Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:10 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by beltway
Yes, please continue this useful (but OT) discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...-families.html.
Agreed or a new thread but not this one since this one is for the Andaz Fifth and the info will be lost in here.

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
$75 per day, all included, can be taken in room. This is a very generous allowance.
I'll update on the 75 allowance.

Just quickly ordering for two looks to be near 100 not sure how realistic a full breakfast is here for room service. Guess I'm use to park hyatts nearly sky's the limit policy on breakfast - had a few 145 euro breakfast at vendome
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:47 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Sorry if it's been asked before, but do the Splash suites have nespresso machines? Thanks!

FDW
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Sorry if it's been asked before, but do the Splash suites have nespresso machines? Thanks!

FDW
My experience is from 1 year ago. At that time they did not. However, they were happy to bring one up at no charge shortly after I checked in. They even brought a small pitcher of fresh milk.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by mmgm
As of April it was $75 per day per room. No room service.
That is incorrect. Room service is absolutely allowed and has always been at this property.

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
$75 per day, all included, can be taken in room. This is a very generous allowance.
They never specifically mentioned whether or not the $75 credit is BEFORE or AFTER taxes and service charges. If BEFORE, a party of 2 could definitely order the minimum breakfast guideline set up by Gold Passport. If AFTER tax and service fees, $75 is definitely NOT enough for 2.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!

FDW
Yes, Splash Suites do have Nespresso machines.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:05 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Yes, Splash Suites do have Nespresso machines.
Originally Posted by schriste
My experience is from 1 year ago. At that time they did not. However, they were happy to bring one up at no charge shortly after I checked in. They even brought a small pitcher of fresh milk.
Thanks for the info.. so sounds like the answer is maybe... but definitely available... I'm a huge coffee drinker and this is important...

Any idea about parking charges? I think I saw somewhere that valet was $60 a day. Are there self park options? Are the rates inclusive of tax? SUV extra?

Parking charges are typically not eligible for HGP correct? Anyone know of any cheaper options in the area? I know that they won't be cheap...

Thanks
FDW
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:50 pm

Any idea about parking charges? I think I saw somewhere that valet was $60 a day. Are there self park options? Are the rates inclusive of tax? SUV extra?

Parking charges are typically not eligible for HGP correct? Anyone know of any cheaper options in the area? I know that they won't be cheap...

Thanks
FDW
I'd reserve using SpotHero or Parking Panda. I rarely will park in big cities without using one or the other.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
I'd reserve using SpotHero or Parking Panda. I rarely will park in big cities without using one or the other.
I usually use nyc.bestparking.com. It's coupon based and not prepaid so the upside is if I find a good street spot, then I'm fine with that. The downside is that it's not a guaranteed spot...

So I ended up calling and here are the rates:
$67.50 for cars, $78 for SUV/minivans. Inclusive of tax. Valet only. No in/out privileges. I was actually most interested in the in/out privileges of parking at the hotel because I will be visiting my sisters who live in the UES and the way UES....

FDW
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:10 pm

Just returned from a 3 night stay.. DSU to a splash suite... first time visit to an Andaz.. some quick thoughts:

Location: perfectly fine. We are walkers and walked as far north as Central Park Zoo (64th) and South as Madison Park. Some noise from fifth avenue, but there is noise everywhere in NYC. Bryant Park is quite convenient as well. We didn't take the subway any but I know that there's a stop at Bryant Park going West and I imagine that the 4/5/6 going east to Lexington is convenient. Also not too far from Grand Central.

Check-in: kind of a miss here. I called at 1330 asking if my room would be available early. I was told that check-in is at 1600. I asked them to check if my room specifically would be available at 1600. After a brief hold (to check I imagine) they replied that it would be available. We arrived at 1615 and at check in we the diamond benefits were explained ($75 breakfast credit in lounge or restaurant, late check out which was proactively applied and 1000 points) but low and behold.. our room was not ready. We were offered an Andaz King suite immediately or to wait till 1730 for the Splash suite. We opted to wait. At no point was there an offer to take our cell phone number to let us know that the room would be ready. Leaving our bags, we walked up to Rockfellar center, had an early dinner and were back to the hotel around 1930. When we arrived, we were asked if we wanted turn down service. I declined, given that our kids were already quite tired but turns out I had declined turn down for the entire stay. Keys in hand, we headed up to our room.

