Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:59 pm

Welcome back, Jonathan!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:05 pm

Programs: SPG*P, AA*1MM, UA*1P, Hilton*D, Hyatt*D, Sixt*P, Hertz*P, Avis*F, Delta*G
Originally Posted by bizjet
welcome back, jonathan!
+1, welcome back!!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:10 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pclee
+1, welcome back!!
+2

And FWIW I have absolutely no problems with the lighting, or controls, or chairs. All good with me.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by TINPA
+2

And FWIW I have absolutely no problems with the lighting, or controls, or chairs. All good with me.
+3 no problems with lighting controls either, Steve Jobs may have been consulted.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:16 pm

The good:.

- Excellent check-in process. Drinks were offered and we were told we have been upgraded to the Splashsuite
- We asked and we received breakfast while we waited for our room.
- Evening wine was a nice touch
- Complimentary mini bar, Fizzy Lizzy!
- We had an early morning 5AM departure. .We ordered room service breakfast and noted on the order to have the pastries packed for to go. .The delivery guy went out of his way to put our pastries in a zip lock bag so we can take them with us. .He told us it's the first time he ever done it. .May be Jonathan should look into this and offer to guests as a service?
- As Diamond, all of our breakfasts were comp'ed

The Disconnect:.

- Reading light in the bedroom is too dim. (I'm sure Jonathan has looked into this already)
- Pillows are a little too soft (but this just may be a personal preference)
- At check out we were told that our room (1213) is a loft instead of the Splashsuite (not sure what happened)

Originally Posted by imm2b
Just checked in...arrived early this morning, but the room(Splash Suite) was not ready, asked if we could have breakfast, host cheerfully said not a problem, after breakfast, took a stroll to Central Park, came back a few hours later and the room was ready. First impressions are very good, friendly host, nice breakfast, though a bit slow, but given the restaurant was almost at full capacity, it wasn't too bad, friendly waitress, unique and spacious suite(for NYC). I'll give the final report once checkout tomorrow.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:39 am

- Reading light in the bedroom is too dim. (I'm sure Jonathan has looked into this already)
- At check out we were told that our room (1213) is a loft instead of the Splashsuite (not sure what happened)

If it doesn`t have one already, the hotel should have a "pillow menu" offering alternate pillows to people who would rather have something different than the standard versions.

If you were confirmed in a Splash Suite, but got an "Andaz Loft" or "Large Loft" it looks like that was a substantial downgrade. In the case of a downgrade (or an upgrade for that matter) I would expect the hotel to inform me at check-in that I was not getting the category that was confirmed. If you were confirmed in a Splash Suite, you should have been upgraded rather than downgraded if a Splash Suite was not available.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:07 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Chase Ultimate Rewards
My partner and I just completed a stay at Andaz 5th Ave - 12/4-7. Experience was awesome all around.

Room - very nice large loft on 4th floor. Spacious with high ceilings and large windows, 2 TV's in HD for many channels, long deep couch to comfortably seat at least 4 adults, desk with 2 chairs, large walk-in shower with 2 shower heads, and double sinks. The closet was small, but we made the best of it. Mattress was comfortable, and with a couple extra pillows, we slept well.

Service - excellent. Check-in host, Loren, was friendly and perky even though we arrived very late (almost midnight). We were tired, and so we were very happy that check in took less than 5 minutes. Loren then walked us to our room, clearly explaining the history and lay out of the hotel. When we got to the room, he set up the luggage and then showed us the various highlights - light controls, automated shades, foot bath, mini bar, etc. He asked if there was anything we needed before leaving the room - nice touch.

Staff at this hotel is very friendly, professional, and helpful - saying hello/good morning/good evening when passing, addressing me by name or sir, rushing ahead of me to push the elevator call button when my hands were full, etc.

On a couple of (extremely chilly) evenings, we needed a cab and the person at the door kindly retrieved one from 5th Ave while we waited in the warm lobby.

Check out was quick and without a problem. No mistakes on the bill. Departing gifts were nice.

Food - We ordered room service every morning using the breakfast card which we left hanging on the door. Food arrived complete and on time every morning. Lemon poppy pancake was yummy.

Final thoughts - This is a great hotel, and we plan to stay here again when we return to Manhattan.

ERQ
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Just finished a 3-night stay. Comments from my first stay were more negative than positive. Much better experience this time.

- Since I figured out many of the quirks during my first stay, this stay was mich more pleasant
- Tons of hot water this time. However, I still would prefer a shower door. The shower area is so large, but once I move out of the stream of the hot water, it is too cold to move around (e.g., to sit on the bench and have a foot bath). Perhaps a shower door would trap some heat?
- Check-in and checkout were much, much faster this time.
- I haven't used the restaurant or room service on either visit, so I can't comment. However, room service breakfast for Diamonds is a nice perk, which I'll try next time.
- Pillows still too soft for my liking, but thanks to the earlier poster on special requests in this area, which I will try next time.

The Andaz is growing on me.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
If it doesn`t have one already, the hotel should have a "pillow menu" offering alternate pillows to people who would rather have something different than the standard versions.

