Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2021, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by adambadam
They aren't doing the drinks/snacks in the room, but they have some laid out in the lobby. In some ways this is even better than the room set up as you can grab a water or whatever everytime you come or go. My only wish here is I thought they could have had a little more variety. Something healthier than chocolate/chips would have been appreciated too. Even something like a banana or an apple I think would work better here in the lobby, vs in a room, given you can put out fresh ones as they are consumed instead of hoping people eat them in the rooms, where I imagine many would get wasted.
Just to note that the in-room snack selection pre-lockdown was literally a bag of chips and two pieces of chocolate, so very limited. I do agree more variety would be quite welcome.
Old May 24, 2021, 7:32 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
This property is having a 50% suites rate that I see periodically in the rates this summer. That is a pretty good deal on suites for this property. Not sure if this is a normal thing but seeing it for the first time at this property.
adambadam likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by adambadam
Was upgraded to Andaz Suite (could see it in the app before check-in).
Unlike for example the Splash suite, which is the same location and layout on each floor, I believe the Andaz suites are variable in size and layout.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 8:26 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just completed three night stay on points, upgraded to Andaz Suite with TSU. It had been a few years since last stay. There's some new furniture (beds, sofas, occasional tables). The beds are softer, which I really appreciate. The living room furnishings are bland and unwelcoming, and there's no artwork at all on the living room walls. I found the entire effect not particularly appealing. At least put some rugs on the scuffed hardwood floors and a splash of color on the walls!

Breakfast is still limited menu room service only. It was fine, very promptly delivered and all charges removed. Would be nice to see the property step up its game, open a restaurant, and enhance the service overall, as it's fairly minimal right now.

There were a couple of glitches, including an early morning fire alarm caused by workers sanding a floor and also a malfunctioning HVAC unit in our first room which they were unable to fix over the course of two days. Staff overall were responsive and did their best to resolve everything.

Overall a great value (zero balance at checkout) but not sure I would pay the cash rates to stay here.

And for those who are wondering, NYC is back! Restaurants and bars are packed, and masks are off. A very welcome return towards normal.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 9:35 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Kacee
There's some new furniture (beds, sofas, occasional tables). The beds are softer, which I really appreciate. The living room furnishings are bland and unwelcoming, and there's no artwork at all on the living room walls. I found the entire effect not particularly appealing. At least put some rugs on the scuffed hardwood floors and a splash of color on the walls!

Breakfast is still limited menu room service only. It was fine, very promptly delivered and all charges removed. Would be nice to see the property step up its game, open a restaurant, and enhance the service overall, as it's fairly minimal right now.

I agree a salute and applause to getting rid of the beds that felt like concrete.
Sorry to hear about the decor and the closed restaurant.I loved the original Shop looking out to people watch on Fifth Avenue and the once legendary pancakes
Hope some of the wonderful servers return
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I loved the original Shop looking out to people watch on Fifth Avenue and the once legendary pancakes
I still shake my head at the decision to close the ground floor restaurant in favor of empty exhibition space. It was always crowded when we were there and the lemon ricotta pancakes indeed legendary!
josephstern likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 9:57 pm

I still shake my head at the decision to close the ground floor restaurant in favor of empty exhibition space. It was always crowded when we were there and the lemon ricotta pancakes indeed legendary!
Take it they weren't on the room service menu either I'll assume
They weren't as good when they relocated downstairs before closing down but I'll chalk that up to a change in chefs.They require good technique
I tried with the recipe @ home and didn't succeed after near begging the hotel for the recipe originally
During my hiding from covid I recreated some other great dishes from other hotels and restaurants successfully and much unnecessary weight gain.
Its a long road back (sigh) I'm planning a return to the Park Hyatt NY soon due to the Andaz current room service situation
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:56 pm

Take it they weren't on the room service menu either I'll assume
Nope. Avocado toast, American breakfast, smoked salmon bagel, breakfast sandwich, or yogurt parfait. Still delivered in a bag, with wooden utensils. We had the smoked salmon (it was mediocre) and the yogurt parfait (hard to mess up). Sunday we went to brunch at the Smith instead. It was much better.

It's a decent mid-pandemic breakfast (better than most Marriotts, for sure) but hopefully they'll be upgrading to a real breakfast with NYC returning to normal.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know there are labor shortages and lots of businesses can't get back to where they were, but I do feel like hotels have cut out services under the umbrella of the pandemic, and they haven't been forced to bring them back under the threat of competition. Breakfast was once a big part of my stays here. Back in the days of having four people, I could entertain in that dining room on Fifth Ave basically for free each morning.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 1:53 pm

Thoughts?

