Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 12:59 am

We just returned from a 3 night stay. Our stay was 'really good', though the staff members in the lobby are not overly friendly/outgoing/helpful. Every time we asked them for something it was like they were being bothered. On the contrary, every staff member of room service and housekeeping we ran into was pleasant. First time at an Andaz, and we did enjoy the free minibar!

A couple of notes. We booked using P+C and used a DSU to book into a splash suite. On arrival we were told we were further upgraded to a terrace suite. We had room 1110. The terrace suite suited our needs as it has a kitchenette with fridge/freezer/microwave. These came in handy as we were traveling with an infant. Although not as big as the splash suite, the space is used wisely. The living room had a pullout sofa, a small corner chair, and large table with two swivel chairs. The terraces (all of which are on the eleventh floor from what I could tell) vary in size. I believe we had the smallest of all terraces and it overlooked 41st st. Note the the edge of the building is offset from the railing of the terrace so you can't really look down onto the street. The terraces are only separated by a spruce tree, so you can see your neighbors if they are on the adjacent terrace.

We ate breakfast in the restaurant the first day and had room service the following 2 days. All three breakfasts ended up being in the mid-high $80s for 2 people (2 mains, 1 juice, 1 latte, 1-2 sides), but no overages showed on my final bill. I really enjoyed the virginia ham. I noticed the room service menu is a little different than the in restaurant menu.

To answer the above question, it seems that the balcony suites are on floors 12-14 and just have a tiny step out balcony - not even sure there is room for a chair or side table. This is just what I could see peering up the building while standing on the terrace.
Old May 1, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: HYATT-Nothingness; Starwood-Nothingness; AA-Nothingness
Originally Posted by pickles1107
To answer the above question, it seems that the balcony suites are on floors 12-14 and just have a tiny step out balcony - not even sure there is room for a chair or side table. This is just what I could see peering up the building while standing on the terrace.
There are a few rooms which have a full terrace/chairs/table, etc. I've had the smaller terrace version; however, looking below our room we could see a room/suite which had a larger table and chairs (and a late-night 'scene' which we shouldn't have been watching).
Old May 1, 2014, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by AA_SPG_Fan
There are a few rooms which have a full terrace/chairs/table, etc. I've had the smaller terrace version; however, looking below our room we could see a room/suite which had a larger table and chairs (and a late-night 'scene' which we shouldn't have been watching).
Our terrace had 2 chairs and a small table. I was specifically talking about the balcony rooms which did not look big enough to accommodate furniture.
Old May 13, 2014, 12:14 am

We recently stayed at an elite rate of $316 with a diamond suite upgrade. Upon arrival at 1pm, we were told our Splash Suite (for 1 adult and 2 small children) was not ready but a Balcony Suite was open.

It was fine for us though the kids didn't want to share the sofa sleeper and I was told it was a fire hazard to put a rollaway in the living room but they could put in an air mattress. The 5 year old didn't mind the rather large air mattress and I'm not sure it took up any less room than a rollaway but it seemed to satisfy them.

I found the shower temperature hard to regulate and the king size mattress a bit worn down on one side so there was a slope from one side to the other but otherwise everyone was very pleasant and accommodating.
Old May 19, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC
Booked in loft suite with hyatt cc suite nite

Tried booking several times and always got shot down since no availability
Since no splash suites were open. Called gold Passport to reserve room and was told suite was available for this weekend.
Didn't find out till checkin that I was booked into
Loft suite. The checking in agent said I was upgraded to loft suite I said I thought I was getting splash suite. After a few mins manager came over and
Tried to tell me loft suite and splash are almost same size. After I said splash suite is almost 300 sq ft bigger she said they open loft suites to allow
More suite upgrades for diamond members.
To get to room had to take 2 elevators and walk thru bar mitzvah party that was
Going on between the 2 elevators
Old May 19, 2014, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by shaker58
Tried booking several times and always got shot down since no availability
Since no splash suites were open. Called gold Passport to reserve room and was told suite was available for this weekend.
Didn't find out till checkin that I was booked into
Loft suite. The checking in agent said I was upgraded to loft suite I said I thought I was getting splash suite. After a few mins manager came over and
Tried to tell me loft suite and splash are almost same size. After I said splash suite is almost 300 sq ft bigger she said they open loft suites to allow
More suite upgrades for diamond members.
To get to room had to take 2 elevators and walk thru bar mitzvah party that was
Going on between the 2 elevators
What is a 'Loft Suite'? No such suite listed on the website...
Old May 19, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC
What is a 'Loft Suite'? No such suite listed on the website...
under deluxe rooms
Old May 22, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
We just returned from a 3 night stay. Our stay was 'really good', though the staff members in the lobby are not overly friendly/outgoing/helpful. Every time we asked them for something it was like they were being bothered. On the contrary, every staff member of room service and housekeeping we ran into was pleasant. First time at an Andaz, and we did enjoy the free minibar!