If you were confirmed in a Splash Suite, but got an "Andaz Loft" or "Large Loft" it looks like that was a substantial downgrade. In the case of a downgrade (or an upgrade for that matter) I would expect the hotel to inform me at check-in that I was not getting the category that was confirmed. If you were confirmed in a Splash Suite, you should have been upgraded rather than downgraded if a Splash Suite was not available.
Thanks for the pillow menu info, I didn't realize that option.

As for the suite downgrade, yes we were confirmed with a suite from the Hyatt
Visa Diamond cert, but I'm not sure if it was the Splash Suite, I'd assume they upgraded us to the Splash Suite. Though, at check-in my host didn't say
anything about upgrade, he just said my I'm in Splash Suite and it wasn't
ready.

Since I didn't know what a Splash Suite looks like, I thought I got what I was told at check-in. In the end, I'm sastisfied with what what I got, however, it would have been nice to stay in this amazing suite that everyone is raving about.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:19 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

....Since I didn't know what a Splash Suite looks like, I thought I got what I was told at check-in. In the end, I'm satisfied with what what I got, however, it would have been nice to stay in this amazing suite that everyone is raving about.
Not everyone. Some of us were treated like you: put into a "large" regular room. The Splash Suite has a tub, I believe it's a jacuzzi. If you didn't have one, you weren't in the suite.

I suspect that most of the folks who find this hotel amazing do not regularly stay in luxury hotels. But, to paraphrase Craig Ferguson, I look forward to receiving your corrections.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:19 pm
Company Representative - Andaz 5th Avenue

Thanks for your great feedback imm2b.... look forward to welcoming you back soon.

The good:.

- Excellent check-in process. Drinks were offered and we were told we have been upgraded to the Splashsuite
- We asked and we received breakfast while we waited for our room.
- Evening wine was a nice touch
- Complimentary mini bar, Fizzy Lizzy!
- We had an early morning 5AM departure. .We ordered room service breakfast and noted on the order to have the pastries packed for to go. .The delivery guy went out of his way to put our pastries in a zip lock bag so we can take them with us. .He told us it's the first time he ever done it. .May be Jonathan should look into this and offer to guests as a service?
- As Diamond, all of our breakfasts were comp'ed

Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:20 pm
Company Representative - Andaz 5th Avenue

Hi CopperSteve... glad that you enjoyed your stay this time around. Hope to see you again soon.

Originally Posted by CopperSteve
Just finished a 3-night stay. Comments from my first stay were more negative than positive. Much better experience this time.

- Since I figured out many of the quirks during my first stay, this stay was mich more pleasant
- Tons of hot water this time. However, I still would prefer a shower door. The shower area is so large, but once I move out of the stream of the hot water, it is too cold to move around (e.g., to sit on the bench and have a foot bath). Perhaps a shower door would trap some heat?
- Check-in and checkout were much, much faster this time.
- I haven't used the restaurant or room service on either visit, so I can't comment. However, room service breakfast for Diamonds is a nice perk, which I'll try next time.
- Pillows still too soft for my liking, but thanks to the earlier poster on special requests in this area, which I will try next time.

The Andaz is growing on me.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:06 pm

Programs: SPG*P, AA*1MM, UA*1P, Hilton*D, Hyatt*D, Sixt*P, Hertz*P, Avis*F, Delta*G
As for the suite downgrade, yes we were confirmed with a suite from the Hyatt
Visa Diamond cert, but I'm not sure if it was the Splash Suite, I'd assume they upgraded us to the Splash Suite.
Hi Jonathan,
can you confirm the type of suite for diamond suite cert?
diamond line told me it is 'Large Loft'. however, i saw some people received 'Splash Suite'.

CONSISTENCY PLEASE............
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I suspect that most of the folks who find this hotel amazing do not regularly stay in luxury hotels. But, to paraphrase Craig Ferguson, I look forward to receiving your corrections.
Well... I love this hotel, and I do stay in luxury hotels, and others as well. I travel a lot. This (and the other Andazes) feel different to me than a luxury hotel and I enjoy the experience. It's nice to add to the mix. I also love some of the Ws I have stayed at, and some other boutique hotels, for all the same reasons. It's nice that there are choices for all of us!
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I like the change of pace to the typical PHs and the Andaz concept is a nice change for me.

I've stayed at a 1200 sq ft suite at PH BsAs, Suite at JW Marriott Lima, presidential suite at Aranwa Sacred Valley, 900 sq ft suite PH Saigon, Ana Mandara Nha Trang, El Tamarindo, The Ahimsa Bali, Westin Europa Venice, Hilton Cavaleri, Pulitzer Amsterdam, Hilton Berlin, Hilton Athens, IC Tokyo, Hilton Tokyo, Sheraton & Westin Bangkok, HR Hong Kong, GH Taipei, Conrad Singapore, Le Meridien Angor Wat, IC wellington, Westin Sydney, Westin Melbourne, Westin Auckland, Hilton Auckland, Westin Paris etc.....My list is probably pedestrian to yours and some of these are not considered luxury level, but to each its own.

Last edited by imm2b; Dec 10, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.