Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Great rate at this hotel, found in sticky promo thread. I returns a $266 rate on dates I'm looking at:
Smartly keep your siblings/ parents/ mistress out of your place, and book them in style at the Andaz 5th Ave; the hotel boasts 184 huge rooms plus the perfect spot to reconvene: the bar downstairs, which slings liquor made in “small batches”, also just about the right amount of time to spend with your siblings/ parents/ mistress. Now til 3/31, score 20% off by typing “THRILL” into the special offer section at andaz5thavenue.com or call and ask for the Thrillist rate.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by stevens397
Getting back to the original point, is there a room type that Diamonds booking a regular room can expect to be upgraded to, irrespective of whether it is a cash or award stay?
You should get upgraded to either the Andaz Xtra Large View King or Xtra Large View Twin. I've believe that this is one of those properties (like the Hyatt Waikiki) where the issue of Diamond guaranteed bed preference can get in the way of your upgrade. On two occasions when checking in and discussing upgrade options, the host has asked my preference, in both cases the twin rooms were the nicer rooms b/c they had views.

Last edited by bdemaria; Feb 12, 2011 at 4:40 am
Old Feb 12, 2011, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I would think very carefully before using a lot of points for a suite at this property. There have been a lot of complaints about the entry level "suites" (which is what your award would book into).

I would probably book a standard room, and be sure to book the free suite night for the night of your arrival. If you are lucky, they might just let you stay in the suite for the entire stay, without paying the extra points. If not, it`s no big deal because you`ll at lest get an upgraded room as a Diamond.

The Andaz Suite is only 48 square meters, and the "Large Loft" is a bit smaller- so a suite category would only be marginally larger than the rooms you should be upgraded to anyway as a Diamond- not worth forking over an extra 11k pts per night IMHO.
For some time the Loft was seemingly the only suite upgrade option. However, now that the remaining suites are completed, it is my experience that the suite upgrade options at this property are far improved.

I've used suite upgrades twice since January and both times rec'd excellent rooms, esp. earlier this week when we ended up in an Andaz Large Suite, w/a wall of windows directly overlooking the Library/5th avenue. Both the Andaz Suite and Large Suite have kitchenettes, separate living room and bedroom. The Large Suite includes an dining area between the kitchenette and living room. Our Large Suite didn't have a tub, only a shower.

My only complaints about this property:

#1: the oft discussed lighting, but for me it isn't the issue of reading light, it is the bathroom lighting. I had to carry the hand held mirror over to the windows in order to have adequate light to put on my lipstick.

#2: the mugs w/no handles. If they insist on remaining w/this "streamlined" design, then they need to invest in thermal/insulated cups b/c the current cups are simply too hot to hold when filled w/coffee.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Our Large Suite didn't have a tub, only a shower.
This alone would be a deal breaker for me. In a proper hotel, something called a "Large Suite" should have a bathtub.

New York hotels seem to be really bad in this regard. GH has many rooms with no tubs, and surprisingly even at the Four Seasons the entry level "moderate rooms" have only showers.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This alone would be a deal breaker for me. In a proper hotel, something called a "Large Suite" should have a bathtub.

New York hotels seem to be really bad in this regard. GH has many rooms with no tubs, and surprisingly even at the Four Seasons the entry level "moderate rooms" have only showers.
I was surprised by the shower only, esp. since the toiletry set included bath salts. It is a very large shower, with a small built in area upon which one can sit -but not a bath. The "splash suite" definitely has a tub - but I don't believe is an option for the suite upgrade.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bdemaria
I was surprised by the shower only, esp. since the toiletry set included bath salts. It is a very large shower, with a small built in area upon which one can sit -but not a bath. The "splash suite" definitely has a tub - but I don't believe is an option for the suite upgrade.
If the bath salts aren't being used for a stupid intoxication fix, then perhaps they are there for a bucket or min-tub in which to soak the feet, or housekeeping got lost or lazy.

Of my hotel bookings in Manhattan, the only hotel properties where ending up with rooms without tubs is common are the two Andaz properties. Everywhere else -- Grand Hyatt included -- I've always gotten rooms with bathtubs.

Especially as the use of a tub over a large shower is just not that attractive to me (more so when I'm unlikely to use the bath aspect of the bathroom instead of the shower aspect of the bathroom), I very much like large showers of the size the Andaz Wall Street and Andaz Fifth Ave have as the standard over a standard tub.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Especially as the use of a tub over a large shower is just not that attractive to me (more so when I'm unlikely to use the bath aspect of the bathroom instead of the shower aspect of the bathroom), I very much like large showers of the size the Andaz Wall Street and Andaz Fifth Ave have as the standard over a standard tub.
I agree- I don`t like bath and shower combos, so in some of those cases I would prefer a nicer stall shower with no bathtub.

Ideally, I look for rooms with bathtubs and separate shower stalls. Also, ideally the toilet should be behind a door, or at least have an enclosure around it. This can be difficult to find in places like New York.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Ideally, I look for rooms with bathtubs and separate shower stalls. Also, ideally the toilet should be behind a door, or at least have an enclosure around it. This can be difficult to find in places like New York.
At this Andaz, I haven't yet been assigned a room that has a separate bathtub from the shower; but my stays at this Andaz were all in rooms that had toilets physically segregated from the rest of the bathroom.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by stephem
Great rate at this hotel, found in sticky promo thread. I returns a $266 rate on dates I'm looking at:
Thanks for posting this; I just reduced my rate for a stay next month to $276!^
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Does anyone know if this hotel ever accepts Hyatt Stay Certificates? Entered some mid-December dates and the only message I got was that this code was unavailable for my dates. Never indicated if other dates are open.

Many thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:00 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by stevens397
Does anyone know if this hotel ever accepts Hyatt Stay Certificates? Entered some mid-December dates and the only message I got was that this code was unavailable for my dates. Never indicated if other dates are open.

Many thanks.
This hotel accepts the Inspire & Elite stay certificates. Please message us your dates, and I will be happy to check availability for you.

Sincerely,

Nick B.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black, A-Club Platinum, Hilton Silver, SPG Gold, Rica Gold, EBB
This hotel is on sale right now on Jetsetter.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by micke100
This hotel is on sale right now on Jetsetter.
That's a pretty decent sale, though I'd keep in mind that this stay won't earn stay credit.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
I am thinking that we have lost Jonathan the GM on this forum.

He has not posted since Dec. 20 and I have sent him two pm's in the last 3 weeks that were not acknowledged.

Too bad...
Old Feb 16, 2011, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Vinodavid
I am thinking that we have lost Jonathan the GM on this forum.

He has not posted since Dec. 20 and I have sent him two pm's in the last 3 weeks that were not acknowledged.

Too bad...
And I haven't seen him (not that I had any particular reason to...) at the hotel in the past three weeks (minus a few days I was away).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.