Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:15 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Moving Chicane
For those of us (VERY) casual photographers using a cell phone as our only camera, what does a "camera app" add/get us over the stock .jpg's?
iPhone cameras have gotten so good these days that I got rid of my DSLR. The space saving was worth it.

More advanced camera apps let you control the focus, exposure, etc. more precisely. There are also great apps for timelapses, long exposure (including "smart" long exposures)
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by helvetic
iPhone cameras have gotten so good these days that I got rid of my DSLR. The space saving was worth it.

More advanced camera apps let you control the focus, exposure, etc. more precisely. There are also great apps for timelapses, long exposure (including "smart" long exposures)
Some of them are even made by Flyertalk regulars (I make Halide and Spectre, a 'smart' long exposure app).
EuropeanPete and helvetic like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:30 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by caliform
Some of them are even made by Flyertalk regulars (I make Halide and Spectre, a 'smart' long exposure app).
Amazing! I use and love Halide and Spectre (and it's what I was thinking of when I said "smart long exposure")! Good job!
caliform likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
On my visits to NYC, I've typically stayed at PHNY on points since regaining top-tier status at Hyatt. However, I've given up on PHNY due to multiple service failures and utter lack of service recovery. I decided to try Andaz 5th and have since stayed there three times. Overall, I think it is a superior option to PHNY when factoring in TSU usage or just paying cash outright, despite the typical form-over-function flaws of Andaz-type hotels.

Two stays I did points + TSU and the other was cash + TSU. Each time I was confirmed into the Andaz Suite, and that's what I was given at check-in. I'll note that there are at least two very different layouts for this room type (and neither seems represented well by the picture on the hotel website). One had an entry hallway with kitchenette on one side and work desk on the other leading into the living area, and another hallway off to the side that split the bedroom and bathroom. The other layout had direct entry into the living area, which had a kitchenette and a long, narrow desk separating two couches, and a door to the side that entered directly into the bedroom. The former had far more closet space and the latter was quite limited in that regard, but I think I preferred the latter layout since the main desk was actually in the living area. Also, the latter layout faces the rear of the hotel (instead of 41st) and was really quiet, although I thought both rooms were significantly quieter than the 11th floor studio suites at PHNY that Globs are typically given. I will say I did find myself missing the shower at PHNY.

In any case, both were true suites and actually better than the suite that DSUs granted when the hotel first opened (the Loft Suite, which does not have a door separating living area and bedroom).

I did room service breakfast a few times and there were no charges at all on my folio at check-out (not even a delivery fee, unlike PHNY). I was a bit disappointed by the free snack offerings in the room - only a bag of chips and two chocolate pieces. Beverages were plentiful, with several bottles of water, sparkling water, and soda. I did like having a big refrigerator in the kitchenette along with a microwave.

I did encounter a few service issues during my stays, but the service recovery was a night-and-day difference compared to PHNY; in one case, staff went way above and beyond to rectify the situation. Arguably service failures shouldn't happen at such a rate at either of these hotels, but I feel like the culture is completely different at the Andaz.

The general consensus on this board that 30k for PHNY is a better value than 25k for Andaz 5th is probably accurate (if you never have to interact with the PHNY staff, anyway) - but the equation changes a lot when factoring in what 25k + TSU gets at the Andaz. Also, the Andaz sometimes has low rates even when booking a suite outright. Looking at dates for a future trip I'm taking to NYC, the Andaz Suite is $300/nt cheaper than a base room at PHNY. Andaz 5th is far from perfect but it'll probably be my go-to on future NYC visits.
boulderflyer21 and flyersky1 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gengar
Each time I was confirmed into the Andaz Suite, and that's what I was given at check-in. I'll note that there are at least two very different layouts for this room type (and neither seems represented well by the picture on the hotel website).
I think the Andaz Suite is kind of a generic room description for random suites spread across the property that don't have a specific layout or location. Unlike Splash Suite or Balcony Suite, which are all pretty similar.

Of all the suites I stayed in at this property I liked the Splash Suite best (though the bathtub location was a bit odd). The 5th Ave View Suite had an awesome view but the layout was not great. I never tried the Terrace Suites.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think the Andaz Suite is kind of a generic room description for random suites spread across the property that don't have a specific layout or location. Unlike Splash Suite or Balcony Suite, which are all pretty similar.

Of all the suites I stayed in at this property I liked the Splash Suite best (though the bathtub location was a bit odd). The 5th Ave View Suite had an awesome view but the layout was not great. I never tried the Terrace Suites.
That's good to know re: Andaz Suites. Since the picture on the website didn't match either of the rooms I stayed in, I figured there may be more than just the two variations I've experienced.