A couple of notes. We booked using P+C and used a DSU to book into a splash suite. On arrival we were told we were further upgraded to a terrace suite. We had room 1110. The terrace suite suited our needs as it has a kitchenette with fridge/freezer/microwave. These came in handy as we were traveling with an infant. Although not as big as the splash suite, the space is used wisely. The living room had a pullout sofa, a small corner chair, and large table with two swivel chairs. The terraces (all of which are on the eleventh floor from what I could tell) vary in size. I believe we had the smallest of all terraces and it overlooked 41st st. Note the the edge of the building is offset from the railing of the terrace so you can't really look down onto the street. The terraces are only separated by a spruce tree, so you can see your neighbors if they are on the adjacent terrace.

We ate breakfast in the restaurant the first day and had room service the following 2 days. All three breakfasts ended up being in the mid-high $80s for 2 people (2 mains, 1 juice, 1 latte, 1-2 sides), but no overages showed on my final bill. I really enjoyed the virginia ham. I noticed the room service menu is a little different than the in restaurant menu.

Free minibar and free room service breakfast? I'm new to the Hyatt program and never stayed at an Andaz, but is this standard for all of this brand or is it unique to this particular hotel?
Old May 22, 2014, 7:55 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by bigjim
Free minibar and free room service breakfast? I'm new to the Hyatt program and never stayed at an Andaz, but is this standard for all of this brand or is it unique to this particular hotel?
Free minibar (excluding alcohol) is a brand standard but room service breakfast for Diamonds is property dependent.
Old May 22, 2014, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by peteropny
Free minibar (excluding alcohol) is a brand standard but room service breakfast for Diamonds is property dependent.
Also worth noting the free mini bar standard at Andaz is nothing to write home about, just a few items
Old May 22, 2014, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Also worth noting the free mini bar standard at Andaz is nothing to write home about, just a few items
Not many items, true. But the quality was pretty good in my opinion: local potato chips, organic granola bar, local soda (plus the usuals), local cookie, milk, juices, green tea. We made good use of the mini bar items all 4 days.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:04 am

This is a good hotel, although personally I am not a fan of the mini bar items and never touched them. Nor do I think as highly of their pancakes (at breakfast) as some others here. But it is a a good Diamond breakfast especially can be enjoyed in the room.
Old May 23, 2014, 4:28 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I agree with Pickles1107. The things on offer in the minibar have allowed us to try products that we would never have tried. Some were delicious and are now on our list of drinks to purchase. And the chocolate was the best.
Old May 23, 2014, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
The potato chips are very good, had a few cases shipped out to California to share with the office.

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I agree with Pickles1107. The things on offer in the minibar have allowed us to try products that we would never have tried. Some were delicious and are now on our list of drinks to purchase. And the chocolate was the best.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 8:08 pm

Just checked in here and not impressed at all. I am diamond with Hyatt and got upgraded from a loft to a large King, on the 4th floor. I had E-mailed earlier to ask if an upgrade to a suite would be possible. They said though it was not policy to upgrade to a suite, they would do so if one was available when we checked in. We checked in and were told no suites were available. I just checked online and saw the Andaz suite was available, as well as the 2 bedroom suite. I called and asked for the manager, explaining we had an e-mail saying we would be upgraded to a suite if it was available. The manager said, no there are none available. I said I can book them online right now. Then she said they don't give these away on a complimentary basis. I said, so you'd prefer to leave them empty rather than upgrade me? She said yes! She said how the Andaz was a "different" hotel and they have sometimes 50 Diamonds staying. What that had to do with leaving a suite empty rather the. Upgrading me I don't know. I've had a lot of good luck being upgraded to suites with Hyatt. The Andaz did not h ave very nice Diamond treatment at all. I would not stay again. The large King is just too spartan. The bed is on the floor. It reminds me of a dorm room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.