Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2014, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dtwdoc
As previously mentioned, there is some decent noise from 5th avenue, however it has not bothered us at all, although we are biased as we grew up in NYC.
When I was there, front desk told me they are supposed to warn all guests on check-in about the noise on 5th Ave and offer alternative room if available.

$75 breakfast credit per day which is borderline considering NYC pricing. For example, My eggs ($20) with a side of bacon ($8), my wife's omelette ($23) with a side of fresh fruit ($13), two coffees for me ($10), a coffee for her ($5), and a glass of orange juice for me ($8), easily surpassed the allotted amount. We'll see if the total bill is taken off or if we are charged for anything in excess. Point is, for those expecting lavish multi-course breakfasts, or those interested in feeding more than two, please expect to pay. That said, the food is quite good.
Wow that's an impressive tab. Tops the Sofitel, which has (IMO) better food but very annoying service. FWIW, I found the Andaz breakfast menu exceedingly precious, but that is very much the trend in NYC and SF these days.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by w.sg
Breakfast is comp for diamond both inroom and at the restaurant for up to $75. Breakfast is served 24 hours through inroom dining. I would recommend you to call room service the night before to order and specify a delivery time. I had once waited over 90 minutes after ordering only to have them deliver 4 out of 5 food items I ordered wrong.

you may order items from the restaurant menu too. Contact someone to get the menu.
Can Diamonds still get $75 credit for room service breakfast?

I find RS far more time efficient than restaurant dining unless there is a buffet. Assuming it doesn't take 90m for delivery (has that improved??)
Old Nov 30, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Can Diamonds still get $75 credit for room service breakfast?
Yes, you have the option of room service or dining at the restaurant. However keep in mind the prices that I mention in a very recent post and that you need to add a $5.00 delivery charge and an automatic service charge of 18%.

Though I'm a fan of room service, I prefer to dine in this hotel's restaurant. It has incredible views of 5th avenue and the public library. Classy joint.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Gold
I just ended a four night stay, and was allowed to take room service as breakfast. At first, the desk agent told me no, but a manager on duty corrected and said that it is available as room service. We went over the alloted $75 on one day, and were charged the overage at checkout.

In my experience, the delivery fee and service charge are not included in the $75.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Wandertanavin
We went over the alloted $75 on one day, and were charged the overage at checkout.
I checked out this am and was also charged for anything over $75 (2 of 3 breakfasts). I really think this property needs to reconsider the breakfast allowance given the incredible prices. That or I need to stick with a single cup of coffee and cut the side of fruit out of my routine
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: Hyatt, UA
Staying from 12/29 to 1/1 on a points only stay so cant use a DSU , does this hotel ever upgrade on points stay? its my daughters first trip to NY so we are looking forwards to the stay , also should we do room service breakfast or resturant? I know Andaz doesnt do Diamond amenity do they give an alternative?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by rntraveller
Staying from 12/29 to 1/1 on a points only stay so cant use a DSU , does this hotel ever upgrade on points stay? its my daughters first trip to NY so we are looking forwards to the stay , also should we do room service breakfast or resturant? I know Andaz doesnt do Diamond amenity do they give an alternative?
For NYE the hotel occupancy is very high, so chances of an upgrade would be slim. Just FYI, this hotel does not have rollaway beds as far as I know. My prefernce at this property is to have breakfast in the restaurant, just ask to have a table by the window. There is a diamond amenity at Andaz properties. Its either 1k points or a special hotel amenity but I always choose points so do not know what they offer instead of points.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:10 am

Staying from 12/29 to 1/1 on a points only stay so cant use a DSU , does this hotel ever upgrade on points stay? its my daughters first trip to NY so we are looking forwards to the stay
In my experience, yes, based on availability. I have received an upgrade from a standard room to a loft suite twice, and to a view king once. I suggest emailing their reservations manager and explaining the special event.

also should we do room service breakfast or resturant?
Opinions vary, but I prefer the restaurant breakfast. The atmosphere and views from the restaurant are unique, as it looks out over the NYPL. I would recommend sitting in the front dining room, as the back room (closer to the lobby) isn't as light filled and doesn't offer as good people watching.

I know Andaz doesnt do Diamond amenity do they give an alternative?
Not sure if its because I'm a Diamond, because I've stayed during special occasions, or if its standard protocol, but I most recently received a plate of sliced cake. Don't remember what I received during my prior stays.

If your daughter is old enough to enjoy a glass of wine don't forget the free wine social in the lobby from 6p-9p. Also, during this time of the year there is usually free hot chocolate and/or warm cider in the lobby.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:12 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by dtwdoc
Not sure if its because I'm a Diamond, because I've stayed during special occasions, or if its standard protocol, but I most recently received a plate of sliced cake. Don't remember what I received during my prior stays.
I once received coffee beans and Cafe Grumpy mug. I liked the coffee, and my son loves the mug.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Staying from 12/29 to 1/1 on a points only stay so cant use a DSU , does this hotel ever upgrade on points stay?
NYE in Manhattan? Unlikely.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:52 pm

does this hotel ever upgrade on points stay?
Another possibility is to inquire about a paid upgrade at time of check in (if its in your budget). During my most recent stay over Thanksgiving weekend (hotel was near capacity at check in, and at capacity by Day 2 of my stay), the only suite available was a single Terrace suite, and it was offered at a slight upcharge.

Last edited by dtwdoc; Dec 8, 2014 at 1:01 pm
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 2MM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
For NYE the hotel occupancy is very high, so chances of an upgrade would be slim. Just FYI, this hotel does not have rollaway beds as far as I know.
Just to let you know, this hotel does have rollaway beds. I have used them on several visits.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:17 pm

Does anyone have an email contact for this hotel?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Gunner14
Does anyone have an email contact for this hotel?
There's an email address listed on the property's home page.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:21 am

I guess it would be helpful if I looked there. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.