I may just book the Splash Suite next time to try it out, since it's not much of a premium over the Andaz Suite over those dates.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
On my visits to NYC, I've typically stayed at PHNY on points since regaining top-tier status at Hyatt. However, I've given up on PHNY due to multiple service failures and utter lack of service recovery. I decided to try Andaz 5th and have since stayed there three times. Overall, I think it is a superior option to PHNY when factoring in TSU usage or just paying cash outright, despite the typical form-over-function flaws of Andaz-type hotels.
The general consensus on this board that 30k for PHNY is a better value than 25k for Andaz 5th is probably accurate (if you never have to interact with the PHNY staff, anyway) - but the equation changes a lot when factoring in what 25k + TSU gets at the Andaz. Also, the Andaz sometimes has low rates even when booking a suite outright. Looking at dates for a future trip I'm taking to NYC, the Andaz Suite is $300/nt cheaper than a base room at PHNY. Andaz 5th is far from perfect but it'll probably be my go-to on future NYC visits.
Completely agree with your assessment! The Andaz 5th Avenue is now my go-to Hyatt in NYC, as I absolutely loathe the Park Hyatt NYC!
Old Jan 30, 2020, 8:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JB Mosaic, SW AList + CP
is there another thread i cant find? or has there not been a review in 8 months?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:11 pm

I stayed there in early December last year and everything was excellent as always everything's really good at this property breakfast is great although I loved it better when it was on the ground floor. Globalist treatment is great as well I was upgraded to a suite for two nights. I think there aren't any recent reviews just because everything is good as usual.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JB Mosaic, SW AList + CP
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
I stayed there in early December last year and everything was excellent as always everything's really good at this property breakfast is great although I loved it better when it was on the ground floor. Globalist treatment is great as well I was upgraded to a suite for two nights. I think there aren't any recent reviews just because everything is good as usual.
thanks.

is it worth it to blow a suite upgrade here if its only for 2 days? Its for 4th of july so i dont think an upgrade would be available otherwise.

i currently have one but might remove the suite upgrade
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:40 pm

All depends on what you value, for me I love their suites so I would always use tsus here, if you don't need the extra room though their regular rooms are nicely sized.
broncophil likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by broncophil
is there another thread i cant find? or has there not been a review in 8 months?
Nothing to report, really. I've stayed twice since my last post, once on points+TSU and once cash+TSU. On the cash+TSU stay, I was further upgraded to the Splash Suite.

I would rate Andaz 5th an excellent use for TSUs. The TSU is the "Andaz Suite" and while they have widely varying layouts, all the ones I've been given are true suites and are large. Obviously if you have longer stays planned at properties that also have good TSU suites, that may be a more optimal use.

The Splash Suite was a nice upgrade, but a big negative is that the bedroom occupied the corner of the building at 41st/5th and got lots of street noise. Also, none of the bedroom curtains were aligned well, so let in tons of light (although not sure if this was specific to my particular room). It also didn't seem that much bigger than the TSU Andaz Suite, especially since a lot of the space is wasted for walking through (e.g., the walkway to the bedroom splits the shower and the tub in the bathroom).
Old Feb 2, 2020, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Nothing to report, really. I've stayed twice since my last post, once on points+TSU and once cash+TSU. On the cash+TSU stay, I was further upgraded to the Splash Suite.

I would rate Andaz 5th an excellent use for TSUs. The TSU is the "Andaz Suite" and while they have widely varying layouts, all the ones I've been given are true suites and are large. Obviously if you have longer stays planned at properties that also have good TSU suites, that may be a more optimal use.

The Splash Suite was a nice upgrade, but a big negative is that the bedroom occupied the corner of the building at 41st/5th and got lots of street noise. Also, none of the bedroom curtains were aligned well, so let in tons of light (although not sure if this was specific to my particular room). It also didn't seem that much bigger than the TSU Andaz Suite, especially since a lot of the space is wasted for walking through (e.g., the walkway to the bedroom splits the shower and the tub in the bathroom).
A lot of the rooms and suites are ill-fitted for the blinds.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
A lot of the rooms and suites are ill-fitted for the blinds.
That's unfortunate; I guess I just didn't notice it in the other rooms (or it's more obvious in the Splash Suite because of the room being a corner). Judicious placement of throw pillows from the couch (to hold an edge of the blind closed) or bath towels (to fill actual gaps) worked well, but got old whenever I wanted to open the blinds.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The Splash Suite was a nice upgrade, but a big negative is that the bedroom occupied the corner of the building at 41st/5th and got lots of street noise.
Which floor were you on? It's much better higher. I had a fifth floor library view here that was one of the noisiest NYC rooms I've ever had.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.