Room: Quite nice. Large, and the tall ceilings made it feel larger. This room has been reviewed ad nauseum so I'll get my remarks brief. Yes there was a Nespresso in room. Yes the bathtub is gigantic. Yes the bathroom is gigantic. Yes there is a view of the Library and Empire State building. Some quibbles though: The rooms aren't completely partitioned. There is a gap between the wall and the windows so sound can travel quite well. The blackout shades do not fully black out (though we wake up early so not a big deal). Why oh why isn't there a door on the toilet room? And why do the lights just randomly turn on and off.. I think some must be tied to the door but we would be sitting there and they would just turn off... Finally why is the max occupancy 2? Definitely room for a roll away. We had 2 adults and 2 small children and it was quite a nice room. All and all the room was fantastic and definitely worth both the wait and the DSU.

F and B
We took breakfast every morning in the room. The first morning, I felt that we needed to order the vaunted lemon poppy seed pancakes.. they were ok; not great. I felt that they weren't quite cooked all the way through. The real star of the show was the brioche french toast. let's just say many orders were consumed. One weird thing is that the menu advertised that one option was with fresh strawberries and the first morning they arrived as such; yet on subsequent mornings they arrived with a strawberry compote (definitely not fresh). I, being a savory food fan, had the scrambled eggs with chorizo and tomatoes which was ok and also the brioche fried egg sandwich. I thought that the savory options were merely okay while the sweet options stole the show. The thick cut bacon was ok, but the chicken sausage was a big hit.

Service
The service level was appropriate to this type hotel. Ice had to be requested and it was probably about a 20-25 minute wait for it. Housekeeping was good, not great. For example they often left behind some glassware, particularly the wine glasses. But, it was definitely a nice option to have a bit of wine at night. The coffee in the AM was also nice, and they were more than happy to bring decaf and or tea. I wish that the checkin process had been handled better

Checkout
This actually took a bit longer than I would have liked. The diamond breakfast credit was not taken off; plus the costco rate I booked included a $25 daily credit. In the end, only a straight $75 credit for breakfast was taken off each day so the folio still included tax and service charge. It had taken so long that I didn't wish to argue a bit more but I'm thinking that I probably at least should have had the value of tax/service taken off up to the first $75 each day?

Summary:
With a DSU and breakfast and costco promo this hotel was a spectacular value. the location was quite nice. Some quibbles with how the breakfast credit is applied but nothing that breaks the bank. We found fairly cheap (by NYC standards) at 44th between 5th and 6th (only charged $123 for 3 days parking in a SUV including tax). Will definitely return providing a DSU can be used.

FDW

Last edited by FlyingDoctorwu; Sep 1, 2014 at 1:31 pm
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:09 am

Just got back from a one night stay here. No complaints at all. Room wasn't ready at 1230 but they called at 130. They forgot to bring the newspaper in the morning but no big deal. We had breakfast that totaled 95+ this morning and the entire charge was taken off the bill. I was happily surprised. Breakfast was offered to us via room service or in restaurant. BTW their mochas are side of the best I have ever had. Manager also sent us champagne and pears for our anniversary. Love this hotel!

Last edited by ZBigFam; Sep 9, 2014 at 1:09 am Reason: spelling error
Old Sep 9, 2014, 4:04 pm

Finally why is the max occupancy 2? Definitely room for a roll away. We had 2 adults and 2 small children and it was quite a nice room.
Maybe I am dense, but how did you accommodate two children in same room if the max occupancy was two? Did you have to take a second room?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by eamus
Maybe I am dense, but how did you accommodate two children in same room if the max occupancy was two? Did you have to take a second room?
Crib and 1 on the gigantic couch... they didn't bat an eye when we checked in or asked for the crib....

FDW
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:54 am

Crib and 1 on the gigantic couch... they didn't bat an eye when we checked in or asked for the crib....

FDW
Ah, excellent, thank you.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
We had breakfast that totaled 95+ this morning and the entire charge was taken off the bill. I was happily surprised. Breakfast was offered to us via room service or in restaurant.
Did you receive the 95+ breakfast in your room or at the restaurant?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.