Breakfast from my understanding is the highest profit margin meal yet hotels want to overly monetize it even to elites
now who create the lion’s share of profits to the chain
who had in some cases a more reasonable promise historically to the guest.Be interested to hear what Gary Leff thinks about these changes
Granted some have expense accounts.During the financial blood bath during Covid hotels and airlines are now looking to cut
just about every cost they can attack from breakfast costs to housekeeping and energy costs
I get to their defense it’s a long road back but I also believe they haven’t gotten creative with it as opposed to just cutting back customer expectations
The end results in some hotels you wake up in the middle of the night sweating form their cutting back the energy/ thermostat
and little to no housekeeping and closed or limited dining/restaurants.Many jobs will not be coming back sadly.
Hotel companies seem to believe they can turn almost every property into limited service properties
As I continue to experience some disappointing stay experiences in properties in & out of Hyatt hotels
Have less desire to resume my personal volume of business anytime soon.I see my hotel night volume of nights going forward to a tenth of what they once were for today

Just the thought of airline rewards and hotel night awards being static now any amount the corporation feels like charging
and the upcoming seasonal awards @ WOH soon to be rolling out after delays etc
All of that will keep me away plenty as well as reduced breakfast benefits and quality standards.
I’ve lost my passion for traveling when there isn't a joyous hospitable experience and a great breakfast to wake up to.
Happy to stay home where I have beautiful views and a luxury kitchen I can create a great experience I wish for the most part.

In particular Andaz 5th Ave the breakfast was 60% of my reason to stay there in the past despite liking the property reasonably.
However it isn’t a soundproof 5 star property just a nice lifestyle property
The reality is I can buy a room anywhere happily for a fraction of their 25k /400 dollar ADR plus taxes etc
Last I stayed @ Andaz 5th just over a year ago they told me no more Splash suite upgrades
(though they originally confirmed such they tried to renege on their promise ☹
I booked a brand new Sheraton in Midtown next month for 94 dollars and The Bernic (also looks new) @ 129 per night on the East side
(which appears to have very high ratings in the reviews)
The InterCon Times Square and the remaining nights @ Park Hyatt of course much higher then all of them
When I go luxury I expect to pay a premium and get a premium experience but there are great hotels 3 and 4 star for a lot less
and I prefer to pay the premium when they can deliver on all or most fronts

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 23, 2021 at 10:38 am
Old Jun 23, 2021, 12:51 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
I booked a brand new Sheraton in Midtown next month for 92 dollars and The Bernic (also looks new) @ 129 per night on the East side
There is no new Sheraton anywhere in Manhattan.

The hotel is a dump, with an average rating of 3.6 among Marriott customers.

I guess there may have been some recent remodeling? So it's no longer a filthy dump?

The Bernic seems fine, but it's a small property. It's a place to put your head on a pillow.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by rogo

Yeah any Marriott with a rating under 4.0 is an automatic "avoid."

I think though the broader point is that with cash rates >$400 per night, Andaz 5th may not be competitive. At that price, I would seriously consider FHR at the Langham, where rooms usually start in the $500s.
rogo and TravelingChef like this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by rogo

I guess there may have been some recent remodeling? So it's no longer a filthy dump?

The Bernic seems fine, but it's a small property. It's a place to put your head on a pillow.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._New_York.html

Room Total Summary
94.00 USD / night
11.84 USD Taxes and fees
To avoid JFK hotels its a bargain and an escape
The reviews were basically solid on and off the Marriott site on this somewhat newish small Sheraton
Only gambling on one night there as an experiment with a midnight arrival.What could go wrong?
I mix up the week with an assortment of experiences from 3 Star to 5 star.
Stay in the higher end as my trip winds down where I tend to be in the room more or socialize with family and friends last 3 or 4 nights.
Overseas I want all 5 star properties typically when I'm abroad
Bernic too is a short experiment one or two nights but 300 plus dollars a night for the Grand Hyatt or 20k in points I couldn't stomach the experience even for a 25 coupon I'd rather buy or upgrade my breakfast
I heard guests complaining the beds were too soft at the Bernic which means I will probably love it lol
Looking forward to the new Grand Hyatt NY redo down the road
beltway likes this.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 23, 2021 at 10:39 am
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:26 am

Yeah any Marriott with a rating under 4.0 is an automatic "avoid."

I think though the broader point is that with cash rates >$400 per night, Andaz 5th may not be competitive. At that price, I would seriously consider FHR at the Langham, where rooms usually start in the $500s.
Agreed and love the Langham NYC best beds in the world custom made Duxiana beds to die for
I would kill for Hyatt to run the hotel.Those beds are like 7000 dollars each and up retail.Have one at home and owned them for over 25 years
My friend from Australia previously managed it and she took great care of me.So I don't typically go there anymore
I wasn't a fan of some of their business practices though and its not the Hyatt culture or I would likely be a Langham customer.
And well their program sucks .Love to see Hyatt partner with them
rogo likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._New_York.html

The reviews were basically solid on and off the Marriott site on this somewhat newish small Sheraton
Only gambling on one night there as an experiment with a midnight arrival.What could go wrong?
I mix up the week with an assortment of experiences from 3 Star to 5 star.
Stay in the higher end as my trip winds down where I tend to be in the room more or socialize with family and friends last 3 or 4 nights.
Overseas I want all 5 star properties typically when I'm abroad
Bernic too is a short experiment one or two nights but 300 plus dollars a night for the Grand Hyatt or 20k in points I couldn't stomach the experience even for a 25 coupon I'd rather buy or upgrade my breakfast
I heard guests complaining the beds were too soft at the Bernic which means I will probably love it lol
Looking forward to the new Grand Hyatt NY redo down the road
A Four Points is fine. We don't here call a Four Points a Sheraton, it's just a language thing.

The Grand Hyatt in Manhattan is a dump on the order of the Sheraton in Manhattan.

Avoid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.