Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2015, 1:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
I paid AAA rate last weekend of $203, was upgraded to the Splash Suite, no Diamond Upgrade Certificate needed.

They have really downgraded the amenities, the NYC Andaz hotels have become the worst in the Andaz portfolio. London, Amsterdam and Maui put this hotel to shame.

Originally Posted by Miesque
From my perspective anything under $300 is a pretty good deal for Andaz Fifth, the lowest I have seen it is $240.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:38 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Originally Posted by Andaz5
I paid AAA rate last weekend of $203, was upgraded to the Splash Suite, no Diamond Upgrade Certificate needed.

They have really downgraded the amenities, the NYC Andaz hotels have become the worst in the Andaz portfolio. London, Amsterdam and Maui put this hotel to shame.
Can you please be specific about what amenities have been downgraded?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
You must be a newbie to the Andaz 5th ave.

The C.O. Bigelow Bath amenities are gone, downgraded to a cheap upstate NY brand

In the mini bar, the fuzzy spring and flat water, specialty local sodas are gone as well as the artisan potato chips from Brooklyn. The xoxo chocolates and peanut snack bar are gone as well.

In the mini bar on my last stay, corn nuts, coke, diet coke, soda water, cheap bottled water and beer.

The NYC Andaz hotels are a joke compared to their counterparts in London, Amsterdam, San Diego, Napa etc. etc.

Originally Posted by mmgm
Can you please be specific about what amenities have been downgraded?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:11 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Actually I'm not a newby. It's my favorite New York hotel. I wanted to see if anything major had changed before I return next month. Personally I can live with those drastic changes.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Andaz5
You must be a newbie to the Andaz 5th ave.

The C.O. Bigelow Bath amenities are gone, downgraded to a cheap upstate NY brand

In the mini bar, the fuzzy spring and flat water, specialty local sodas are gone as well as the artisan potato chips from Brooklyn. The xoxo chocolates and peanut snack bar are gone as well.

In the mini bar on my last stay, corn nuts, coke, diet coke, soda water, cheap bottled water and beer.

The NYC Andaz hotels are a joke compared to their counterparts in London, Amsterdam, San Diego, Napa etc. etc.
It's quite possible that many of the guests don't like the local brands and prefer something more familiar. These are very nice, well-located hotels and are hardly a "joke."
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
For $203 with free upgrade to Splash Suite, I would consider that amenity enough and spend $10 for the drinks and snacks I want. I have been to several Andaz and a few dollars worth of snacks and drinks would not be enough to sway me one way or another.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by thucanhho
For $203 with free upgrade to Splash Suite, I would consider that amenity enough and spend $10 for the drinks and snacks I want. I have been to several Andaz and a few dollars worth of snacks and drinks would not be enough to sway me one way or another.
Agreed.

And it's not like the C.O. Bigelow toiletries are anything wonderful. Not on my "worth taking with" list.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Agreed.

And it's not like the C.O. Bigelow toiletries are anything wonderful. Not on my "worth taking with" list.
The Bigelow has been replaced with Beekman which I found to be fine replacements (unless of course you happened to really like Bigelow).
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Agreed.

I'm on the same page as it relates to these 'changes'. I rarely, if ever, have anything from the mini-bar anyway.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Gunner14
I rarely, if ever, have anything from the mini-bar anyway.
The big difference is that with Andaz the non-alcoholic drinks in the mini-bar are free. That might encourage your usage.
But I agree, generic softdrinks vs some perceived artisan brand... what impact will that have on someone's stay.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
The big difference is that with Andaz the non-alcoholic drinks in the mini-bar are free. That might encourage your usage.
But I agree, generic softdrinks vs some perceived artisan brand... what impact will that have on someone's stay.
Oh, I know. I've probably had ~15 stays at Andaz properties and could probably count the number of drinks/snacks (other than bottled water) that I've taken out of the complimentary mini-bar on one hand.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The Bigelow has been replaced with Beekman which I found to be fine replacements (unless of course you happened to really like Bigelow).
Which is kind of interesting, because I got Bigelow at Andaz WS at the end of January.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:31 am

Seems like the NYC Andaz hotels share the same fate with Andaz West Hollywood, which also saw those cost cutting measures and went from a quirky, upscale boutique hotel to a party hotel. It's still an OK hotel, but just not the same.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scented
Seems like the NYC Andaz hotels share the same fate with Andaz West Hollywood, which also saw those cost cutting measures and went from a quirky, upscale boutique hotel to a party hotel. It's still an OK hotel, but just not the same.
That would seem to indicate that the "Andaz concept" is not necessarily a good fit everywhere
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:02 am

That would seem to indicate that the "Andaz concept" is not necessarily a good fit everywhere
Actually, I think the "Andaz concept" is past its prime. Hipsters standing around in their own clothes, iPads in hand, waiting to check you in was novel when iPads were novel. Now it looks a little dated and silly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.