Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2021, 12:57 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by freckles123
Curious at what price point would people consider this property to be a good value for a Globalist. People seem to consistently be slightly disappointed with the hotel
I think this hotel is a great deal for 25k+TSU. This is one of the few properties where the standard suite was actually improved over time (now the Andaz Suite, was the Loft at opening). I certainly wouldn't pay $500+ for a base room here.

Earlier this year on a paid standard room + TSU (IIRC my rate was ~$400), I was upgraded to a 2BR suite without prompting. This was an amazing room with the floor-to-ceiling windows of the upper floors with great views of the library and down 5th Ave all the way to One WTC, and I appreciated the breakfast (room service only at the time) that was promptly delivered without any need to sign any bill. I'm disappointed to hear that they are often denying standard suite upgrades to Globs; it's not like they don't have a ton of Andaz Suites.

If you're willing to pay close to $500, then FHR or other TA programs likely deliver better value at other properties.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TravelingChef
My thoughts exactly. Almost made the same post. I see a surprising number of, "The app was showing standard suites available but I didn't push it..." across numerous Hyatt property threads.

Drives me crazy because they should be called out on that every time and maybe, over time, they'll change their behavior.

Asking for a benefit that is clearly offered in the T&C doesn't make anyone pushy or an a-hole. At least part of how properties continue to get away with this stuff is because apparently plenty of Globalists just take it lying down.

I'm not looking for a fight or verbal showdown at the front desk over a suite, but if I'm checking in and there are standard suites for sale in the app and the front desk is saying otherwise, then I'm either going to need a real good explanation for the discrepancy or they're going to magically find a suite for me, which is usually what happens.
I'm especially sensitive to this as several months ago I had an experience (not at this property) where a HR supposedly gave me an upgrade (to a small narrow cell-like room with a supposedly better view) when standard (junior) suites were available. I called the desk when I saw my room and tried a dummy booking. They refused to move me unless I paid an additional $100 (this was a HR where my room rate was about $100) to upgrade to the junior suite. I called my WOH concierge, who wasn't on duty at the time, and insisted that the "team member" straighten this out immediately as the situation seemed clearly to violate the published T&C regarding Glob upgrades. My impression was that a "team" supervisor called the hotel and read them the riot act as the assistant manager on duty became quite apologetic....and of course I was moved from the awful room.
TravelingChef and DCADavis like this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I saw this coming when the hotel got new owners and later the Splash suite no longer
could be confirmed as a standard suite
Was confirmed in a Splash suite right before the change and on arrival downgraded despite assurances
A total embarrassment when you have to explain it to your family member
After some awkward back and forth for hours I was able to get the original suite back but never returned

Also the current Lemon Pancakes don’t hold any resemblance at all to the culinary excellence they had achieved in the past
No comparison except in name.That’s what happens when you lose your chef and move your exceptional vibrant light filled restaurant to the basement as much as I hate to say it.The former pancakes were life changing in the way one experiences pancakes.Mind you I dislike all pancakes so that’s saying something!
The strawberry brioche French toast too!
It would have to be in the sub 300s for me to consider a paid stay. I can't fathom paying $500 USD to stay here.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gengar
I think this hotel is a great deal for 25k+TSU. This is one of the few properties where the standard suite was actually improved over time (now the Andaz Suite, was the Loft at opening).
For quite a while, the Splash Suite was the TSU suite. Those are much nicer than the Andaz Suites, which all have interior views.

On an award stay with TSU, I'm willing to overlook the weird bathroom layout, bare floors, industrial furniture, and complete lack of decoration. But this property could be so much more appealing.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've only one gotten the splash suite - at my first ever stay there, long, long ago.

But the regular suites are fine for me. I wouldn't pay $500 for a standard room there, though. Last time I was in a standard room, the small couch was threadbare, there was almost no natural light, walls were scuffed.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Kacee
For quite a while, the Splash Suite was the TSU suite. Those are much nicer than the Andaz Suites, which all have interior views.

On an award stay with TSU, I'm willing to overlook the weird bathroom layout, bare floors, industrial furniture, and complete lack of decoration. But this property could be so much more appealing.
Sure, but it's still better than what it was at opening. I don't think I ever stayed at this property when the TSU suite was the Splash Suite, although I was further upgraded on a TSU to one ~2019.

One of the Andaz Suite layouts I've been given faced 41st (not that there was much of a view). I'd actually prefer the interior view type I've had before, for both layout and noise reasons.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Huh. I've only ever had the type on 41st.

Were these other ones on that other elevator shaft?
Old Sep 24, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
One of the Andaz Suite layouts I've been given faced 41st (not that there was much of a view). I'd actually prefer the interior view type I've had before, for both layout and noise reasons.
Originally Posted by josephstern
The Andaz Suite we were assigned in July was at the end of the hallway parallel to 41st (turn left out of elevators) with interior view. It was quiet and got a reasonable amount of light. It wasn't a bad room, but it lacked any character at all.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 5:11 pm

Huh. I've only ever had the type on 41st.

There might be at least three layouts, since I've been given an Andaz Suite on 41st (right across the elevator bank) and the other type around the corner facing the interior, and neither match the pictures used for the Andaz Suite on the website. Both rooms I've been assigned were accessible from the main elevator bank. I didn't even now there was another elevator bank.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I’ve seen 4; 2 on the fifth Avenue side; t we o on the other. The Splash suite and the balcony suite are on opposite sides I think.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 7:12 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
I wouldn't pay $500 for a standard room there, though. Last time I was in a standard room, the small couch was threadbare, there was almost no natural light, walls were scuffed.
Definitely not competitive at $500 / night cash. Honestly, depending on your value for Hyatt points, I don't even think it's worth 25K WoH/UR for many people. Just a normal full-service hotel.
hotelfanatic likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There might be at least three layouts, since I've been given an Andaz Suite on 41st (right across the elevator bank) and the other type around the corner facing the interior, and neither match the pictures used for the Andaz Suite on the website. Both rooms I've been assigned were accessible from the main elevator bank. I didn't even now there was another elevator bank.
I've only dealt with the other elevator bank once. I had my kids with me, so needed a room for them with two beds. I think you have to go to the second floor where the cooking school area is/was and walk east and then north a bit and the other elevator was over there. Not an amazing room, but basically fine.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
The Splash suite and the balcony suite are on opposite sides I think.
We've had balcony and splash suites on 41st street side - splash at the west corner with LR facing 41st, BR overlooking 5th, balcony to the left coming out of the main elevators. I'm under the impression (but could be wrong) that all the splash suites are in same location on SW corner, with the long bathroom space connecting LR to BR.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
I’ve seen 4; 2 on the fifth Avenue side; t we o on the other. The Splash suite and the balcony suite are on opposite sides I think.
I had a balcony suite on the SE corner of the building, so still along 41st. Still technically opposite sides, just east/west.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: none
I’m about to transfer UR points to Hyatt to book 2 nights here at 25k on standard room. We don’t have Hyatt status and will be traveling with 2 kids. How likely it is to get an upgrade for a bigger room? Or if anyone has been offered a good price to upgrade closer to traveling date? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.