 26, 2011, 2:34 pm

Noticed pics of the "Large Loft" earlier in this thread, but wondering if anyone has pictures / could describe the "Andaz Suite," (other u/g choice).

Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
The Grand Hyatt is certainly the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at, aside from two enjoyable nights at the Park Hyatt, thanks to one of our board hosts.
The Grand Hyatt is the NICEST HOTEL you have EVER stayed at??

Well, I have stayed at both the Grand Hyatt and the Andaz 5th Avenue. There is NO comparison. The Grand Hyatt looks like a Motel 6 when you compare it with the Andaz. Certainly the teeny, tiny and old bathrooms at the Grand Hyatt cannot compare to the super large and luxurious bathrooms at Andaz. And the windows are huge at the Andaz when compared to the tiny windows at the Grand Hyatt. You won't see me at the Grand Hyatt again, but I will make every effort to return to the Andaz.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Oh, well the whole "switching elevators" thing makes me think their are two towers.
There are INDEED 2 towers within the same building.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Just stayed here last night for a one night stay. Was VERY lucky to be upgraded to a 2 BR corner suite with a balcony ^. Looked over 5th Ave as snow was coming down. The room was amazing. I can't recall a nicer room from my many yrs of travel. There was a large frig stocked to the gills with drinks. The Grand Hyatt is way outside A5's league. The restraunt was also very nice but I am bias to Wall&Water @ Andaz Wall St - I think WW offers better food and a more attentive staff. But you can't go wrong with this property.

I am now waiting to see what Hyatt Lex has to offer - i hope it opens soon with affordable intro rates.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Just stayed here last night for a one night stay. Was VERY lucky to be upgraded to a 2 BR corner suite with a balcony ^. Looked over 5th Ave as snow was coming down. The room was amazing. I can't recall a nicer room from my many yrs of travel. There was a large frig stocked to the gills with drinks. The Grand Hyatt is way outside A5's league. The restraunt was also very nice but I am bias to Wall&Water @ Andaz Wall St - I think WW offers better food and a more attentive staff. But you can't go wrong with this property.

I am now waiting to see what Hyatt Lex has to offer - i hope it opens soon with affordable intro rates.
Do you happen to have any pictures? I'm sure my wife and son won't have this suite, but it would give an idea of the suites vs. the lofts.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Do you happen to have any pictures? I'm sure my wife and son won't have this suite, but it would give an idea of the suites vs. the lofts.
As soon as I found out I've been upgraded to the 13th room level (there are 14), I kicked myself for not having my camera with me. I will bring it next time - maybe i'll get lucky again. The room description can be found here:

http://newyork.5thavenue.andaz.hyatt...cale=&start=13.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:26 am

I suppose I'm grappling with my own insecurities. I'd value any advice. PM may be best, but post here if you think it's appropriate (broader audience).

I've got three weeks booked at the Andaz 5th Avenue. I'm stepping outside my comfort zone if I go through with it. I spend heaps of time at the Grand Hyatt and like it fine. But change is good.

Considerations:
Lots of the appealing things about the Andaz won't do me much good. The wine (I don't drink), the breakfast (I need to be at work before breakfast is served - and I'm vegan, which limits my options), the snacks (I'm not much for snacks, and I seldom have my room made up, so they'd seldom be replenished).

I had an okay time at the Andaz West Hollywood, though I didn't fit in very well. I've talked myself into trying harder this time. But perhaps I'm just not an Andaz guy.

The Grand Hyatt is certainly the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at, aside from two enjoyable nights at the Park Hyatt, thanks to one of our board hosts. But, before my travel days end, I'd like to experience nicer, if only once.

I am booked into a Large Loft using the first Diamond Suite upgrade I've ever been able to use.

Final consideration: I suppose I've take a liking to the Andaz (conceptually) based on the General Manager's participation in this forum/thread.

Not a consideration; just a mention
Andaz costs more. I pay the $80/night or so out of my pocket. I really don't care. You only live once. Heck, I pay out of pocket for the Grand Hyatt.

Note:
Current plan is to check in and stay for three weeks and enjoy it. Period.
Back up plan, have an alternative reservation about a week into my stay, just in case Andaz isn't a great "fit" for me.
Update: Thanks to all who replied here or by private message as I wrestled with my apprehensions. I’m checked in and having a fabulous stay. There was a bit of confusion somewhere between the Andaz telephone service desk and the hotel, and I spent about eight minutes in a standard room (nice enough) before I decided to inquire about whether this was my Diamond suite certificate-upgraded room. Usually, I’ll just “let it go”, but this time I’m glad I didn’t. I was rewarded with a fantastic suite on the 14th floor, kitchenette and all. I found a vegan breakfast item or two (dry museli and roasted tomatoes) – perhaps my last restaurant visit due to the late opening hour – and embarked on my day, eager to return. So I'm feeling pretty confident that three weeks here won't be long enough. Back up reservations being cancelled as I type.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Update: Thanks to all who replied here or by private message as I wrestled with my apprehensions. I’m checked in and having a fabulous stay. There was a bit of confusion somewhere between the Andaz telephone service desk and the hotel, and I spent about eight minutes in a standard room (nice enough) before I decided to inquire about whether this was my Diamond suite certificate-upgraded room. Usually, I’ll just “let it go”, but this time I’m glad I didn’t. I was rewarded with a fantastic suite on the 14th floor, kitchenette and all. I found a vegan breakfast item or two (dry museli and roasted tomatoes) – perhaps my last restaurant visit due to the late opening hour – and embarked on my day, eager to return. So I'm feeling pretty confident that three weeks here won't be long enough. Back up reservations being cancelled as I type.
If you are going to be there 3 weeks straight, then you should definitely contact the GM (who has posted on this board in the past) and alert him of your lengthy stay.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
If you are going to be there 3 weeks straight, then you should definitely contact the GM (who has posted on this board in the past) and alert him of your lengthy stay.
I don't think there is anything he could do for me or I could do for him that isn't adequately being handled by his staff.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:42 pm

365RoadWarrior, could you take some pics of the suite and put them up? It'll help many of us, even cell phone pics. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.